Coat Color

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tab

Reaction score
He looks to be agouti black bay. Parts of him appear seal bay and the "Lips" spot on his back is pitch black and non-fading. I clipped him to be sure he wasn't silver, and sure enough the black marking is black as night. Would you just suggest I register him as a black bay pinto? Is there such a thing in AMHA?

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg

I would just register him as black pinto. He's obviously black based.

But he is obviously not really black - I think I would register him as dark bay pinto....
default_smile.png

He is not a black pinto, he is a bay pinto. A black bay pinto is just a dark bay pinto so register him a bay pinto because that is what he is.

Pretty boy!

He looks to be agouti black bay. Parts of him appear seal bay and the "Lips" spot on his back is pitch black and non-fading. I clipped him to be sure he wasn't silver, and sure enough the black marking is black as night. Would you just suggest I register him as a black bay pinto? Is there such a thing in AMHA?

IMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3520.jpg
I agree with those who said "Bay Pinto". You can usually tell even the darkest bay colors from black by looking at the hairs around the muzzle. If they are any shade of bay/brown, that is a bay horse, even if the body looks black. He is definitely a cutie!

Bay pinto is what he truly is then. My closest ever to a black and white pinto and I'm excited about him! AMHA doesn't have black bay as a selection but that is what I would personally call him. His grand dam is also registered as solid black, and she's also the darkest shade of bay IMO. Black as night except for agouti. All but two of my horses are bay, some with silver modifiers. Thanks for sharing your opinions/suggestions! If only coat colors were as easy as black and white ;)

I have no clue about colors, but I just wanted to say that second picture made me laugh...it's so adorable!!!!
default_wub.png
:wub
default_biggrin.png
:BigGrin

The nose muff would indicate Brown, but since the AMHA cannot yet discriminate between a Grey and a Silver Black, and since Brown is still Black + Agouti, even if it does have an added "t" I do not think you should overtax the AMHA computer just yet!!

If you run him on as a stallion it would be worth having him tested.

Thanks for the compliments. He is a lot of fun. Of all things that is one certainty! It wouldn't hurt to have a couple tested. One of my flaxen chestnuts (to see if he carries silver), Romeo's grand-dam, and Romeo. It's probably something I will do in the future!

Flaxen is no indication of Silver in Chestnuts as Silver does not show on Red. But testing is always fun!!

I know this, but testing would tell me if he carried silver.

Latest posts

Back