Cinnamon and Tubby Girls

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortpig

Reaction score
So I have a few tubby cubbies at my place. I decided to try the cinnamon theory on them. Along with their good meals they now get a tsp of cinnamon. It works folks. I can actually see the flabby bellies melting away on them. Their chests are losing the fatty deposits there also. WOW! Jasmine has an awesome long neck once the fat chest is gone. She actually has shoulders. I thought for awhile that it was just one solid horse behind the ears.
default_laugh.png
I can't wait to see my mares slim and looking good. For Jasmine it will be awesome to turn my good ole broodmare into a beautiful slim and trim trotting machine. It is also melting the belly off of Ariel. I can only imagine what she will look like all slim and trim pulling the cart. As for Duckie the trainer will work off that fatty little belly she has in no time. She is going to come home in about 3mos looking like a model. With her flowing blonde locks and shapely body it should only take a few minutes for her Mom and Auntie to straighten her right out as to her place in the herd.

It is so strange to see the area behind the front legs start to slim and melt away. The best part of this is I don't have to starve them. This is just great. So for fun I add it to Jimmy and Kodas food also. They seem to love the taste of it but I draw the line at putting on toast for them in the morning.
default_no.gif

Who among you has tried this wonder of nature and found the same results I have? I'm thinking a bowl of ice cream with cinnamon and maybe chocolate cake with cinnamon and we won't gain weight either. AWESOME!
default_shutup.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I have never heard of this???? Tell me more. Can you use thus for preggo mares to drop some fatty deposits?

Very interesting. I googled it an there are horse suppliments that are out there that incorperate this knowledge.

Carolyn

Interesting. I'll have to try that on a couple of mares I have who have decided to be round no matter how little they are fed. Can't see it doing any harm at least.

I'm very curious of this too and would love to try it. I would love to see then and now pictures of your girls to see the difference. I'm going to have to read up some more on this!

I've been trying it, but the one that really needs it, won't eat it.
default_rolleyes.gif
I'll keep trying and see what happens over the winter.

Thanks for the information. That seems to have been a well kept secret??????????????

I have a couple who will be starting on the regimen.

Does it work for people too
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Thanks for the information. That seems to have been a well kept secret??????????????
I have a couple who will be starting on the regimen.

Does it work for people too
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
Supposedly it does work for people too. Although, I don't think cinnamon/sugar on toast for breakfast is what they had in mind.
default_wink.png

I started my mares on cinnamon about a month ago. Now they can be cut back from 1tsp to 1/2tsp or only 1 tsp per day. Time to work them and get rid of the rest of the fatty bellys and chests. I have started my boys on it also for the last week. Honestly this stuff works great as far as I'm concerned. My favorite thing is they get about 4cups of wet beet pulp, 2cups of Orchard Grass pellets, 1 cup of Nutrena Lite twice a day. And OMG! They are losing fat instead of gaining it. They also get grass hay twice a day. It works. I noticed the fat melting off the girth area within one week. I was shocked.

For those of you who like the idea of eating cinnamon and losing weight. So sprinkled on a big bowl of ice cream. Yum.

I also thought about the cinnamon toast idea and of course who doesn't love cinnamon rolls. Maybe apple pie and sprinkle a little more cinnamon on it. What doesn't sound good to me is Chicken Fetucine w/Cinnamon or spaghetti w/cinnamon. However, Oat Meal w/cinnamon does sound great.

Go for it girls.
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_new_multi.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
So the dosage is 1tsp twice a day and after it begins to take effect reduce to 1 tsp per day? That should be relatively easy to get the horses to eat. (one hopes ;) )

When I did a search the dose I found was 1tsp per meal per day. Can't remember where I found that though. But with the fat they have already dropped I know I need to drop the dosage as I am looking for that happy medium where they will stabilize in their weight loss but not start gaining a bunch again either. My horses are all around 36" over under so you should also consider the size and weight of your own horses before deciding how much to give them per meal. I believe if you feed them twice a day they get it with each meal. So if you grain only once a day then you would put 1tsp in once a day. Keep in mind I am not a vet, I found this info on the internet and am using it on my own horses. Not one of my horses has said Yuck Cinnamon. I mix it completely in their wet beet pulp so it probably doesn't change the flavor much.

They say humans can also use cinnamon to help move the sugar from the blood and if you truly want to try this I might suggest adding it to a cup of tea without sugar. Wash your meal down with it and see how it works. Unless you are allergic or have other issues with it or you are a diabetic at which point I would talk to my doctor about it first if you are on insulin. My understanding is they are actually testing it on humans with insulin resistance to see if it will help them. Imagine if it helps humans lose weight and it is a totally natural treatment. The drug companies will not like that at all.

My daughter buys it from the bulk bins at Winco Grocery Store very cheaply. I have also cut back on the amount of grass hay they get along with their beet pulp mixture.

Copied from the Smartpak site: Cinnamon is a plant whose bark and oil contain an active ingredient recently discovered to mimic the effects of insulin. The compound MHCP has been shown in numerous studies to lower blood sugar (glucose) by enhancing the movement of sugar from the blood and into cells. By helping insulin work better, Cinnamon may be beneficial in cases of insulin resistance.

One of my mares is 16yo and not overly active my other mare is 15yo and again not overly active. They are heavy but healthy. I thought this would be something I could try without harming my animals like alot of drugs do with humans.

If we can use natural remedies I prefer to do that.

Hope this helps you can do a search for Insulin Resistance in horses and cinnamon to see what you get here is one link I found: http://www.wholehorse.com/articles/cinnamon_article.htm

And here is another link that talks about beet pulp and cinnamon both good: http://iceryder.net/beetpulp.html

I'm going to give it a try with one very fat girl here. This mare has been on every diet I can come up with and still no significant weight loss. She has been on Thyro L too, but I have weaned her off of that as I hate to use it for a prolonged period of time. This mare is only getting a diet balancer twice a day and a handful of grass hay 3 times a day and she still looks like the Goodyear blimp! Is it safe for breeding animals?

I'm going to give it a try with one very fat girl here. This mare has been on every diet I can come up with and still no significant weight loss. She has been on Thyro L too, but I have weaned her off of that as I hate to use it for a prolonged period of time. This mare is only getting a diet balancer twice a day and a handful of grass hay 3 times a day and she still looks like the Goodyear blimp! Is it safe for breeding animals?
I don't know about breeding animals and the effect. You might want to do some research on that. Personally I would get the weight under control before breeding the mare. I would want to know why the weight problem exists.

Got any before and after pics?

Ok, I know that cinnamon is NOT cheap... is there a place to buy it in bulk or cheaper than in the grocery store??
default_new_shocked.gif

For the mare that was on Thyro L- was she blood tested low thyroid? If she is off the meds, she will not lose the weight. I have a mare that was sold to me that is obese, and she has low thyroid and started on the meds about a month ago. No change yet, but the vet said it can take MONTHS if not at least a year. I would love to see her drop some weight cause it is just not healthy her being so fat. And she would look like an entirely different horse I'm sure!

Latest posts

Back