upsetting day with rescue dog

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevann

Reaction score
Vet came today to do rabies shots for kennel dogs.Equine vet&not my favorite with bedside manner(other scheduled vet couldn't come.)Corgis were fine(house dogs)German Shepherd(house dog&shelter rescue)became viscious towards vet.Scared the s--t out of me.tried a muzzle -he went off again and jumped and her face snarling - She refused to try again(don't blame her_I didn't want to try either.)He needs rabies shot to get into obedience class tomorrow night.Called vet's small animal office got him up there, vet tech took him and 5 minutes later shot was done and we were out.this is the first sign of any agression from him .Got him in May of 2012.He was about 2 1/2 years old then He has been passed around lots, .1).born somewhere 2.) sold as pup 3).found as stray 4)adopted from shelter and lived with family for 18 months .5)given to her friend who turned him in to shelter .6).lived at shelter for 3 days&was castrated. 7) adopted by me in May(.I am an experienced German Shepherd owner 42 years breeding and showing,but had very few who came to me as adults.)Called the shelter director(friend of mine)&went for a visit.No agression there and dog slept peacefully on the floor while we talked I do not leave him unsupervised around the Corgis, sheep or horses or any other living thing,. He loves me to death and has never show any agression to me or Karl. Director of shelter thinks he may have restraint issues. He gave me some suggestions to work on those issues.,I just needed to talk to my friends on here.I thought today(when he was in attack mode)about taking him back(I am sure he would be put down)but I don't think we are at that point yet.I am not afraid of him and really love this dog. I think he was really scared today and reacted badly.Can't wait to get to school with him.We've got lots of work to do and homework every day I'm sure slow progress and patience is not my best thing.

I know i am gonna sound like a quack, but is there any chance he picked up on your feelings towards the vet?

I have had a love of a bichon snarl and growl at a squirrelly hospice worker when we cared for my grandmother. This dog never reacted to anyone in this manor his entire life except this one individual, but consistantly every time with this individual. I was told by an old farmer whose dog loves looking for me when I get hay, sometimes they just know, and many times they are better judges of character than people are.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know i am gonna sound like a quack, but is there any chance he picked up on your feelings towards the vet?
I don't think you sound like a quack, this sounds logical to me; dogs are great judges of character (and also pick up our moods and feelings).[My MIL's doxie has a very strong dislike for the vet that neutered him, and I'm sure nothing went wrong with the surgery, she is a kind and patient woman; but she has this issue with many dogs due to the clinic smell that is always on her. The doxie is fine with the semi-retired vet up the road that has medicated him occassionally, including shots. She smells like "home", they are ranchers also, so smell the same as my in-laws place.]

One of my corgis goes crazy barking at people who are on anti-depressant drugs.....have no idea how she knows this, but she will NOT go near these people (found out after the fact that the people she was being extremely leery of just happened to all be on anti-depressants).

Dogs can pick up on a lot more than we do (and feed off us more than we think)

~kathryn

Forgot to add Vet was behind him to do a shoulder shot under skin&he was ok until she stuck him with needle(didn't get shot done)then he turned on her.He has been in the house all evening with me and was fine with other dogs.Just slept in his crate with door open.He is usually out sleeping on his big bed on the floor.Very quiet-don't know if it's from the shot at the office or his very trying day.He was very quiet and well behaved for our shelter visit.1st time there since leaving May 10,2012 when I had to get help to cram him into the crate in my car.We've come a long way baby, but still got a long way to go.Riding in the car in a crate is very traumatic for him, but he gets in the back sit of my car and sits or lies down very qujietly.Vet is 30 minute ride away.I hope God gives me lots of patience with this dog.He has had enough abandonment in his short life.He deserves to be here where he is safe, cared for, living in my house and loved lots until he crosses the Rainbow Bridge.

Nothing compared to your years of GSD experience but I have been a dog groomer for 8 years. Certified in nutrition, first aid, dog training, etc. I also once owned two GSDs.

In my experience GSD really are "their" people dogs.. Socialization is the key.. And a job, they want to please.

..and rule out medical problems.. Joint pain, ear infections, etc.

Two of the severe dog bites that sent me to the hospital while being a dog groomer were from GSDs.. I still love the breed..

Patience. Good trainer.

Best wishes.

Hi. What jumps out at me is that experience number 1 was when the vet was at your house and you got the job done when you took the dog elsewhere to get the shot and had success. Right?.. not uncommon for any breed of dog to be aggressive in their own environment and home. Especially that breed. I am a dog obedience instructor. I also owned a gsd rescue boy that grew 10 times in size when I had a vet come into my home to do shots...pussycat to handle elsewhere. I have a Chinese crested now that hates strangers in his home but was a successful show dog and would let a judge go over him in the ring. My vet often takes dogs away from their handler's to vaccinate and brings them back and has a technician do the holding. Owners holding often are nervous or accidently transfer feelings to the dog that are negatively perceived by a dog very in tune to the handler's emotions. You could even be a communicator and be sending a message and not realizing it. Did you like the vet that came to your home? Just curious. "Not my favorite vet" hmmmm. I think your dog reads you've. I have to watch what I "think" around some of my dogs. Some are better at reading your thoughts and acting on them. Shepherds are very in tune and very sensitive and smart. They can also be suspicious. Your dog showed "inhibition". Your dog although freaking out and snapping DID NOT BITE. This was your "warning". Sometimes you only get one warning. Your dog communicated to you that it did not want to be held and vaccinated at home by this person and did not want to be forced to do so. You almost forced the bite. No human is faster or stronger than a dog bent on biting. I recommend you never put this dog in situation again . You need to build trust back up but more importantly you need to break down each component and figure out what was the true problem and work on that. For example. Scolding and correcting a dog for growling is like turning the ticker off on a time bomb. It will still explode..but silently. These are the dogs that "bite without warning". Your dog is communicating to you very well. I muzzle trained my crested. I put it on..took it off and gave super treats for him wearing it. He thinks the muzzle is the coolest thing he ever saw and does the happy dance when I get it out. It is associated with cheese and liverworst. Hum. Then if I ever have to muzzle him for an unpleasant procedure.. I swear I can see him grin. After the successful shot experience my dog would return to me cheering and armed with super treats or a toy or a hug. You are the key to how your dog sees this. Rescue dogs I swear are even more sensitive.

Ps..hi again. I had a rescue dobie that had restraint issues. She would freak..scream and snap when held or restrained. She was badly abused inhere former home and was removed from herprevious home due to abuse and neglect. Her former owners kicked her so badly they shattered her elbow. Then the vet experiences sealed the deal. I worked with her favorite food and did step by step reconditioning. Takes a long time and go slow and do not move forward on next step until dog is looking forward to previous step. Try touch and reward first. Invite dog to reach out and touch and reward. Then you work on touch dog and reward.. break down into steps with increasing contact. Your goal is for your dog to associate restraint with reward praise and food. Go too fast and you push the dog into a bite. Train the dog that restraint equals something pleasant. Ian Dunbar has some great aggression training techniques and can retrain a dog thy bites when you trim nails into a dog that puts the paw into your hand and invites you to trim the nails. Hope this helps. Clear your mind.. a good trainer can help. Ps. If you give your dog a shot just prior to a dog obedience class without a bit of time elapse you may end up with a sore irritable stressed dog in class. Be careful. Might be a good idea to watch first class from sidelines if your dog just got a shot. Ps I have adopted older rescue dogs most of my life..love them all.

Class went very well tonight.Duke was very nervous and insecure when we got out of the car on the busy street with lots of cars driving past.I just realized that he has not been out at night to see car headlights,I need to take him more places.I was very cautious around the other dogs and didn't let him get too close.We worked on basic heeling and stopping and sitting.That is homework for the week.He did well, but I can tell he is very insecure in strange surroundings.Since I had him he has only been to the vet We are definitely going to go more places now that I am doing better with the knee.He didn't attack and dogs or people so it was a good night.When he was on the floor at home I held onto a hind foot for quite a while with no problem.I am going to work on taking his temperature and eventually getting a muzzle on him.Have to remember to go slowly with him.

In Duke's mind, you are all he cares about and nothing else. Its all about you in his life. Duke is going to be the best dog you have ever owned. He is very much in tune with you, gave your vet the warning which was "normal" for him to do. He could have just bit but he chose not to. Another thing is getting him to relax when he's out with you on the town. That was a biggy with my GSD who was always freaking and acting skiddish. Now she's the most social gal in the world. He just needs time and becuase he's been bounced around so much, probably more time than you'd think. He will save your life one day. That's what GSD's do when they love you. .

Latest posts

Back