Littermaid Litter Box?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boss Mare

Reaction score
Recently purchased the Littermaid brand automatic litter box. They were 50% off for all Petco associates / where my GF works, so decided to give it a try.

We have two strictly indoor cats, scoop their pervious litter box several times a week, disinfected it once and totally replaced it every few months as I am a clean freak.

The cats always use their litter box, but we had issues with two of the Dachshunds helping themselves to snacks.. Even the covered litter boxes with ramps, doors, etc they could find a way in.

I realize the automatic litter box isn't going to stop them from getting inside the box (no cover, etc), but am hoping with the cleaning cycles it will highly reduce their snacks so to speak.

So far the cats are using it. It's louder than I thought, but it does have a sleep mode for at night. Only complaint so far is the amount of litter on the floor from the Dachshunds, cats going in and out.

Anyone have anything to share?

Thanks!

We too had problems with our dog going through our kitty box for a while, and litter all over the floor from the cats scratching it all out. We went and purchased a tall rubbermaid box from Walmart. I think we paid $5 for it. It has been the absolute best investment we have ever made for the cats (and my sanity). I believe they actually prefer it over the short normal litter boxes, because they feel like they have their privacy and the other cats won't get in, or sniff around, while they are using it.

Make sure to put a door mat on the outside of the box, so that when they jump out, the litter will stay on the mat rather then all over the floor.

Boss Mare,

I had a dog who snacked, vet told me to put Accent (its sold in the spice section at grocery stores) on their food and it would stop. He was right, didn't have any snackers for almost 5 months, then did it again when he was caught. Worked well for the horsey apple snacking too! Vet said there was an ingredient in the Accent that the dog was lacking.

Very interesting Mel, I will look into that. I've tried feeding pineapple too with no results.

I like the idea of the Rubbermaid container / taller sides. However I believe one cat would have great difficulties jumping in.

Thanks!

I like the idea of the Rubbermaid container / taller sides. However I believe one cat would have great difficulties jumping in.
This won't really help with your dogs but just a fyi-we use the tall rubbermaid container too but cut an opening in one of the ends so the cat can go in and out. It is far enough off the ground that it isn't really messy but low enough that she doesn't have problems getting in! This was the best idea we ever had with regards to kitty litter pans!!

I have a 19 pound cat who has no problem getting in and out of our rubber maid box.
default_smile.png

Okay,I admit it..I have dogs too that like the litter box.But,they don't get any cookies and if they do it's not very often.. Our litter box is beside the commode and is cleaned every time anybody goes to the restroom and we get to sit down while we are doing it..lol..That is the only solution we have come up with that really works.And we also have a piece of carpet remnant for them to walk on when they get out..

I'm not sure the dog has been born who doesn't love Kitty Almond Roca.

We used to turn the covered litter box to face the wall. Our cats could get in and out, but even the small dogs could not get in. Unfortunately, our Maltese is too tiny and oe of our cats is too big for this to work.

We used to turn the covered litter box to face the wall.
Exactly - that's what I do - very easy solution and problem solved!

Liz N.

Exactly - that's what I do - very easy solution and problem solved!

Liz N.
Good idea, will have to keep that in mind for whenever I decide to switch back to the regular covered litter box. Not sure whether or not my 6lb. Dachshund could figure it out then. She's so busy, too smart for her own good and into everything. :)

We bought a Littermaid litterbox when we got our 2 kittens as that is what the breeder had and they were used to it, it sounded like a good idea with 2 house cats, it only lasted less than a week when the motor froze on it we are suppose to get a refund as they told us to cut the cords and just return them for a full refund. No refund yet but hopefully soon. I can't help with the dog problem though

Latest posts

Back