Clicker training treat question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniitis

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am new here and will be picking up my first mini this Friday! So excited.

Anyway I am big into clicker training and want to start ASAP with my new mini.

Just wondering what you other CT'S use as the treats?

I very much want to watch their weight and don't feed grains.

I used to just feed the pellets as the treats to my normal sized horse but as I wont be feeding those wondering what would be the best health wise? With the least calories.

Carrots? Apples? Something else.

Don't know yet if they'll work just for the scratch yet?

Thanks

I feed 1/2 of a baby carrot. My minis would stand on their heads for it, if I asked
default_yes.gif
! I don't give them for every move they make because they would focus only on the reward and not what you are trying teach and also start nipping. You didn't say how old this mini is, so I'm not sure if a weanling or yearling should get carrots. All of my mine are older.

Yes age is important, you would not want to be feeding treats to youngsters as it can start them nipping and as has been said, may lead to inattention.

Also you say that you wont be feeding 'pellets', what will you be feeding or does this mean you will not be offering any grain feed? Depending upon your facilities/pasture/weather and the age/size/condition of your new mini/s you may well have to feed something other than hay, at least to start with.

New mini/s just in time for Christmas, how exciting! Hope you are going to post some pictures for us when they arrive
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back