Cinnamon and Tubby Girls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In bulk at most larger stores or look for ethnic stores (Indian/Arab foods or Hispanic).

I remember a friend telling me she used this on her older horse that had metabolic issues and it worked well to keep it under control.

Thanks for sharing the information - I have a few that could use it. Hmm . . . cinnamon tea for me too!!!

I bought the cinnamon for the horses in the dollar isle of the store, probably not the quality of the expensive cinnamon, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try.

Yes, 1 tsp. per day is what is recommended. Honestly, within 3 days the orbital fatty deposits on my IR mare were gone.

Liz R.

Got any before and after pics?
Ok, I know that cinnamon is NOT cheap... is there a place to buy it in bulk or cheaper than in the grocery store??
default_new_shocked.gif

For the mare that was on Thyro L- was she blood tested low thyroid? If she is off the meds, she will not lose the weight. I have a mare that was sold to me that is obese, and she has low thyroid and started on the meds about a month ago. No change yet, but the vet said it can take MONTHS if not at least a year. I would love to see her drop some weight cause it is just not healthy her being so fat. And she would look like an entirely different horse I'm sure!
Costco normally has it in bulk. Azure Standard...you can also get large amount in bulk... cheaper than Costco.

And yes.. you are right.. the price has gone up a lot. I have been using it too.

I'm finding this very interesting and have a couple to test this on. I have one question. One of my horses has the cresty neck but has problems gaining weight. Would this help the crest or would it reduce his weight. That I do not need to do. But would like to reduce the crest and I've not found anything super effective yet. I'd appreciate your opinions.

I'm finding this very interesting and have a couple to test this on. I have one question. One of my horses has the cresty neck but has problems gaining weight. Would this help the crest or would it reduce his weight. That I do not need to do. But would like to reduce the crest and I've not found anything super effective yet. I'd appreciate your opinions.
Please do further research on that. I wouldn't give it to a thin horse with a cresty neck.

Ok, well dug out the cinnamon to give it a try. She hates it.

How the heck do you get them to eat it? This mare is a PIG and turned her nose up at it, though it was mixed in beet pulp, with a handful of tasty pellets on top.

For the mare that was on Thyro L- was she blood tested low thyroid? If she is off the meds, she will not lose the weight. I have a mare that was sold to me that is obese, and she has low thyroid and started on the meds about a month ago. No change yet, but the vet said it can take MONTHS if not at least a year. I would love to see her drop some weight cause it is just not healthy her being so fat. And she would look like an entirely different horse I'm sure!
No, the mare wasn't tested. My vet put her on Thyro L from her appearance. She was on Thyro L for about 4 months and I weaned her off of it as I don't like to use it long term. She's in foal now and I just wondered if anyone knows if cinnamon would have any adverse affects on a pregnancy?

My mare is IR and has been on Thyro L since spring. Would it be a bad thing to have her on both cinnamon and Thyro L?

So they do hate the taste? I have two mares that got terribly fat just on grass this summer. I don't feed grain now so I was hoping to put some in apple sauce in a syringe for them but I don't want my friendly mares to start running from me each day either. Does anyones horses like it?

Well, first I have to thank Shortpig for this awesome info. I started my fat gelding on cinnamon this week (and myself! - had my cinnamon toast this morning
default_rolleyes.gif
) and I am hoping it will help. I'll report back after a couple weeks...

Now, on to the latest question: Do horses hate the taste? My gelding ate his food like he always does, cramming it into his little mouth as fast as he can, and my picky mare sniffed his dish as if she'd like to try it too. I would say that you might want to start them gradually - I gave my guy a 1/4 teaspoon the first day, half teaspoon the second day, and now we're up to a whole teaspoon. Some horses are just plain picky, like my mare who thinks I'm trying to poison her every time I change her diet... But I would think they'd come around with time...

Can't wait to hear others' findings on this...

sounds interesting but I think adding the cinnimon to ice cream or sugar quite possibly would negate the effects your trying to achieve!

Just my $.02!

Last edited by a moderator:
My Donkey was a bit picky about it at first... the other three.... no problems. Think some of them just have to have it added very gradually... maybe just a tiny sprinkle to start and over the next couple of weeks...keeping adding a bit more until they are used to it.

Applesauce is high in sugar, so that is not a very good choice.

You can mix some pelleted feed (low NSC) with water, and then add the cinnamon and any other meds to the mixture. There are quite a few companies that make plain pellets - Mountain Sunrise for example makes pure timothy pellets).

Liz R.

"I'm finding this very interesting and have a couple to test this on. I have one question. One of my horses has the cresty neck but has problems gaining weight. Would this help the crest or would it reduce his weight. That I do not need to do. But would like to reduce the crest and I've not found anything super effective yet. I'd appreciate your opinions. "

For Judi (& others): I too have a mini with a heavy crest that is otherwise not overweight. I had her tested and depending on how you interpret the results, she is insulin resistent. She has responded well to a low starch diet - her hay was tested low NSC and she gets Blue Seal Carb Guard for grain. (She is a show horse - halter & performance). I also had her on Remission (Magnesium/chromium) which is supposed to reduce the crest and help revent founder, but all it seemed to do was reduce her energy level (not good in a show horse!). I lowered the dose of that so that she has more energy. I am not trying the cinnamon on her.

"I'm finding this very interesting and have a couple to test this on. I have one question. One of my horses has the cresty neck but has problems gaining weight. Would this help the crest or would it reduce his weight. That I do not need to do. But would like to reduce the crest and I've not found anything super effective yet. I'd appreciate your opinions. "For Judi (& others): I too have a mini with a heavy crest that is otherwise not overweight. I had her tested and depending on how you interpret the results, she is insulin resistent. She has responded well to a low starch diet - her hay was tested low NSC and she gets Blue Seal Carb Guard for grain. (She is a show horse - halter & performance). I also had her on Remission (Magnesium/chromium) which is supposed to reduce the crest and help revent founder, but all it seemed to do was reduce her energy level (not good in a show horse!). I lowered the dose of that so that she has more energy. I am not trying the cinnamon on her.

Yes I have him on a low starch diet and he is picking up weight and seems to be appear somewhat better and I've had him on Remission until recently. Just ran out and I'm trying to decide if it really had any effect at all. I'm not going to use the cinnamon on him either but would love to know how to reduce the crest just a bit more. With more weight on him it doesn't appear as bad and he's not the least bit over weight, I'd say we are just about right where we need to be on his weight. His crest is still larger than I want it to be and although it doesn't totally break over it does seem to lean more to one side then the other. Just want him healthy first which I believe his diet is doing and I want the crest to reduces because he is a show horse as well. Thanks for the input and I always welcome more.

I will cut her back on the cinnamon for a bit and increase it gradually and see if that helps. I didnt think a teaspoon was all THAT much, but I guess to them, when you are not used to eating it, it's a lot and something new. Ha, reminded me of pumpkin pie! Mmmmm.

I am shocked, Becky, that your vet prescribed the Thyro L based on LOOKS!! My friends have been breeding Minis since about 1980, and they have had some tested over the years that they thought would have been low thyroid, and they were NOT at all!

Without a test, to see if the horse really is low, or to see how much they might need, and follow up testing (my vet recommends every six months minimum after they 'level out') this can be dangerous and a health hazard to a horse that does not need thyroid!! It reacts like it does in people and can cause damage - this can cause heart problems like palpitations, breathing problems, muscle weakness, fertility problems, increased sweating, hair loss, emotional changes, nervousness, anxiety, stomache cramping, seizures and even heart attacks!!

In addition, the medication can make their own thyroid production change to where you do end up with a permanent problem because they begin to become dependant on it- their body thinks they dont need so much, etc.... !!

I just started giving my Giddy some for his fat tummy. He eats it right up!! I just put in his grain..

How many of us are now looking at the cinnamon container and saying...Hmmmm that is looking good and starting to sprinkle in on everything . ha ha. Just a thought.

I do know that when I had a cushings pony that cinnamon was recommended at that time to regulate the sugars.

How many of us are now looking at the cinnamon container and saying...Hmmmm that is looking good and starting to sprinkle in on everything . ha ha. Just a thought.
That what I was thinking!
default_laugh.png

This is a very interesting topic!

Are you giving the cinnamon to healthy but chunky horses or just one's that are IR? I have a couple that live on air (almost) the Black and white paint looks like a soccer ball with legs.

With winter coming I thought maybe we could try the cinnamon on him with alittle grain. But he doesn't have what I'd call a crusty neck, at least yet.

I'll be watching for updates w/ pics
default_aktion033.gif
default_biggrin.png

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back