Clumping cat litter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REO

Reaction score
We've been using Tidy Cat multi cat litter. It says it has odor guard etc.

Well, it is NOT clumping and it smells! Urine just gets the sand wet and stinks. It doesn't work like it should. It's impossible to clean the cat box with this stuff.

I'm not sure it they changed it and it no longer clumps or if my hubby is buying a new brand (Tidy Cat) but I need something that clumps!!!

Can you tell me a kind of kitty litter that CLUMPS? That isn't $40 an ounce LOL

hummm I use tidy cat for my pugs and it clumps for them... I do think they changed the smell eliminating part of it but.... it clumps. and I know they make several kinds, a bucket with a red lid, blue lid and the non clumping kind.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried Tidy Cat and am not impressed. I use Scoop Away. It is the least expensive of the clumping litters that actually works. It helps if you wax the litter box . I use the auto quick wax, or you could use furniture polish if not a citrus scent.

I have 4 litter boxes to maintain, and the waxing and Scoop Away work the best.

I only wash them about once a month, then wax and put fresh litter. You have to put a little fresh litter in as it depleats to keep desired depth.

Believe me as the "owner" of 7 cats that use litter boxes, This system works. I have had several people tell me that they wouldn't even know we had cats if we didn't tell them! No smell=good.
default_yes.gif

We use Arm and Hammer Double Duty. It is working great for us.

Thanks.

I've had cats all my life and we have 7 in the house right now. Whatever Tidy Cat this is doesn't clump AT ALL. And it STINKS.
default_wacko.png

It's nasty!

It's says it's supposed to but it doesn't.

I want to try something else.
default_yes.gif

Don't know if you get it in the States, but I use Super Saver Scented Clumping Cat Litter. It's in a blue plastic bag. I've never bought a clumping cat litter that doesn't clump. Is the one you bought supposed to and doesn't? All clumping litter should say it's clumping. If it doesn't say it does, it doesn't
default_wink.png

Robin,

When I had 4 cats in the house at once, I used the cheapest stuff at Walmart - Special Kitty Multiple Cat Scoopable. It comes in 28lb boxes (lined with a plastic bag) and I found it to work. It's been over a year so they could have changed it, but it worked for me and it was cheaper than the other options.

I too use the WalMart variety--Special Kitty multiple cat scoopable. It works quite well and is the best buy I've found. I do once in awhile buy the no name stuff from Superstore. It works but isn't as nice as the Special Kitty.

Scoop Away used to be good, but here it's more expensive than the Special Kitty--I haven't bought it in years now. There was another kind I tried one time but I can't remember which one that was. It wasn't good at all--it would clump, but then the clump wouldn't hold together. When you went to scoop it out--or if another cat got into the box and stepped on that clump-- it would just crumble.

We have three indoor cats here... and due to situations I have a cat box in the BEDROOM here so I'm pretty picky about litter. We do use Tidy Cats here too, but specifically the one with the TURQUOISE lid. I'm not sure what the "difference" is but it doesn't smell too bad and really clumps quickly. I don't like super-heavily-scented litters or ones that don't clump.

Andrea

I like the Fresh Step stuff and you can find it on sale if you look around most of the time. Also if you have Petco's there, they have their own brand of litter that you can just refill the jug when you go in that is much cheaper and is clumpy.

Thanks everyone! Our litter does say clumping but it doesn't.

I'm going to look into Arm and Hammer Double Duty and Special Kitty!
default_aktion033.gif

I think we used to use Fresh Step. I'll have a look at that too
default_yes.gif

I also use the walmart Special kitty. We have four totally indoor cats, and five indoor/outdoor cats that use the boxes and it clumps well. I add more as needed, and after a while (about two weeks or so) I do totally change the boxes because it does eventually get to where it doesnt clump as well.

Robin,

When I had 4 cats in the house at once, I used the cheapest stuff at Walmart - Special Kitty Multiple Cat Scoopable. It comes in 28lb boxes (lined with a plastic bag) and I found it to work. It's been over a year so they could have changed it, but it worked for me and it was cheaper than the other options.
I use this as well and it works better then most brand name litters and is cheaper by far

Oh my gosh....I thought I was the only that was having this issue with the clumping cat litter right now.... .Hubby brought home a new Tidy Cats....(naturals or something)......and it did not work at all...did not clump well, did not get rid of any scent...... so we are trying to go back to what worked also, but I was also afraid Tidy Cats had changed their formula or something?

I will have to try some of the others mentioned......

I'm glad it's not just me! I thought maybe my cats had super potty or something that no litter could tame! LOL!

My Tidy Cats (It's the blue lid)is like smelly wet sand and it doesn't even coat the poop! I'm looking forward to trying what you've all recommended!
default_yes.gif

Well my kitty box is right by my back door and if I have cheeper kitty litter in it I can smell it instantly. I don't like the scented litters because, to me, even a clean freshly scrubbed litter box still smells like " kitty litter". My house is way to small to have that litter smell. I use Premium Choice all natural clumping litter uncented and I LOVE it!! No litter smell even when it's old and used! It's 10.99 for 25 lbs. To me it's worth every penny! It clumps nice and truely keeps the odor down. My boss uses Precious Cat and swears by it! But thats a bit more expensive.

I'd be willing to bet your kitty litter was a mislabeld batch! Go to their website and email them! Let them know how disapointed you were with their product! You never know they may send you some coupons for a good discount! It's worth a try!

Good luck! Kitty litter, no matter what, is stinky business!
default_wink.png

Costco has a wonderful clumping cat litter. Comes in a giant green container call, "Back to Nature litter purrfect" and is only $7.50!!

Works a lot better than the spendy stuff.

Latest posts

Back