cleaning dog hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
I have 3 house dogs(in and out) Pembroke Welsh Corgis 1 German Shepherd rescue.Lots of dog hair on wood and vinyl floors.NO carpet anywhere-just a few throw rugs at back door to catch some of the barn dirt dragged in.Need suggestions on cleaning.Right now I'm recovering from knee replacement so not as steady and walking as good as normal.Presently using cane and broom with dustpan to get up some hair but it just flies everywhere.Also tried Swiffer thing but need something on that to make hair stick to it.Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.Corgis were recently at groomers so they are not too bad.Can't get outside to brush GSD.Any spray I can use on Swiffer like Endust or something similar?Like a clean house but my dogs come first.Thanks for any help.I HATE housework-would much rather shovel manure all day than touch cleaning stuff in the house, but I like a clean house just so I don't have to do it.Come on Lottery so I can hire a cleaning crew.

We have a similar issue.......hard wood floors and area rugs and SIX DOGS.

I sweep and/or dust mop the floors, including under furniture, and the hubster uses our Dyson vacuum to suck up the piles of fur, etc. that I make using the hose extension on it.

I rarely sweep. However, I vacuum the whole house at lest once a week. YOu wouldn't believe how much hair I get from two little dogs (Boston and a PUg). I swear by vacuuming.

I am an OCD house cleaner. I come home from work, kick off my shoes and sweep/vacuum, literally! Even if I don't get home until super late, I must clean everything.. Counters, dust everything, shake & fold throw blankets, bathroom, etc. I hate stuff sitting on the counters, I even keep the toaster in a cabinet.. So strange! I scrub my baseboards weekly with a Magic Eraser and toothbrush, it's relaxing.. LOL

I just redid the entire house to wood floors, love them but freak out a little inside with the amount of hair I sweep up every day, but also feel reassured the house is thoroughly cleaned.

What I have found best.. Sweep, Swiffer and my Eureka vacuum for pet hair. I use the hose attachment quite a bit too. Aside from a Swiffer I have those microfiber pads I use, my favorite product for wood floors is glass cleaner.

I have 3 dachshunds and a 11 month old chocolate Lab, they don't shed too bad but with all the in and out my floors are always dirty!!!! I vacuum every day with my Dyson stick, it is a cordless rechargeable vacuum. It makes daily cleaning easy. Then once a week I use my canister Dyson vacuum and do a through cleaning, couches etc. But if I skip a day my floors are a mess!!!!! Or maybe I am a little OCD!!!!!!! Lol

I don't think I'm a germ a phob exactly but I can't stand dog hairs, dust, clutter, dirty counters, dirty bathrooms, dirty kitchens especially the counter or the stove, refridgerator and well......I'm not a clean freak though honestly. You can tell by my feet! LOL

I have a GSD and when I had two dogs I pretty much had a dirty floor constantly. I have leather furniture, hardwood floors and tile and if I miss one day of sweeping its terrible. If I swept five times a day I'd still have dog hair. Really. I sweep, then damp mop and that helps a ton. I bathe my doggy once a week, groom with brushes but not as often as I should and I also keep tee shirts on my dog in the house execpt in the summer. That totally helps like you cannot believe also. Presently my puppy is wearing size large human tee shirts. I scoop up the excess hanging part and tie it off with a scrunchie of course! CUTE!

As a groomer I have hairy floors every day. I say forget the stinkin' broom. Use a small shop vac. I actually like the Craftsman brand but same thing. I have a 2.5 gallon one and it's fantastic. Way more effective than sweeping and small enough to move around easily. Just make sure you start at one edge of the room and work your way to the other. Shop stye vacuums exhaust out the back so if you start with the vacuum in the middle of the room it will blow the hair. I just start with it in one corner and work across the room. I've been doing this for 10 years and don't even have a broom in my shop anymore. Good luck.

Did anyone else hear that the Swiffer is poisonous to dogs?

I think I heard it on the GSD forum but not positive.

Did anyone else hear that the Swiffer is poisonous to dogs?

I think I heard it on the GSD forum but not positive.
I'm going to guess that's the wetjet they are talking about, and its the liquid it uses that is bad; not the dry Swiffer sweepers that are just dry cloths.

Wait a minute!!!!! Who said they clean baseboards with a tooth brush???????? Oh me, that's way too much!!!!!!

3 dogs, one cat. Hair everywhere, wore lots of black to work, hated having to roll myself with sticky tape in the restroom as soon as I got to work. Then my husband bought me a Roomba. I love love it! Expensive...yes ( have seen them at garage sales, craigslist etc) but oh my gosh what it picks up every night you would think I had bald animals. I do still have to vacuum but only about every two weeks, it runs at 2 am and with the bedroom door shut I don't hear it. I simply run it in the bedroom when I get home. It docks itself after vacuuming and they have a program that you can send it & have fixed when something goes wrong. When it breaks down I am in such a bad mood to come home to dirty floors. Love it Love it!

Back