Coat Color and Pattern likes and dislikes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's really cool about minis and ponies is that no matter what your favorite color is they come in that color! And you can find the temperament and conformation you prefer probably in your color.

Like Lisa I go by personality first, which is why I have a pony who isn't my favorite color, but if it was important all the colors of the equine rainbow are there for you.

There are very few horses with bald faces that I like because it widens their heads and the pink around the eyes is ick! Also not a fan of heavy mottling. I cross my.few spot on non-appy mares with no appy background and I get lots of wild color without all of the mottling, I love it.

A solid black with stockings is my favorite
default_smile.png

Im a pinto purist too. LOL LOVE roan pintos. Black faces with blue eyes are my favorite! However, I can appreciate a LOUD pintaloosa too.

i'm being pretty hard on overos, too. If your horse has a gorgeous head even a bald face isn't going to mess it up
default_smile.png
\My friend has a riding horse who is overo with a partial bald face who is a work of art. I guess it really depends on the horse. That's where one can appreciate any horse. If you were to paint Billy Idol green he would still look good. A bald face on a fine chiseled head can be beautiful. It's good to be picky, though. I am brutal to my own herd. You can't lose that if you are in the breeding aspect. Fronts (shoulder angles, particularly), movement, and head size could improve in some of my herd. I love pintos but I love solids. Color is just a bonus. My current, only non-retired broodmare Niobe has kind of a cobby head, she's also kind of a dachshund, but she has lovely movement and the most personality of the group. She IS just like Martha from Martha speaks. If she could talk she would be Martha! The most curious and fearless horse in my barn. So personality can trump all other things. Some just wouldn't be that special in color or conformation, but the personality truly makes that horse stand out!

(As the original poster said, I am treating this as strictly color - so funny we all know what is being asked in the first post but we all feel like we have to clarify this has nothing to do with conformation, personality, movement ect... MYSELF INCLUDED)

I have a lot of colors I love but if there is a liver chestnut out there, my eye goes to that horse first. I want the blue eyes. I think they have a haunting artistic quality about them. I also like bay and love grullas or duns. I enjoy double dilutes and what they are capable of doing. I love a lot of wildly marked pintos but get bored with the tobiano pattern. A lot of tobianos can be very plain to me. Even some toveros (despite the blue eyes) can be marked kind of plain if they just have one blotch on their hip and maybe a dark circle on their head with no frilled edges. I like crazy edges on my pintos if that makes sense. It looks lacy or like torn paper along the spot. I dont mind minimally marked pintos if they have blue eyes. That is very striking.

I dont care for the silver modifier or silver in general. I think it washes out too much. Of course there are still silver horses I like such as Nickelodeon ( I think thats his name - silver black stud with a pink spot on his nose I believe.) Also I have seen some silver bays that are really something . When they get to be that deep red like the original posters avatar (and my first mini I might add) I appreciate the color but in general I dont want in a heard of horses I am breeding (going by just color) because of what it does to the other colors. Same for gray.

I am long winded on this one. (I edited it just to say that) XD

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I used to dream of having a true blue roan, solid, with blue eyes when I was a kid...haven't found one yet!! My favorite color to see out there glistening in the ring is a silver bay...Boston Buckeroo was always one of my favorites because that color just (to me anyway) makes a horse look so rich and almost glow!
default_smile.png

Was on vacation when this thread was started, but wanted to say what everyone already knows -- I LOVE SPOTS !! (including fewspot appaloosas whose only spots show on their skin when they're wet! LOL!)

But my 'heart horse' was Grosshills El Rey -- a black tobiano pure Falabella stallion who stole my heart at our first meeting.

I was trying to think of a color or pattern that I don't like -- and haven't come up with one yet. I've had the pleasure of owning almost every color and pattern over many years except I've never had the pleasure of owning a frame overo. I've admired them, but as an appaloosa breeder I've never owned one.

I love the pintaloosas as much as the appaloosas with their unique patterning -- and prefer the leopard patterned pintaloosas with the bold, large pinto markings. Well, let's just say I love them all -- but I'm partial to appaloosas and especially those with the cream gene!

I love Palominos or chestnuts with flaxen... I LOVE flaxen on horses. My Red Dun mare has a flaxen mane that I just adore. In general, I don't really like pintos or horses with a ton of white (but have a few anyway lol).... I just don't like trying to keep them clean!

My favorite colors are black with chrome, cremellos, perlinos, palominos and since I am a Paint Horse person too, I am also a Tobiano lover. A blue eye lover all the way. All that being said though, almost all colors are on my list of favs if they belong to a gorgeous horse. The only colors I don't care for are greys, some Appy patterns and pintaloosas.

LOVE:

Bay, preferably a dark bay. Love a sooty bay!

Buckskin, especially sooty ones

Silver dapple with big star dapples and white mane/tail

blue roan

grulla/dun

dark silver bay (Think "Steal My Heart")

Frame, on the above colors!

Splash

Like:

golden palomino

liver chestnut

pinto on any color

red roan

dapple grey

true black

Some Appaloosas.

Dislike:

chestnut. It's just another BROWN horse!

Light silver bay. See above.

cremello/perino/smoky black. Ick.

Champagne. ick.

White. Never liked a white horse.

washed out palomino.

varnish Apps

fewspot Apps

Mottling on muzzles and around eyes.

Pink eyelids.

(sorry I gotta) I look at conformation first!
default_smile.png

I love ALL colors and patterns! Except that mud brown, but even that wouldn't stop me if the conformation was there. So I guess all colors and patterns!
default_biggrin.png

Though I must say my very favorites are black pintos! And buckskins, dark palominos, blue roans. All solid and pintos. Love blue eyes too. Ummm I just love horses!

REO had to laugh when I read your comment about mud brown horses.....my best horse happens to be my worst color!!
default_smile.png

Well I tried to post a photo but something has changed again and I cannot do it....
default_sad.png

Thank you!!
default_wub.png

Actually since I love pintos so much, and many people are "barn blind" and go crazy for color and EW don't see the poor conformation under it.... I ignore color and picture a horse mud brown and if the conformation is there, that's what I go for. I'd take a mud brown horse with good conformation OVER the most wild patterned black pinto horse with poor conformation.
default_smile.png

See--I dislike that mud brown (or mule brown as I call it) color so much that I would almost certainly turn down the well conformed mud brown horse. Of course I wouldnt take the poorly conformed pinto either. I would simply look around some more until I found a well conformed horse that was in a color I liked!!

Same here Holly. It's hard to find everything I want in a horse. Took me 3 years to find my mare Polly! But I finally did.
default_smile.png

Love the pintos, and yes, conformation first. And REO, Ill take your avatar horse ANY day!!!
default_smile.png

On the beautiful faces thread I'm drooling over bald faces and blue eyes. My color standards are not as high as I thought. So true, a beautiful well built horse is a beautiful well-built horse.

I LOVE Spots!!!!

black and red leopards

black and bay blankets

apps of all kinds!

WILD overos-prefer black and white or bay and white with blue eyes and eyeliner.....WOW (even though I don't own any)

Don't care for

pink around eyes-they need protection from the sun and tend to have issues

silver dapple

Gray

When people see a wildly marked overo that is nothing (conformationally) without their color, that gets me too.

Latest posts

Back