Clinic Report: Natural Horsemanship Groundwork

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kellie in OR

Reaction score
Billy Boy had quite and adventure today doing the groundwork portion of the Steve Rother clinic. Steve has such a nice direct and simple way of explaining things. He doesn't make Natural Horsemanship out to be so dang complicated with 127 step when a more simplistic approach will work. And an added bonus is he is patient and funny without a huge ego. I have worked with Steve with my big horse, and I have no regrets taking my miniture. We worked out some trouble spots and had a great time!

http://www.horseteacher.com/

There were 6 big horses of the Quarter Horse, Paint, Tennessee Walker and mustang breeds. Plus Bill and another miniature, a mare. Billy started out pretty bold and curious, but very well behaved considering I have never had him with a group of horses.

We worked on direct pressure, diving pressure, the four phases of pressure, rhythm, timing, feel, balance, moving the front and hind separate, moving them around us, and forward and back.

Billy had a couple areas he was heavy and had some stiffness. But he was really cooperating and giving his all to try. Francesca, Steve's partner and sales manager, helped me and worked Bill a couple times. She said that 'Bill was the best miniature she had worked with all year'. That made me feel great since I've already done so much with him this summer and it showed. And he was his usual charming self. Everyone wanted to pet his thick double coat and hug him. Most people commented "Wow, he's not near as fat as he looks!" He really has an amazing coat, plus I vacuumed him this morning so he was fluffier than ever!

We are going back for another 3 hour class tomorrow where we will build on what we learned today. I hear we will be sending them to jump over obstacles. Go Billy go!

Stay tuned for tomorrows report!

Pictures from today.....

IMG_3177.jpg

IMG_3194.jpg

IMG_3206.jpg

IMG_3205.jpg

Thanks!

Billy boy and I had another great day. He retained all the lightness we worked on yesterday and we we able transition that to maneuvering obstacles. He did everything I asked and was a super star! We changed up some of the games, like instead of working to stand next to the mounting block, I sent him to it and he walked up the step. I didn't ask him to jump the barrels since they are bigger than he is, LOL! So while the big horses were working on jumping big things, Francesca worked with Bill and got him to bow in just minutes. He picked it up so fast she though I had already taught it. Not, never tried before today. I think Bill is just a genius! I got to work on waiting for the try, and then giving the correct release. Bill bowed down for me too. If I can practice this it won't be long before he will lay right down all the way!

Steve and Francesca will be at the NW Expo in Albany in March. Then doing another clinic down here in April. I hope to take Hondo for some fun.

Here is a link to more pictures:

http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b194/kra...2008/?start=all

IMG_3313.jpg

Latest posts

Back