Best Cat litter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley

Reaction score
What is the best litter for a cat box? We currently have at least 2 but up to 4 using the box. With my advanced sense of smell it seems as if the box is always dirty, even right after it is bleached down and new litter put in. Is there something that will help with the smell and clumping? I currently use tidy cat, and the box does have an odor thing on top to try and pick up some of the smell. I hate even being in the house with it at this point. I am tempted to move it down stairs but then afraid nobody will clean it.

I've used Fresh Step in the past, and that seemed to help. Currently, I'm using Cat's Pride scoopable; its working for 1-3 cats (1 all the time, and 2 part-time box users). A big help around here was changing cat food; between finding one that didn't make the siamese puke and stink us out when it headed to the litter box, we settled on Purina ONE chicken (sometimes Purina ONE salmon, both regular formula, I tried the new Purina ONE Beyond, and none of the house cats would touch it).

They are on Purina One. Two of the cats are pretty much outside now that its warm. Two are in the house and one of those goes out for short times. The other has never been out of the house and was bottle raised. She stinks me out of the house.

We use Arm and Hammer Double Duty. I also, have a real sensitive sense of smell. I switched from Fresh step to this and it has really made a difference.

We feed Purina One Smart blend.

Kim

They are on Purina One. Two of the cats are pretty much outside now that its warm. Two are in the house and one of those goes out for short times. The other has never been out of the house and was bottle raised. She stinks me out of the house.
On the Purina ONE, the only two that work for me are the Smart Blend chicken (preferred) or SmartBlend salmon/tuna; the other formulas all cause us issues (tried the indoor and hairball formulas they were no go, not sure if I've tried the sensitive systems or not).

Scoop Away Multi cat formula works great. We have 7 cats and 2 of those do not go outside EVER by their choice. For the rest of them the box is always there.

I use a pine pellet litter with my barn cat... it is really good at odour control although it's not clumping which is why it's not used for the house cats (yet) i have littermaids(auto boxes) so they require a different product, although i admit i am going to try them with some in a traditional box to.

For the standard 'clay' type arm & hammer is quite good although the new double duty one is rather intense perfume wise
wacko.gif

I will second using a pine based litter. I used Feline Fresh which has a pelleted non clumping and a crumbled clumping formula. No other cat litter I have ever tried has cut odor like the Feline Fresh! And like the pelleted bedding for horses it expands so I found I didn't have to top up my box very often and a 17lb bag was lasting longer than 40lbs of clay litter! Biggest bonus was it is flushable so cleaning the box and disposal day to day was sooooo easy, just scoop into a plastic containner, break up any large clumps and flush away, then store your scoop in the container. I won't buy anything else when I get another cat.

Add me to the pine pellet list! I've always used clumping litter and got tired of finding kitty sand tracked everywhere! The pine pellets work great and definitely keep the odor down!

Liz R.

What is the best litter for a cat box? We currently have at least 2 but up to 4 using the box. With my advanced sense of smell it seems as if the box is always dirty, even right after it is bleached down and new litter put in. Is there something that will help with the smell and clumping? I currently use tidy cat, and the box does have an odor thing on top to try and pick up some of the smell. I hate even being in the house with it at this point. I am tempted to move it down stairs but then afraid nobody will clean it.
We have 5 cats, a small house, and ONE big litter box. After doing several side-by side trials, the 3 things that work best for us are: Swheat Scoop cat litter (multi cat), Odor-No-More cat litter additive, and a spray called "Zero" something. (can't find the old bottle, haven't bought a new one.)

I can't stand the clay litters, they smell without being used and the perfumes and dust cling to the cats and spread through the house.

With this blend we can even get away with only cleaning once a day - although it's better id we do it 2x.

We feed premium cat foods with NO grains - that helps keep the smell and the poop amounts down as well.

I have 1 indoor kitty and use Multi-Cat Tidy Cat.

Also with the food thing, Not sure if any of you shop at Tractor Supply (TSC) But they now carry 2 new cat foods that really help with smelly poo and pee.

*First is 4-Health from Diamond. Not only dose it help with odders BUT it also helps with less pooping, shinnier/healthier coats and skin and less shedding. It has NO corn, wheat, or soy in it which makes it way healthier. Alos no corn gloutin. And it only costs about $6.99 per 5 lbs and $19.99 for 18 lbs.

* Second food is Taste of the Wild which is also another great food with all the above feed BUT also with REAL salmon or venison in it. That is a little more at $9.99 for a 5lb bad or $26.99 for a 18lb bag.

MY CAT IS ON THE 4-HEALTH and is doing Great on it and I highly recomend it! Also TSC will provide you a try out bag for free to see how you and your cat likes it!

Latest posts

Back