Nugget

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My horse neighbor came over to help me this morning.  Nugget does not like his private parts touched and goes into a kicking fit.  So she came over to hold the leg with a rope while I rubbed him.  After a couple of lessons with the rope, he stood fine and I was able to do some necessary cleaning.  Then we cross tied him to try the sulky on him.  He did not mind it behind him and was just a little nervous  with the whole thing.  I might be able to do it by myself next time, but probably will get help at least one more time.  We practiced standing on a pedestal and shaking hands. 

It's kinda funny to think about but I guess most people don't think to handle a horses undercarriage. The little Smokey gelding that we are watching for the summer is the same way. Tried to clean his sheath and he went ballistic. I like the rope method, I'll have to get a helper and give that a try.

Sounds like you might have found yourself a new driving horse. Time will tell but the signs this far seem good. Especially if it only took a couple lessons for him to get used to you touching him to clean. Sounds like he catches on quickly :)

My minis are not bad about it, but the Welsh pony is just horrid.  The vet has to sedate him   :No-Sad .  No amount of treats, thinly veiled threats, desensitizing or cajoling works. He was a cryptorchid and had a difficult gelding procedure, so no one is getting down there and that is that.  Nugget sounds MUCH more sensible!  

Lots of people wait to clean sheaths when horse is under sedation.  I wasn't able to do buckly yet when he left me, and his new owner is the "let the vet do it" school.  I've heard mares need to be cleaned also.  Just something that has to be done.  Nugget didn't seem to mind it at all when we got into it.  I've only had to do one other horse with the rope on the leg thing.  Just a couple of times and they stop kicking.  Just a light pressure to keep him from kicking is all it has taken.  Nugget has gotten over being head shy also;  I guess he got smacked in the past.  Maybe he used to be a nipper; so far he has never tried to nip me.  He is the first horse I've had that i have known absolutely nothing about his past. 

Sounds to me that "Nugget" could be a really good fit for you Marsha. If he has overcome his head shyness , he is starting to trust & bond with you. 

One of my big horses was extremely head shy when i first got him 11 years ago. To the point , he would nearly flip over when I made a sudden movement , when I was anywhere near him. It took a good 2 years for him to trust me and to realize I would never lay a finger on him, in a bad way.  Some horses are treated so terribly by owners, that they should banned from owning them in the first place. I cant fathom why any horse should need to be hit across the head. 

Best of luck with him :)

I forgot to post the picture I took while waiting for the neighbor to come over.  He does not mind the harness at all.  His back is much longer than Dapper Dan's, and I think he is at least an inch taller.  I have not measured him yet.  Still have not decided whether to invest in the DNA tests or not.

Nugget harness.jpg

Looks like the harness fits well. Nugget is put together really nicely.  

Funny how they are all built so differently, sometimes in surprising ways.  Cappy is about 2 inches shorter than P-nut but his back is quite a bit longer, he is built like a "hot dog".  Cappy's neck is longer, too, come to think of it.

What do you use the ramp for?  Do you put them up on a platform to groom them?  I wish I had a stand for mine when it is clipping time.

He's so great!

I guess, for me, the DNA test would depend on if I was planning on showing him or competing in a capacity that I would need him to be registered to compete. I always think it's fun to know but then I remember how "thrifty" (nicer than saying cheap I suppose) I am and that always wins out.

He's so great!

I guess, for me, the DNA test would depend on if I was planning on showing him or competing in a capacity that I would need him to be registered to compete. I always think it's fun to know but then I remember how "thrifty" (nicer than saying cheap I suppose) I am and that always wins out.
Yeah, the money is one reason I haven't sent the hair in yet.  If I could be sure I'd find out something, it would be an easy decision. But if none of his ancestors are in the system, it would come back as a total zero.  It isn't something I have to decide to do right away.

Yes, that is a grooming stand. It is home made and permanent.   I used to use it alot when I had cordless clippers, but there is no electricity near my horse area so now I have to do my clipping closer to an outlet.  I do teach all my hroses to walk up it and stand there, just in case I need to use it for any reason.

Well, he's had a snotty nose for several days.  Called the vet today and he said it might be distemper.  The sale was 3 weeks ago; I suppose it could be something he caught there.  Vet said there are over 100 strains of distemper and Nugget might be resistant.  He did not want to do antibiotics now.  I will watch him for a few more days, and meanwhile vet suggested I separate the two.  It is probably too late, but maybe Dapper Dan is old enough that it won't be a problem for him.  8" of rain has made everything a muddy mess and a challenge.   "Mucking out" takes on a whole new meaning.  Water is still coming off the mountain, and likely will for several more days--when more rain is predicted.  At least we got the farm ponds filled up.

Nugget is very lively and bright eyed, so I don't think he has a fever.  Took him walking with me for the first time this morning.  He did pretty well; we practiced transition commands, whoa, and some turns to give to pressure.

Oh yuk.  That is NO fun to have to deal with.  Would that be the same thing as strangles?  I can see where it would be hard to keep them quarantined from each other if  everything is a swampy mess.  I would bet DD does have some immunity, being an older horse.  

A few years ago, both my older ponies got snotty noses.  It was in Feb and they hadn't left the property in six months.  Never did figure out what it was.  It ran its course in about 4/5 days.  They never coughed or had a temp, just lots of boogers.  Hopefully Nugget will be the same and will be as good as new in a day or so.

Hopefully it is not distemper/strangles.  He had noticeable respiratory noise yesterday but the nose was not as bad.  Does not seem feverish at all.  I went ahead and put them back together as he seemed stressed to be isolated and I figured dapper dan had already been exposed anyway.

More rain today and more due this weekend.  Easy to see how this soggy weather can be a health problem.  He is due for his next parasite paste, but I will hold off for a while.

Not to startle you, but distemper and strangles are pretty much the same thing, or so I was told years ago.  If it is Strangles it's very manageable and cureable, just disgusting.

Not to startle you, but distemper and strangles are pretty much the same thing, or so I was told years ago.  If it is Strangles it's very manageable and cureable, just disgusting.
Yes, I heard they were the same thing.  But the vet said there are over 100 strains of distemper; maybe strangles is one kind.  He has never become lethargic and his nose seems better.  So far no swelling underneath, though I've heard that comes toward the end of the cycle.  My sister brought a miniature home from the same sale and she had to go on antibiotic as she was running a fever.  Horses not connected at all, just the same sale.  Her horse was kind of run down, though, and Nugget was not.

We are doing a little ground work while I wait for the dentist.  Just basic stuff, like turning, backing, whoa, and stand.  It's too soppy here to do much, though I've taken them out on the paved road a few times, just so their feet can feel some dry land!

Hopefully Nugget will get over it on his own accord. We've had a few get snotty and "rattle" sounding. Ours is usually when the pasture is gone and we start them on hay. Our vet suggested that it's the dust from the dry hay irritating them while they get used to it. When they are grazing on the grass it's not a problem. One he gave an allergy shot and that cleared her right up and the other was fine after a week or so. Sounds like there are several things that can cause snotty nose and you are keeping a close eye on him. You never know quite what you are getting at a sale. Was he local or did he come from a ways away? Whenever I've moved to a new area to live it seems like a few weeks to a month after I move I get sick. I always figured it was my body adjusting to a new place with new germs. Wonder if it's the same for horses??? Anyway, sounds like your on top of it so whatever it is you guys will work through it :)

Nose discharge pretty much gone.  Both still have runny eyes; that seems to be chronic for Dapper Dan the last few years.  Must be something in the pasture.  They are both better if I keep the good fly masks on them.  Nugget is now the boss.  I heard it is common for older horses to be usurped by younger ones.  He seems fine with it, so I need to quit getting emotional about it.  Have not had a chance to do much training with Nugget because of weather and working at my mom's house (garage sale this weekend and then hopefully it will almost be over).  Usually October is a gorgeous month, weather-wise, and I had been looking forward to opportunities to work with him. I don't need my rubber boots in the pasture now, but it's still soggy everywhere.  I just need to be patient.  Meanwhile we are working on ground manners a little.  He is very smart.

Glad he is feeling better.  Don't worry about the pecking order too much, I bet they will sort themselves out to a place where they are both content.  But it is difficult to watch when the fur might be flyin' and to be honest, I don't listen to my own advice and I keep my two "faux stallions" separate, lol.

So glad things seem to be clearing up with him. I know what you mean about being emotional about the pecking order. I have the same problem. I'm sure everyone is right and the horses work it out and don't care but I have a hard time when a new guy comes in and pushes my old guys around. I feel like they've earned the right to be on top. Respect your elders and all. How fun for you with Nugget being so smart. It's so rewarding when you have a horse that just "gets it". Hopefully you'll dry out soon :)

Latest posts

Back