Clicker Training...Good or bad?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erickson Miniature Horses

Reaction score
Does anybody clicker train their horses? Have you had a good experience with it? is it worth while? How is it different from clucking your tongue?

Done properly, clicker training is a very effective way to teach very complicated tricks. Done poorly it can lead to a horse who is always mugging for treats and even sometimes nipping. I do not clicker train because I haven't taken the time to fully study the technique required to prevent it from creating a monster. If you are willing to learn all you need to know and stick to it it should work well and if you are inclined to do a bit of this and a bit of another method IMO you would be best advised to leave it alone. Having a mentor to help you understand how to approach problems that arise with it would offer your best chance of success.

I use it for certain things, not for all training. I've found it extremely effective for most horses, not effective for some. I have not had any problems with nipping - buut havingsaid that I really studied it prior to starting, and was very careful in how I started and what I used it for. I agree with Reignmaker, either study it carefully, and take your time starting (really paying attention to what you are doing, when you are clicking, and how you are rewarding) or find someone to help you. Alexandra Kurland's book is "The Click that Teaches" is excellent if you are doing it on your own. I read it through twice and really studied it before starting with my horses.

I've seen some awesome results with it - both in mini horses and in bigger riding ponies and horses. I have also seen some really nasty habits (& owners getting hurt because of them) started with "clicker training". But those same people had problems no matter what type of training they tried using simply because they didn't understand or refused to believe how badly a "horse pet" could hurt them.

It doesn't work well for me. I think I set myself up for no success - simply because I have such an "aversion" to hand feeding any treats.

"Treats", hand fed, are pretty rare here - and usually consist of items they do eat normally (a supplement or actually part of their own feed for that day, alfalfa pellets etc.). Sometimes, I will feed carrots or apples but that's more of a whole pasture group thing or a totally one on one thing when I happen to be eating them myself and I share,
default_whistling.gif

uhhh, this is probably a really dumb question. I've heard of clicker training, but never really thought about actually doing it. What do you use to make the "clicker" noise. I googled it, and saw some plastic thingies with a little button on them. Is that it?

(Sounds like another thing for me to lose.)

Yes, those are the ones. I use the ones with the wrist strap thingy - that way I don't lose too many. I get mine on Amazon - sets of 4 or 6 : ) That way it takes a while ot lose them all LOL

I use it for certain things, not for all training. I've found it extremely effective for most horses, not effective for some. I have not had any problems with nipping - buut havingsaid that I really studied it prior to starting, and was very careful in how I started and what I used it for. I agree with Reignmaker, either study it carefully, and take your time starting (really paying attention to what you are doing, when you are clicking, and how you are rewarding) or find someone to help you. Alexandra Kurland's book is "The Click that Teaches" is excellent if you are doing it on your own. I read it through twice and really studied it before starting with my horses.
I'm still newbie-surfing the forum and found this topic. I have used clicker training for dogs, cats, and even birds. I do wild bird rescue, and my pet starlings -- I have three that couldn't be released, wound up imprinted, and they talk up a storm. Yes, English -- have responded very well to clicker training.

I'm planning to use the clicker for the Minis, too, but like Flying minis, am doing as much research as possible before we start. I actually communicated with Alexandra Kurland for a while (she lives about forty minutes from me) some time ago, and had the great privilege of watching Ann Edie and Panda (a clicker trained guide horse for the blind) working at Albany International Airport back in the late '90s. It was seeing them (by total accident) that led me to seek out Alexandra after finding out that she trained Panda and learn more about clicker training for horses.

I have both of her books, and agree with Flying minis; they are quite good. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used it on my stallion. He was bored, I had a clicker and it just worked from there. So far have taught him to back up when I point, Bow and lay down.

This is him bowing without me having to touch him. he still had a way to go in this video but it's the only one I really have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back