clipping

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's a link to a website with pictures.... search google to find more

hope this helps
default_wink.png

http://www.southernheartranch.com/clip.html

What's that old saying???....

Practice makes perfect!

You should definitely google it-there are a lot of great sites that will give you some awesome tips. The best way of learning is to just go for it and practice. You can read as much as you want, but doing it yourself is always the best to learn
default_smile.png
I've been clipping for 10 years and I still learn new things. For your first time, just go nice and slow-don't rush anything and make sure you have nice sharp blades and a horse that is clean and NOT sweaty. I usually have to go over the horses a few times before I get all of the clipper blade marks off. They are my downfall. I always start at the butt-then body-neck-head-legs. You'll find what you like best though. Be very careful around the mane because if you have a horse that spooks or twitches at all, you could end up with chunks of mane missing in random places!! NOT good haha. There's ALOT of skin pulling that'll be done on your part to get everything. Horses have lots of nooks and crannies that'll just drive you bonkers when it comes to clipping. Just play with pulling the skin to one direction or another. I think that's pretty much the basics-I wouldn't worry too much. If you too terrible a job, just hide the horse in the barn for a while
default_wink.png

As said, make sure that the horse is completely clean and dry. A shady area is great for both of you. You will need good, strong clippers. Dog clippers won't work. Oster A-5, Double K's something like that. You don't have to do the entire horse if it's first time for you and the horse. I like to start with the legs, when the horse is calm and cool and hopefully you are too! Don't worry about a few clipper marks, they will grow out! But you may be more comfortable doing the body area.

Keep checking your blades to make sure they aren't hot. A quick tap on your arm or leg will tell you, or the horse starting to twitch and dance will let you know also. If they feel hot, it's time to change them. You will need several sets of blades. For just taking winter hair off, I use size 10. I usually use 3-6 size ten blades for the first spring clip per horse.

When you are showing, you will need to clip different areas with various sized blades. Laura of Ten-L training has a great step by step for clipping, especially the head area.

Clipping is fun, but a lot of work! Some ice water, shade, and a fan are nice when it's really hot. Be careful that you don't put a freshly clipped horse out in direct sun for hours - they can get sunburn just as easily as humans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this time of year it goes like this; Ok Bridle path needs clipping I will just clip the bridle path. OK, That is done. Maybe just the throatlatch (makes it easier to put the halter on). OK, (scratch head) I will just clip the face. Thats it. Just the face. Now that that is done, wouldn't it be cool to see what the neck looks like? Oh, I need to clip the girth area so the hair won't get pulled. Opps! the clippers slipped, Oh heck I will just clip it all because we don't want it to look funny and isn't that what blankets are for anyway?

Is it possible to hire it done - you know - like I hire a groomer to clip my Maltese? I think I could be dangerous with a set of blades near my mini. Do they have horse groomers?

A lot of people will say the horse has to be dry, but if you use Show Sheen on them, the clippers will just slide through. And then you don't have to wait for them to dry and risk them rolling!!!

You do not have to do the whole horse at once!!! For shows, I do the bodies first, then the legs another day, then the heads and ears right before the show. And I do touch-up constantly! Most minis like the body clipping so that is a good place to start. Many of them DON'T like legs or ears clipped, so that is a good time to have help.

I have already done bridle paths this spring and I just trace clipped (along where the traces on the harness go) a mare that will be in a driving clinic in 2 weeks. Sometimes I will do what I call a "comfort clip" in the spring, where I do the chest, along the side (like a trace clip) and some of the long belly hair. That way they stay a bit cooler on a hot day or when worked but don't freeze if it turns cold. Don't worry if someone laughs at your first attempts!!!

Good luck and as someone else said - practice makes perfect..

Yes...it sure is possible to have it done. I do mobile and on-site miniature horse clipping and I LOVE it!! Check around I'm sure there is someone in your area you could hire.

I've head and necked 6 already, and done a trace clip on Elle so she dries after working her.....Bob will be next for Molly to start! I can REALLY see most of my driving ring through the snow....( and it makes a funny sound when the wheels go through it )! Come ON SPRING!

Latest posts

Back