Color help please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimomNC

Reaction score
So, doing the registration paper work for my weanling filly and now I get to color. She looks chestnut and I would put chestnut except, she also shows some characteristics of silver bay. Her dam is the same way, and all of her foals have been black based (bay, buckskin and black) but she was bred to a buckskin twice for the bay and buckskin and to a black to get the black foal. So I don't know if she carries black and is silver bay or what. I do know the buckskin was not homozygous for black but the black stallion was.

So this foal is sired by a chestnut that hides silver and he has sired red and black based foals. Ok, so now I am confused too. So I ask, what color is this filly. And yes, she has Bend Or spots.

Pictures were taken about a week ago, freshly clipped and she measures a whopping 21" at 4 months. She is on track to be under 28". The halter is an XS and its taken up all the way.

And she is a fiesty red head so her barn name is Lucille.

AMHAlucyright.jpg

AMHRlucyright2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure who the sire and dam are, guessing the silver bay mare on your mares page and the sorrel stallion you have?

A sorrel has two red genes, meaning any black based horses he sired, the black has come from the dam.

If the mare on you site is the dam, she couls very well carry one black and one red gene also, but black is dominent, hense the black based silver bay coloring.

Do you have photos of the filly prior to clipping?

Just looking at the dark black legs I'd go for silver bay too. Can't do a chestnut with black legs that I know of. She's a stunner!

Thank you, I thought she was silver bay as well, but I am not always sure. Her dam isn't on my website anymore, She is Villas Party Doll, sired by a solid bay, SG Rangers Nightrain and out of a silver dapple SG Pocohontas, so I was pretty sure she is black based but she isn't a typical silver bay. So I will go ahead with Silver Bay. Thanks so much.

I went and looked at a bunch of pictures of your mare from young to old, pasture to show ring and I just can not see her being black based. To me, she is definitely red based, though she has two full sisters who are silver blacks so could very well be a silver carrier. I think this foal will be a nice, dark chestnut that could be a silver carrier. Have you seen any of Silent Partner's red based foals by chance? The darkest chestnuts I've seen-beautiful in the show ring!

I've been leaning towards chestnut, as well, but kept coming back to look before posting.

I googled the dam. I have to say while she could be siver bay, I am really leaning toward her being sorrel. I had a filly born here that was red based, had the black in her tail and all. She was a funny red/orange shade, she carried dun. When she was first foaled, she looked to be an apricot shade, some even thought she would shed out to be a palomino, but she wasn't.

If the dam is truely red based, not silver bay, and the sire is red based, the foal would have to be red based (sorrel).I think the legs just appear shaded due to counter shading. I would guess it will grow out red.

Latest posts

Back