"Chronic" snotty nose

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
I have a yearling that has had a snotty nose since September. It has always been clear and altho she had a bit of a cough that went along with it that seems to have resolved itself. Its never a lot, but is always "runny". As I said, it is always clear and has never been green or thick yellow-y gunk.

I have been giving her (along with all the other horses) Vitamin C daily. One other horse had the same thing as her, but has resolved it. No other horses have had any snot or cough (and 4 others share buckets with her and the other 6 share fence lines).

Is there anything I can give her that will resolve the snot?
default_unsure.png

(She is otherwise healthy.)

It likely can be cured, but may need some further diagnostics. Have you had the guttural pouches scoped?

Dr Taylor

What's her living situation? I had a yearling filly that had been on the show circuit and came home with a runny nose. It would come and go and sometimes it would be thick and white. After about 6 weeks, I took her to the vet. They kept her and did a thorough workup (scoping, labs, etc). They couldn't find anything. She had been living in a stall (whole show circuit thing). They suggested I turn her out (live in pasture). I did that and the running nose was gone in a few days. It was probably due to dust and shavings.

Good luck!

Could her teeth be causing the problem? I know that sounds strange but I have seen and heard of a number of horses who have snotty noses (often on one side at a time) that are not an infection or virus but caused by a tooth crowding into the nasal cavity. I have only seen it in more mature horses but it might be something to check into.

Might help also is pen G for 3-5 days might want to ask the vet if this would help and be OK to try.

Back