coat color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frostedpineminis

Reaction score
Hi, I need to ask the help of the color experts in the forum family!!
default_saludando.gif

Ok, so I have a little buckskin stud that when I bought him had one foal on the ground, a little cremello colt, also I think that a little palomino filly born here should be his as well but I havent DNA tested her as I also have a cremello stud that I want to rule out as he could be a possiblity. Also when I bought the stud he came with a coat color test from UC Davis and on it it said that he carries the red and black gene, one copy of the cream gene and is Homozygous for Agouti, which means black points. So my question is with him being homozygous for agouti, is it possible for him to throw a palomino and a cremello or should he only pass on black points??

thanks

default_biggrin.png
Nicki

Hi, I need to ask the help of the color experts in the forum family!!
default_saludando.gif

Ok, so I have a little buckskin stud that when I bought him had one foal on the ground, a little cremello colt, also I think that a little palomino filly born here should be his as well but I havent DNA tested her as I also have a cremello stud that I want to rule out as he could be a possiblity. Also when I bought the stud he came with a coat color test from UC Davis and on it it said that he carries the red and black gene, one copy of the cream gene and is Homozygous for Agouti, which means black points. So my question is with him being homozygous for agouti, is it possible for him to throw a palomino and a cremello or should he only pass on black points??

thanks

default_biggrin.png
Nicki
Yes, with a Red gene, he can throw Palomino, Cremello, and Sorrel/Chestnut. Agouti will not show on a Red based horse, even when they carry it. He cannot produce Black or Smokey Black, as the Agouti will make it a Bay or Buckskin.

really??? hmm you learn something new every day
default_yes.gif
I wish they would tell you this stuff, I have never read that before haha. Ok, so if I coat color tested the foals would they carry a copy of the agouti gene and just not show it?

and would breeding him to a sorrel or chestnut have a pretty good chance of throwing a lot of red base colors like more sorrels and chestnuts?

Since your boy carries both Black and Red, he has a 50/50 chance or throwing either. Therefore, if bred to a mare that also carries Red, there is the chance of a Red based foal.

Bay is Black based, Black + Agouti. The Agouti restricts the Black to the points. Buckskin is Black + Agouti + Cream. Red is recessive, so they can carry Red and still be Black based.

Since your stallion is homozygous for Agouti, all his foals will carry at least one copy of Agouti. Therefore, a Red based foal of his (on which the Agouti will not show)can pass that Agouti to their foal and produce a Bay or Buckskin from a Black or Smokey Black mate.

wow, you are a wealth of knowledge. I had know idea about all this stuff. Thankyou for this it makes sense now.

What a wonderful website! thankyou for the link I will be bookmarking it for future reference and no problem for the compliment it was well deserved and I really take pride in having such a wonderful forum family like you guys.

Latest posts

Back