Color Halter class

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandi

Reaction score
I was just reading some of the different types of classes there are out there for minis and WOW was I surprised to see the vast list of things. I saw that there is a color class and was wondering what exactly is being judged. Is it 100% on color and markings or is it 50 markings and 50% conformation? Any help would be appreciated thanks

It is judged differently in AMHA and AMHR in AMHA it is a percentage conformation and color- in AMHR it is all strictly 100 percent color you walk your horse in a circle both ways and the class is pinned no setting up or anything (although some do when they are asked to stop in the circle and face numbers to the judge)

I had an opportunity to speak w/ a couple of judges on how they place a color pinto or solid class... they both reponded as saying to is strictly the judges personal preference.

Color class is "just" about what color horse the judge likes the best. It's not about what horse best represents his color (as I thought many moons ago). Just the color the judge thinks is the nicest.

In AMHR, it is strictly about color. Conformation is not to be a factor. In AMHA, it is 80% just the "best" (favorite) color to the judge but 20% is also based on conformation. So if a horse is awesomely colored in the judge's eye but has a conformational issue that the judge doesn't like, he/she may place the next best colored horse w/o a noticed confomational issue over what is actually his/her favorite colored horse in the class.

Thanks for the clarification! That is pretty interesting. I would have thought that it would be judged on how the horse best represents his or her color and not the judges "favorite" color of horse.

In showing has anyone seen trends with certain judges that say always pick a buckskin, appy, silver, etcetera... I was wondering this if it doesnt really go by the best representation of.

This is straight from the AMHA rulebook:

CL-020 SPECIALTY HALTER CLASSES

A. In color classes, horses are to be judged 80% on the natural

color of the horse, and conformation to count 20%.

In color classes, horses are to be circled both ways of

the ring in order to judge the 80% color. Horses must be

lined up, head to tail in the center of the arena, to judge

the 20% conformation. If offered the classes must be

divided as follows:

1. Multi-color stallions and geldings (limited to Pinto

and Appaloosa only)

2. Solid color stallions and geldings (open to all other

colors)

3. Multi-color mares (limited to Pinto and Appaloosa

only)

4. Solid color mares (open to all other colors)

While I believe that this class should be judged on the best representative of that particular color/pattern, many times it is judged simply on the judges preference. I show in these classes at most shows and am usually surprised by at least one judges placings at every show!

Yep, buckskin is often a "favorite" of judges. Silver dapples are flashy, too. Blacks who are really black can place well, particularly with "chrome" such as four white socks.

Not to say I've never seen other colors such as chestnut win... it's a gamble!

It's just a "fun" class to go in, something that anyone can get in the ring for the first time with. You can send a kid or a family member in. And, people usually enter this class for some reason, so it's a good money maker for the shows as they can get extra entry fees and the class doesn't take that long.

Andrea

It seems that the judges for AMHA not only go for color, the horse must have conformation too. At the World level you will find many well known horses who have won color, and then go on to win in halter classes too. Flying W Farms Magic Man is one of them. His first claim to fame was winning the World Color Class. The following year, he won his halter class too.

I think for pintos, they like a lot of color (the louder, the better). For solid color, they seem to go for buckskins, silver bays, anything with two tones of color. ie: their manes being a different color than their bodies.

Eons ago, back when AMHA was new, the only color class was for Pintos and Appaloosas. The idea was then to pick a horse that did represent the standard the best. Then the palomino and dominate gray folks started asking that since they were also "Color" breeds, why didn't they have a color class for them. So the solid color class was invented.

Yep, it's the judge's personal preference (AMHR) with a little conformation thrown in (AMHA). I've seen some horribly conformed horses win color because they happened to have an outstanding or unique coat. Not dwarfs, but just bad legs, etc. I've also seen some gorgeous horses - like Magic Man - win color and then win halter also. Last year my bay colt won his halter class, and then win color, and go on to win National Champion Solid Color over.

This is a nice class for anybody to enter, particularly new folks or kids. Typically very laid back with little pressure. But its' fun for us old timers too!

It really does take a lot of work to win a color class. Your clipping and grooming skills have to be impeccable, not to mention the time you will spend in the prep area making sure that your horse is as shiny and pristine as it possibly can be. Unfortunately, there is no standard to what wins or does well in a color class. If the judges happen to like greys, that's what they will place, if it's a judge who favors buckskins, they will pin a buckskin first. A few even like solid blacks. What's important to remember, is that whatever happens, don't be upset with the results, there is absolutely nothing you can do, to enhance your chances of winning this class, besides pretty grooming. You can not practice, or train your horse to be the color that judge likes that day, especially when you have no control over what the judge will like. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back