Coggins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleRibbie

Reaction score
Coggins ?? I was just wondering how many people have coggins done every yr. on all their horses....My horses do not ever leave the state, no showing or traveling and dont interact w/any one elses horses. I only have 3 so it really isnt going to "break the bank " but was wondering about people that have lots of horses. Do you only do the horses that show or leave the state ? Florida may have a law that says that I have to and I always have.. but just wondering if maybe.... every other year? .....I will most likely keep doing it every yr. because of hurricanes and emergency situations.....but was curious to hear from others.

Heidi

I started out with the intention of getting a coggins test every year. That soon fell through. All my horses have a negative coggins test when they arrive and will have when they are sold. I do not show at the present time, so they are not coming and going.

I never do it unless one has been sold and is leaving.

We do it on horses that leave the farm to visit or participate in something like a show or parade. New horses bought or ones sold have a negative Coggins coming and one going. If they stay here as broodmare, etc and never leave, no.

Same as the other replies - horses coming and going have Coggins whether they are showing, being bought or sold. My stallions have Coggins as they are occasionally bred to outside mares. The mares etc who never leave the premises do not have a yearly Coggins. I read something interesting not long ago - EIA has been controlled so effectively, there was only a very small number of cases in 2005 (last date available I guess when they wrote the article). There is some conversation about changing the requirements, probably a reasonable thing to do. However the Coggins test requirement and general awareness has had a lot to do with the reduced number of cases so I would hope they don't go overboard in loosening requirements.

Jan

Every state is different some require you to have a coggins for horses sitting in your back yard never leaving . others for driving down the street or riding your horse across the street- here in ID we only need one if we have a horse coming out of or into this state

Any horse that leaves the property for any reason has coggin's

Any horse that never leaves does not!

Joyce

My horses that are going to shows or doing events away from home get it as well as ones that are for sale. The ones that will only be hanging out at home do not need it and do not get it done.

We run Coggins on all animals on the property every January, and all horses are required to arrive with proper documentation. My personal animals have theirs pulled in March and September (every six months). No exceptions here
default_smile.png

Question for those that don't pull coggins for animals not routinely leaving the farm: what happens if you have an emergency? Or heaven forbid you need to travel to another state to get to a hospital? That's actually a Federal offense
default_smile.png
I personally don't care if they don't routinely stop trailers; even if you can get away with it, its still violating the law.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of my 17 horses, all have coggins done this year except 4. The 4 that are not done are 4 broodmares who don't leave the farm.

Question for those that don't pull coggins for animals not routinely leaving the farm: what happens if you have an emergency? Or heaven forbid you need to travel to another state to get to a hospital? That's actually a Federal offense
default_smile.png
I personally don't care if they don't routinely stop trailers; even if you can get away with it, its still the law.
Good point Nathan. I only pull on horses that leave the state to be shown, bred, whatever. Our equine hospital is about 70 miles away in the same state and we dont have natural disasters up here to speak of except for a fire now and then, only one has ever been close to us. But it would pose a problem if we did ever need to evacuate to another state.

In Montana, I believe anyway, you have to have coggins, health cert, and brand inspection to pull out of your own driveway. Washington is just out of state.

Last edited by a moderator:
We run Coggins on all animals on the property every January, and all horses are required to arrive with proper documentation. My personal animals have theirs pulled in March and September (every six months). No exceptions here
default_smile.png

default_smile.png
I personally don't care if they don't routinely stop trailers; even if you can get away with it, its still violating the law.
There are MANY options for horse hospitals in my state, so it will not happen that any of mine "have to" travel out of state unexpectedly.

Here only those leaving the country get coggins tests done. Here the only time they are required is for leaving or entering the country. There may be a few shows that require them, but none in this area. There are a few barns that require them. One transport company lays over at a certain barn when hauling west from the prairies, and that barn does require coggins. So, if we were to ship a horse with that transport it would need a current coggins if the horse has to lay over at that barn; if the horse is being dropped off prior to arrival at that barn, no coggins required.

Here I don't know anyone that has a coggins done unless they need to; just not something that is done routinely.

In Montana, I believe anyway, you have to have coggins, health cert, and brand inspection to pull out of your own driveway. Washington is just out of state.
Not quite that strict for Montana.

You need brand inspection, health cert and neg Coggins to travel in or out of the state (if you are coming in then the vet doing the health inspection needs to contact the MT brand Inspection office to get a permit number to enter the state).

Travel within the state, you need a brand inspection to cross county lines (you can get a permanent travel permit brand inspection, good for as long as you own the horse).

You need a brand inspection anytime a horse changes hands.

This coggins test really annoys me, ok say I had one done in lets last week, neg but somehow that horse got it 4 days later but its traveling around the united states spreading it. So whats the point? I do them but I think its ridiculous just like a 45 or 30 day health cert. Horses get sick after a health cert is done, people can still take them to shows with a temp or with whatever. Kinda of all pointless. JMO

Well, I wouldn't agree that the chances of a horse dying of swamp fever (Equine Infectious Anemia or EIA) are slim and none. Things may have changed in the past 30 years but I don't think they have changed that much. I had 2 horses "caught" in a swamp fever epidemic in eastern Connecticut in 1973. It just took one horse coming from the midwest without a Coggins to develop the disease and spread it to others in the boarding barn. The diease wasn't diagnosed until he died. By the time the quarantine was over - weeks later - through multiple tests, somewhere between 17 and 20 horses had to be put down.

Having seen the devastating effects of that epidemic, I probably test more than I really need to, but will continue to do so. Both my horses survived in 1973 but it was a very traumatic time for everyone involved.

default_smile.png

Our vet is mobile so he HAS to come here to treat our horses. He does not have a clinic. We have some good horse centers in the state and if I have to have an emergency run, they can pull the Coggins at the hospital. If I get caught hauling a sick animal to the hospital (very unlikely) then I will pay the fine and go on.

I would MUCH rather see Rabies shots required than Coggins.In our state more horses die from Rabies than anything else.

Good point Nathan, I have considered that and have a few times had to haul without one. Usually it's just TO the vet, and if they want to fine me they can follow me into the clinic and I'll have one pulled lol.

I do know someone who got pulled over recently and the trooper asked to see all their Coggins - first time I've heard of that happening just randomly on the road.

Jan

We live in FL and next to an Ag station, SOOOO no horses can travel anywhere, not even trail rides without a Coggins. Its actually a PIA, they can contract the disease right after the blood is pulled. Sighhh

Latest posts

Back