CMM *Melody foaled a palomino pinto colt on 3/12/14*

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you Diane!!!

Will get some more shots of Melody today. I am starting to get a bit worried… Hopefully I am overreacting, but Mel is either 320 or 321 days today and there is no sign of a bag, or any change in it at all. Does anyone on here have experience with placentitis? Or can shed some light, or share some good articles? I just have a weird feeling, and after speaking with a friend online she is treating her mare just to be safe. I am calling my vet today, but we are getting another big storm tomorrow morning so she may not be able to come out until tomorrow night or early wednesday. I do have SMZ's in the barn, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lexi,

I don't know if this will help but Wish was/is a very experienced broodmare and she had no bag until after she foaled. I'm posting a photo from a couple of days before she foaled. Don't know if that makes you feel any better and I know the other more experienced nannies will be of more help but here's Wish right before foaling.

2013september24thhorses 006-001.JPG

Great pictures Lexi and the wonderful Summer looks fantastic, bless her.
default_wub.png

Regarding Melody, I cant see that there is any reason to consider Placentitis - she doesnt have a discharge or anything does she? But while I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of an udder as yet, I would be interested to see some new pics of her from the side down at her level, because looking back at the pics you posted last October, she actually looks more in foal then than she does in the pics a couple of posts above. To be honest the pics above really dont look like a mare only a month away from foaling - that tummy looks too small, but it could be the camera angle?

Hurry up with those new pics!
default_yes.gif

I am so puzzled as to how she can look less pregnant now than she did a few months ago…. But I completely agree Anna. She has all the hay she can eat and way more (I throw most of it away, as she leaves so much). Also gets grain and alfalfa hay twice a day, as well as a timothy/grass hay 3 times a day. She looks less pregnant than Summer and Dove, and both of them are NOT in foal. So strange.

Here is a short video clip of her foal kicking, most of the movement was in her flank area that night and the foal moves more once my flashlight goes back on. Such an incredible feeling!

Well there is certainly something going on in there! Without reading all the way back - are you sure of her dates? Otherwise all I can suggest is that you/we just wait and see. LOL!!

Will be interested to hear what your vet thinks - hopefully the storm has passed you safely by?

Loved the video and hope that helps you feel better that you are going to have a wonderful, gorgeous, healthy foal soon!!!

Glad you all liked the video!! Today the foal was going so nuts I could see it kicking from about 20 feet away. Melody was standing completely still resting one of her back legs and her tummy was going insane, poor girl. I have never seen so much movement!

Today is day 329 and still no bag, took these photos today but I don't see much of a difference. She does look much larger in person than in the photos.

DSC_0096.JPG

DSC_0098.JPG

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0089.JPG

Are you sure of the dates? To look at her I'd think that she wasn't in foal at all. She is very pretty by the way!

Now it might just be my imagination, or it could be the camera angle, but I think that there is the beginnings of an increase in her udder? Perhaps Diane could post the last two pics of her udder here, side by side (she's so good at doing that with pictures!), so we can see any possible changes.
default_yes.gif

Humm. I think it might be the camera angle?? Thanks Diane - what do you think? Another pic in 5 days please.
default_yes.gif

Pretty sure today her udder felt like it was starting to decide it was time to get a tad bigger! But that may just be me being hopeful… Her breeder has these dates, last breeding date was april 4, 2013. I have her on camera now!! Will post the link below, if anyone has any trouble opening it let me know
default_smile.png

Any extra eyes are GREATLY appreciated
default_worshippy.gif

https://www.dropcam.com/p/melodysfoalingstall

Watched her this morning and she was in the corner rubbing her butt against the wall. Don't know if that's a foaling sign. She's looking great!!! Hope you have your little one soon.

My laptop wont let me log in to the site Lexi - keeps telling me it is unsafe!! I'll keep trying though.
default_yes.gif

Anna, my Norton security didn't pick up any issues. Don't know if that helps you at all. She's such a pretty mare!!

Latest posts

Back