Cinnamon and Tubby Girls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I am, LOL!! I am beginning to certainly look at it differently besides pumpkin pie and on toast!!

I am going to keep a photo log I think on this one, and see how things go.

Shortpig, I am so glad you brought up this subject and your info so far with how yours are doing!!!

Today is day two for my mare- I did cut it back to just a 1/4 tsp. this evening to see if she would notice less.... oh no. She curled her upper lip right away, but did eat some before she walked off to see if there might be anything else she could eat instead. I will just try a 1/4 tsp all week I think, then maybe next week up it to a half, and so on... of course once she gets used to it, she may not mind so much.

I am anxious to hear how everyone else's does too so maybe we should do monthly updates or something?!! We can have our own Mini Weight Watchers and Health Club!! LOL
default_wink.png

My horses are pigs probably from living with Shorty
default_new_rofl.gif
They scarfed it down first time. Even the boys just chowed down on it like little piggys at the trough. They are all dropping the fat but keeping the underneath aspects at this point.

I too have this urge after feeding in the morning to have a big bowl of oatmeal with cinnamon for breakfast. Then after night feedings it seems like either pumpkin or apple pie would be great. But trying really hard to refrain from that at this time.

It definitely working however with my herd.

Would appreciate it if everyone would give results after a couple weeks. I notice the fat on underside moving back from front legs. Looks strange but is a nice sign it is working. Also their necks are slimming which with mine means they have necks. Hoping everyone gets the same results I do from it. I think now they are actually looking forward to their cinnamon. They eat slower and seem to enjoy their meals more.

WOW, Ok today is day 3 for my mare on the cinnamon. She has been on thyro L for about a month, but cut her back on that about 1/4 of it and started her on a 1/4 tsp of the cinnamon. She is eating it better so tonight will probably go to a half and half of each for a few days.

I am surprized at what I THINK I see already!!! After being on just the thyro L for a month, I noticed no change in her weight (I was told it would take many many months, which is ok- I didnt expect instant success).

However, I think her flank area, which protruded like she was pregnant, is thinner!!!!! I can actually see where her hips are on top! She does not seem to have quite as much of a 'bloated' look all around her entire middle. I will take photos today, and hope to get some to compare with what I took before.... and continue record keeping as we go along.

Oh I sure hope this works for her sake. She is so heavy.... and would love to see what she should look like!!!

My mare is IR and has been on Thyro L since spring. Would it be a bad thing to have her on both cinnamon and Thyro L?
I am bumping this up because I would also like to know if cinnamon can be fed with Thyro L. My mare is on the Thyro L now but I am wondering if I can feed cinnamon with it or if I should just switch her to cinnamon only?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All,

I've had my gelding on cinnamon (1tsp twice a day in grain) since last fall and he looks 100% better. I promise to post "before and after" pics as soon as it warms up enough here to clip. My guys eat the cinnamon fine, although this gelding would eat anything I put in his dish, I swear... But my picky mare likes it, too. I just started slow, with a sprinkle, and worked up to a full teaspoon over the course of a week or two.

I'll be interested to hear what the experts have to say about Thyro L with cinnamon (or instead of)... I spoken "casually" wit a couple of vets who suggested the Thyro L for my fatty, but I'm really happy with the cinnamon at this point. His crest is much thinner, he looks like a horse instead of a sausage with legs - can't wait to clip him!

BTW: I've been putting cinnamon on nearly everything (but not on a regular basis) and so far no great effects for me...
default_sad.png
But then again, I've been eating Easter candy since Christmas, so not really a fair test.

Yes, yes, and YES!!!! My mare has been on Thyro-L and cinnamon both and she looks absolutely normal now!!!! It is FANTASTIC and I am telling you, yes IT WORKS!

My mare was so obese I got up every day to see if she had croaked during the night!!!! I just knew she was going to.

Will be updating pics this weekend, but her weight is now great and it didnt take that long to get it that way (on top of having a surprize baby for me a month or so ago!!)

Yes, yes, and YES!!!! My mare has been on Thyro-L and cinnamon both and she looks absolutely normal now!!!! It is FANTASTIC and I am telling you, yes IT WORKS!
My mare was so obese I got up every day to see if she had croaked during the night!!!! I just knew she was going to.

Will be updating pics this weekend, but her weight is now great and it didnt take that long to get it that way (on top of having a surprize baby for me a month or so ago!!)
YAY!!!
default_aktion033.gif
You just made my day. I have a red roan granddaughter of Komokos Little King Supreme and great granddaughter of Boones Little Buckeroo that is 9 yrs old and I had her vet checked for breeding soundness and nothing at all was wrong with her that they could find except for her weight so they think that is why she hasnt been able to settle. I would love to get a baby out of that mare and she looks absolutely terrible and is even starting to waddle when she walks. I have had her on the Thyro L for a week and am wishing it worked faster so hopefully the combo will make me notice a difference!

OMG, I can not believe how fast the weight became very manageable when I started the cinnamon! My vet had already warned me that on the Thyro-L it takes MONTHS- sometimes a year, before they look decent again. The cinnamon was noticable very quickly and within weeks this mare had such a huge difference. Check my old posts on my 'fluffy mare' from this last fall/winter. She is shockinly different now and did not have all the huge fat pockets within weeks after I added the cinnamon!!!!

I am following this thread with great interest as I too have an IR horse but she is fine now weight wise she was tested and needed Thro L for that and with what my vet calls Jenny Craig and the Thro her weight is wonderful but he also said she would need the Thro for the rest of her life. We test once a year to be sure the dosage is correct so my question is if a horse is truly IR arent you playing a dangerous game if you are taking away the Thro meds and replacing with cinnamon? I have heard the cinnamon is great for helping with the weight loss that is imperative for Ir horses but the Thyro does more than cause weight loss it regulates the Throid so if you quit the Thyro arent you asking for problems? Just curious

I've been feeding it and I mix it with their beet pulp which is soaked in hot water and the barn smells wonderful at feeding time and they all gobble it up.

My chunkier horses are looking good but I am also working them almost everyday too.

FYI I have one IR horse on Thyro L and it was after adding cinnamon that I saw changes in him especially in his mood and energy level. We drove him a couple of days ago and he looked fantastic and had a lot of energy. A very different horse than what he was like the last couple of years. I've also seen him out running, bucking and playing which is a change for him too.

Latest posts

Back