Cloudy eye in Foul.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alikat

Reaction score
Does anyone know how much Penicillin to give a week old foul? We noticed her eye is clouding over and know that to be bacterial, but have never dosed her size before. Called the vet out today and they just didn’t bother to show up. We don’t want to lose an eye.

Try another vet ASAP. Oral antibiotics may not help an eye infection and you really need to know what type of infection that you are dealing with, it might not be bacterial and might be fungal. If it is fungal, antibiotics won't help that, you need an antifungal. I am not trying to scare you, but I had a mare that nearly lost an eye and needed expensive surgery because she had a fungal infection misdiagnosed. She went from normal to surgery in 48 hours.
Hope you get things sorted out OK.

Totally agree with Cayuse.... Oral antibiotics won't help and you do need a vet for this. There are ointments to administer directly to the eye, but I would have a vet advise you. Keep calling whatever vets are in your area.

Back