Dexter

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackandwhite

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

This is Dexter, my first mini and my new best friend. He's really very clever, and he's learned many tricks since he arrived two weeks ago. He's learned to smile, stand on a pedestal stand on a pedestal and wave, He's almost finished with learning to bow, he's learned how to rear on cue and it's his favourite trick. Tomorrow we're going to start with learning to lie down.

I love doing advanced groundwork and it's been a lifelong dream of mine to have a mini to trick train and drive. I had to sell my stallion recently and that broke my heart, but Dexter has been exactly what I needed to help me heal. He's absolutely perfect for me. He's very willing to learn and work and gets excited when I bring the clicker out but he's also quite quiet and not a lot fazes him. I took him for a walk on his first day and he wasn't bothered by a herd of cattle rushing up to the fence to meet him, traffic, a herd of horses galloping over, a roaring ride on lawnmower. Wasn't bothered by any of this. The only thing that bothered him was puddles. He doesn't like puddles.

He's very smoochy and loving and loves to play with me and we chase each other around the paddock and he's only a few inches bigger than my Great Dane and when I take them for walks together they each try and be faster than the other. He fits in very well with my family. Plus he's absolutely adorable.
DSC_0450.jpg

DSC_0468.jpg

DSC_0503.jpg

DSC_0538.jpg

DSC_0586.jpg

DSC_0522.jpg

DSC_0572.jpg

hes so cute! Its nice that hes learning tricks too! I'd be careful with the rear though. It could end up dangerous if he ends up doing it when hes not supposed to and if you decide to sell him ever (even if you dont plan on it, sometimes life happens) his new owners will potentially be put in danger if he decides to rear or if they give him the cue without realizing and depending on the owner they could really give him some... harsh correction. Not at all trying to tell you what to do with your horse! just trying to let you see the possibilities of what could happen. Just be careful! Congratulations on adding the little cutie to your life though. They really are special little animals and are very very good at healing hearts!

hes so cute! Its nice that hes learning tricks too! I'd be careful with the rear though. It could end up dangerous if he ends up doing it when hes not supposed to and if you decide to sell him ever (even if you dont plan on it, sometimes life happens) his new owners will potentially be put in danger if he decides to rear or if they give him the cue without realizing and depending on the owner they could really give him some... harsh correction. Not at all trying to tell you what to do with your horse! just trying to let you see the possibilities of what could happen. Just be careful! Congratulations on adding the little cutie to your life though. They really are special little animals and are very very good at healing hearts!
Yes, I am very experienced with clicker training and I'm well aware of the risks involved with certain tricks, thank you for your concern! but I'm on top of it
default_smile.png

He looks great and seems to have bonded with you wonderfully
default_smile.png

Wishing you many happy years together
default_smile.png
We bonded so surprisingly quick. He loves all of the one on one attention and daily loving, and mental stimulation... I think after the first day we both realised we were exactly what the other needed!

Latest posts

Back