Christmas $$$$$$$

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River1018

Reaction score
How many people do you buy gifts for......does anyone else draw names? Seems like every year it gets more expensive
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Oh yeah, you're telling me! I have two families to purchase for (step family and my family)...my step family is HUGE and always draws names for Secret Santa...that leaves me with

mom

dad

sister 1

sister 2

step sister

step mom

grandma 1

grandma 2

grandpa

sisters husband

sisters fiance

my boyfriend

his dad

his dads gf

step family secret santa

friend 1

friend 2

lilbeginnings secret santa

work manager

work vice president

work accounting lady

cookies for others at work

Now times that by 3 (for my family) because I believe everyone should get at least 3 presents...just how I was raised I guess, always had a big christmas with lots of presents and if I show up with 1 present to the 10 I get well...it's a feeling of embarrassment! For me anyhow...my side of the family, we're starting to understand just one present each or rather, that we don't really want presents, we would rather share each others time together and get cards, which is really cool! I always get so financially stressed over christmas that i've learned to hate the holiday...I literally dread christmas!

Only good part is the sugar glazed cookies yum!

This is a big thing to me. I see on TV they're pushing everything hard. I think it is time to pull back on spending and get "A gift", albeit maybe a special one, but A gift for those you love, a card for others. Why spend hard earned money just to keep up with the past holidays...life is hard and doggone expensive. I am doing hand made this year mine and from some other folks too...some of them on this board. Folks need to remember what this season is about...love and caring and giving from the heart not the wallet! I expect my family will be a bit surprised but it is what I can afford to do and want to do. jmho

OHHH GOSH, between family and friends it just seems every year my list gets bigger and bigger. I have 41 to buy for this year, and as far as our family goes its very small, about 15 total, rest are friends! Alot of my friends this year, and some on this board are getting homemade gifts, I have made baskets of soaps, candles and baskets with the "gift jars" all containing differant items. I have also made alot of knot blankets, with horse themes on them, so all my horses friends will be getting those...but even those cost me about $20-25.00 each. I have made one every month, some are for family members too.I dont even want to know what I spend on christmas :eek: :eek: sure glad it only comes once a year! Corinne

Us too....the family has grown quite a bit in the past few years with the nieces and nephews and the added brother in laws and friends. We've decided as a family to get back to the basics of gift giving from the hands and from the heart....last year we hand crafted items and this year will be the same and let me tell you, the holidays were so much more enjoyable!! For the Christmas holiday instead of wracking our brains on where we were shopping and $$ wise, we were able to enjoy deciding on who's house we were going to and what plate of goodies we were bringing with us. Spending time with friends and family was a joy...so much FUN and we plan to continue the festivities this year as well. Why we waited so long to do this, I don't know...I guess a few of us had reservations that maybe home made gifts were not good enough.....?..... When the pressure was taken off everybody was able to sit back and enjoy each other's company which is what it's all about. I won't go back to the Christmas rush of the holidays.....I don't like it! :saludando:

The past couple of years the family has decided to really cut down on the number of presents we buy - thank goodness! As long as we spend Christmas together that's all that really matters. My friends and I just go out for a night together rather than do the present thing. I think I only have 5 people to buy for this year - two nephews, Mom, Dad, and my Secret Santa. Not having to buying a bunch of presents makes the time so much more enjoyable!

Well I am the poor one in the family brother makes ALOT of money and is a single guy mom and dad are doing more then fine... so we agreed I am not going to buy presents for them or vice versa (what could I afford to buy them they dont already have or want) so we just buy for the kids period.

Now of course for now the only kids in the family are my 2 girls so they make out like bandits but that works for us and as far as what I give them every year it is the same thing lol a framed picture of the kids doing something special to them during the year for Raven it is of course a horse related picture and for my oldest this year will be a Cheerleading pic and a first day at college pic

I typically don't exchange with friends as they are all long distance and postage is a killer, so I send cards.

As far as family goes, there are 9 of us, I think. My husband and me, his folks, his brother, my mom, and my sister and her family (sister, her husband and two kids).

Last year for my sister and her family; I made them a family quilt and then got the kids cute little stuffed animals, they don't quite understand that the quilt was a gift for all at only 2 and 4.

My husbands family tends to get carried away, especially his brother.

Let me see here..

Mother, Step-dad, Brother, Husband, Son, Sister, Brother-in-law, Niece, Nephews (2), Maternal Grandmother, Best friend, Best Friend's husband...

And sometimes others. 13 on the basic list, there, though- on our low income!!!

We have bought some toys for Nathan already. For the Niece and older Nephew, I attempt to get one "working" present (aka clothes, books, etc), and one or two toys- They get a lot of clothes and the like from the rest of the family for Birthdays/Christmas. Nathan and the younger Nephew are all about the toys right now, from me anyways. Hubby and the rest, just fun stuff or what they need, or whatever reaches out and says "HEY! I'm for them!"

I do wish people would remember I LIKE HORSES at Christmas time >.< Or even horsey stuff!!

We usually just buy for close family and friends.

Most often, we get what we can afford to, and truly try to determine what that person wants or needs before spending it.

I don't believe that the holiday should create a hardship for anyone. It should not create stress nor debt. I never feel like there is any kind of "score" being kept as in I do not expect to compare $$ value between gifts. To me, it truly is about the thought. If a person cannot afford anything monetarily, I am perfectly fine with a hand-written note, card, or any other "thought" inspired gift, even a visit!

I think Debs has great ideas. Putting together an intimate gathering for friends, a special evening with a nice meal could well be as much of a gift as an expensive gift. It doesn't clutter up the house, and chances are the memories will last longer than a tangible item.

I miss my Grandma, she used to make us quilts for Christmas and a small, handmade stocking which she would put a few dollars in, depending on how flush she was at the time. I still have most of the quilts and the stockings.

Liz M.

I'll be making donations this year (to animal shelters) in the name of my family and friends. I'll also send out cards.

My parents will not let us buy them Xmas gifts anymore which is almost a relief in a way... If they'd like it and I can afford it, they have it for sure. It was hard to try and think of things they'd like, but hadn't thought of for themselves.

So, now we buy for my two nephews (3rd one on his way!!!), sister, H's brothers, H's parents, and give his newphews and nieces money, and a couple friends. We usually will buy ourselves something "big" we pick out together and give small gifts to each other other than the big thing we both want (no clue what that is this year... maybe a new bed?). We also give the dogs gifts,which we wrap
default_rolleyes.gif
:

I love Thanksgiving but I actually don't really like Christmas much. I usually get the blues, but don't know why.

My Hubby and I absolutely love Xmas, we put out decorations up indoor and outdoor, tree and all at the beginning of November. But we love it for the fun of decorating and getting together with family and friends and the good times of the season, it isn't ALL about getting gifts! We draw names with our families, and we even had the kids draw names with each other this year. My hubby does like to spoil me and I do try to get him to slow down every year but he does tend to get carried away. I would be happy if he just got me show sheen and fly spray and supplies for next years show season LOL We also get gifts for our doggies and horses. :bgrin We don't spend beyond our means, and absolutely nothing on credit cards!!! I don't want to be paying for Xmas next July!!

Pammy

We only buy for very close family - parents, sisters, brother-in-laws, nieces and nephews (including inlaws of course). That's 16 people - I spend way to much on each though - averaging between $120-$150 per person and parents around $200 each. I just can't seem to find anything for under that price that I like for them. I spend alot of time and try to find the perfect gifts and always seem to spend more than I'd like to, but I do like giving. This year hubby and I aren't going to buy for each other because we have a vacation planned second week in January for Vegas. Gotta save up that cash to put in the one armed bandits!!!

Art and I come from BIG families... We buy for whoever is local, the rest we send gift cert. to. Althought I do crochet afgans for the moms. Send $$$$$ to my son and daughter-in-law, send gifts to my 20 month old only grandchild! We were spending as much if not more on shipping gifts
default_wacko.png
:

Our family has scaled way back on giving presents. All of us are fairly successful and don't have any needs, so we just do the following:

$20 to each of 7 nieces/nephews.

Small gift to each mom (we buy them plane tickets, etc throughout the year).

Swiss Colony type gift basket ($30-ish) to two brothers' families.

Stocking stuffers for whomever is at our home for Christmas (small things like mechanical pencils, food treats, lip gloss, etc)

Hubby and I together buy one big thing we want...this year it's a Sauna! Whoo hoo!

Throughout the year I do quite a bit of canning, and just before Christmas I give jam (blackberry and strawberry) and a loaf or two of fresh bread to our neighbors.

It really does add some of the magic back into the season to be able to focus on relationships and time together rather than scurrying around trying to find just the perfect present that usually turns out to be not so perfect anyway.

Jayne

Hubby and I usually get something big we need for each other.

We have a family of 13 now with our children. Parents have passed.

Every year Christmas supper is in someone else's home.

This year is my daughter who just got married in July.

I still believe Christmas is for children.

We buy one gift, which is to be around $50.00 per couple, without taxes and than who brings a gift exchanges a gift. We draw numbers.

The grand babies all get gifts from (each couple.) 3 grandchildren so far.... :lol:

We all bring (2) dollar presents wrapped and we play the dice game, we have had more fun with the dollar gifts than the big expensive ones.

If intersted the game goes like this.

We have TWO sets of dice and roll / doubles get to pick a gift out of the basket.

When all gifts are taken, we go for another 10 minutes and take the unwrapped gifts from each other.

It is so much fun you got to try it. :new_multi:

I buy for 2. My husband and my son. Sometimes I buy for my self also!!

Everyone else gets pictures or home made things. I refuse to go into debt over buying christmas presents.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

Hehe, I was just talking about this with my friends this week! Being a college student money is tighter then normal so I only buy a few things for a few people. I normally work with my sister on buying gifts for our parents and grand parents; its normally clothes for them that they need. Then I work with my parents on buying for my sister and her husband; which is whatevery they need at the time. Lately Ive been putting together pictures and things like that for family and some of my friends. Normally for my friends I get stocking and fill them with little nicknacks or munchies. I have a lighthearted approach with what I get them. I buy for my 3 females friends (julia, kate, seshia) earings or other little jewlery and some other little things they like. This year for my boy who's in the airforce I buying him a ring that's written in gaelic and says "soul friends" its going to be the most expensive single thing I buy at $50 but for him its worth it
default_wub.png
:

~Megan

Back