Coggins

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Coggins test is a blood test for antibodies for Equine Infectious Anemia. EIA positive horses are required to live in perminent quarentine or destroyed (euthanized) to prevent the disease from spreading. The argument people use against the test, claiming its the product of money hungry vets, is that the test is only valid for the horse BEFORE the blood is drawn. After the blood is drawn, the horse could get infected. So theoretically a horse could get infected 10 minutes after being tested, and spread the disease everywhere for an entire year until the test "expires". Hence why I do my testing twice a year, before mesquitos come out, and after they die.

I too have known horses that were destroyed because they tested positive (they do perform multiple tests before condeming a horse to die), and I rather my horse be euthanized before they spread it to too many others, hence why I pay for more strict testing.

It is federal law to have a negative coggins test preformed less than 12 months before crossing any state boarder. Some states have stricter laws (most, in fact) requiring proof of ownership and/or 6-12 month negative coggins test to be on any public road. Other states do not require Coggins for instate movement (Colorado did not require instate coggins, but did require Brand Inspections... Kentucky requires coggins and health certificate for any movement, intrastate or interstate.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to always get a Coggins pulled until a friend said why are you doing that as they never leave the farm? So, for many years I did not have a Coggins pulled. Then 3 years ago when we were still in FL, a hurricane threat meant we might have to evacuate. But...guess what? We couldn't get into any barn without a current Coggins. Luckily we didn't have to evacuate, but I did have the vet out and had Coggins pulled on everyone. Now that we are in TN, I still have Coggins pulled whether they leave the farm or not. What if a tornado came or some other disaster and we did not have Coggins, then no one would let our horses come on their property. Better safe than sorry, just a form of insurance.

Other than entering the state, it's not required in Az, so I don't have it done unless traveling to another state.

Jessi

Thanks everyone ...some really good points addressed. If I lived in another state I, perhaps, would reconsider but the one year i do not have a coggins would be the year we get big hurricanes .....up the creek without..... Heidi

Latest posts

Back