Color Help

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kareng

Reaction score
Just received results back on a filly I was never sure on her color. Dam is silver (chocolate) dapple and sire is sorrel/white pinto (non-homozygous). I thought she was a light silver dapple b/c I didn't think there was any cream but I guess there is (if I'm reading results correctly). Cream nCr and silver nn Does that make her a palomino??

kareng

Here is a pic:

taffy_3_1_.jpg

Just received results back on a filly I was never sure on her color. Dam is silver (chocolate) dapple and sire is sorrel/white pinto (non-homozygous). I thought she was a light silver dapple b/c I didn't think there was any cream but I guess there is (if I'm reading results correctly). Cream nCr and silver nn Does that make her a palomino??
kareng

Here is a pic:

View attachment 1128
Did you do any other color tests?

Based on the picture and the results you list, she would just about have to be palomino (one cream, no silver and she looks palomino). nCr means one copy of cream (so basic possibilities are palomino, buckskin or smokey black) and she has no silver.

What color are the dam's parents? This could tell you where the cream gene came from. The dam could be smokey silver black, and it wouldn't be very visible, if at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. She looks Palomino to me.
default_smile.png

I didn't do any other color tests. I didn't know what other ones to do. I don't know the color of the dam's parents.

kareng

I didn't do any other color tests. I didn't know what other ones to do. I don't know the color of the dam's parents.
kareng
Based on the tests you did do and the color she appears, she is likely to be palomino, as she has no silver (which can really affect the color), and she does have cream. She's very cute.

One of her parents would have to be a dilute in order for her to be a dilute. It has nothing to do with what her parents parents where. Just like the grey gene, one parent would have to be grey in order to produce a grey.

Since her tests came back that she is carrying a cream gene, my guess would be that her dam is a smokey black. Often breeders get confused with the smokey black gene as it can be any color from black to a liver chestnut color.

One of her parents would have to be a dilute in order for her to be a dilute. It has nothing to do with what her parents parents where. Just like the grey gene, one parent would have to be grey in order to produce a grey.

That's true.....but knowing what color the grandparents are would help to determine what genes are "possible" for the parents to be carrying, if not known.
default_wink.png

Latest posts

Back