Color compare. Do any of you have any pics of......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueStar

Reaction score
I am looking to compare colors....would like to see difference in foal colors with hair and clipped if possible and then adult if you have them. Want to compare dun, dunskin, grullo, silver grullo, and buckskin. I clipped our 2009 filly and am more confused now than before we clipped!! LOL She looked buckskin but had a dorsal (no other dun markings so far) Now she has a grullo look to her in places but has cream hairs too and a cream muzzle. She has black legs and a black mane and tail with some silver in it (hard to tell if it will stay with baby hair). Beside her tail and under where it has shed out is cream. I am sure we will test for cream so we know for sure. I will post pics but have only taken ones with head and neck clip. If you have any insight please let me know.

IMG_2334-357x229.jpg

IMG_2339-367x236.jpg

IMG_2359-359x230.jpg

Here she is clipped (except legs-black under hair)

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2501.jpg

IMG_2507.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2543.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She looks Black Dun (Grullo) to me, clipped coats mean almost nothing, the colour always changes when you clip them!!

She looks Grullo unclipped as well.

I think she looks to be buckskin. I can see why Jane says black dun (grulla) because in the first picture, the shadowing makes it look that way, but I feel in the second photo, where her face is not shadowed, her muzzle looks lighter, making me feel she is buckskin (possibly dun).

What color is her sire? Pics??

Alright...I am confused now:( She looks buckskin to me, but what is the difference between buckskin and dun?
default_wacko.png

If she has a cream muzzle she isn't grullo. Grullo is black + dun, and you won't see a lighter muzzle on a black. Here's our grulla mare Field of Dreams Hearts Desire (Myiah).

Baby Myiah: three days

adult Myiah: two years

Lucy

I would say a dunskin. Which means a buckskin dun. She has the dun stripe down the back, so must be dun. Plus she is buckskin in color. Many dunskins will have darker points (like face) because of the dun gene. Often people mistake them for grulla. But a true grulla has stiping elsewhere.

I have one weanling who eveyone thought was a grulla because of the photos, but she is a bucksin dun roan. Found that out when I clipped her head and neck down. Can not do full bodies yet and am not sure when I will be able to do them.

We have had an unusually COLD spring so far. It is in the high 40s right now and raining. Poor horses were shivering when they came out to eat. At least in the shelters they have their combined bodyheat to keep them all warm.

Alright...I am confused now:( She looks buckskin to me, but what is the difference between buckskin and dun?
A dun has the stripe down the back, but they can still be buckskin, just called a dunskin. Still carries the cream gene.

Thanks for asking--these colors are so confusing. I'm in the same boat with my 2009 colt. I don't want to have the registries pick the color--I want to know the color. Too cold to clip here too.
default_wacko.png

A dorsal stripe does not necessarily make it a dun. A buckskin CAN have a dorsal stripe and not carry dun, but a dun MUST have a dorsal stripe. Dun is a dilution gene as is buckskin, but both are totally different and unrelated from/to one another. The dun gene makes the duns (and grullas) and cream makes the buckskins, palominos, smokey blacks, and double dilutes.

tallysfoal3.jpg

An hour old grullo colt

Tallys_foal.jpg

Just born

hero.jpg

almost 3 weeks.

Dam: Grullo her sire Palomino near leopard her dam: grullo )

Sire: sorrell his sire red dun his dam sorrell. ) both parents Shadowplay bred

Thanks for everyones insight so far....I was able to snap a few pics tonight so will get them uploaded and post tomorrow. These one will be of her clipped except for legs (which are BLACK). Cannot wait to see what you all think when you see her now!!
default_wacko.png

Yes, Grullo is Black based but a ) it is not always as dark as your mare and 2) if there is Pangare present it will have a nose muff....Fjord Black Duns are not typical it is true, but maintain the nose muff.

mouse2.jpg

Mouse, Black Dun

charm2.jpg

her half sister, Charm, also Black Dun!!!

OK-I added pics of her clipped. If I were to take a guess i would say smutty buckskin or dunskin. She has so much cream undertone, and yet her dorsal is so distinct too.

Sorry, I'm confused. Is dunskin the same as dun? If not, what's the difference?

Anyone else want to try guessing now that I have added the clipped pics? I think we will test her for cream so that we know at least that.

She has the look on the body and legs my silver buckskin had, so that was my first idea--but with the dorsal I agree with dunskin. But, heck, I only know what I've learned recently trying to learn more.
default_rolleyes.gif

Wow, that's some dorsal she's sporting. I'd say she is dun of some sort. What color are her parents? Her dam looks dark bay in the picture.

I have grulla's. I'm with Mona totally on this. What color are her sire and dam? In order to be dun, (grulla is in the dun family) one of her parents have to be a dun. She's a cutie!!!

Latest posts

Back