Choosing a stud to put to mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow Glen

Reaction score
O.k I hope I can write down what is in my head to paper and expalin it right, I havent ever sent a mare away to a stallion as the mares I have were brought in foal so am just wondering about sending to a stallion next year,

If I am wanting to send a mare to a stallion next year, say I have choosen a stallon I would like to use is it best to ask the owner now and if they accept my mare to book it now or can ya just do it closer to the time?

the stallions I am thinking of all stand at public stud but I do realise that dosent mean they will breed my mare if they dont like her.

Also I am not really breeding for any particular colour at this stage I just want a foal that has good confirmation and colour etc comes as a bonus, I am wanting to choose a stallion that compliments my mare and vice versa so I get a foal hopefully with the comfirmation I want,

Can a stallion owner turn ya down because of the colour of ya horse?

Can ya put any colour of horses together to get the foal ya want?

I have an appy mare and want to find a nice stallion for her should it matter what colour the stallion is can any colour go together?

Or is it best to find a appy stallion with the right confirmation I am after to go with my mare because she's an appy as well

I hope this makes sense to everyone sorry it is long winded I hope sum1 can help me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as breeding for appy color, I do not really know what goes into that in terms of what combinations are likely to give you the best chance of appy patterns.

A stallion owner can turn any mare down for any reason. They don't have to stand their stallion and they don't have to be fair. Since they own the stallion, they decide how he's used (even if it makes no sense the things they may choose).

As a stallion owner, if I did decide to stand my stallions, color the the mare would be no factor at all. It wouldn't be a consideration to me. Conformation of the mare (and health) would be all I'd worry about when it comes to the mare.

For colors not to put together, as far as I know, you would not want to put to horses that carry lethal white overo together. Also, I think you want to avoid breeding two true roans (which is different than appy roan or sabino roan) together.

I would ask the stallion owner if I could breed my mare to him ASAP. They may not stand him, but they should be flattered so don't be shy about asking. It is a big compliment.

Good luck with your first planned / home bred baby. I know it's exciting
default_yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Good on you for looking for conformation first, colour last! So many others do it the other way around...
default_no.gif

I doubt any stallion owner would turn your mare down on her colour alone (unless as stated above, it could produce a lethal foal). If the stallion is a "popular" one, it's probably best to book in now to avoid disappointment.

Good luck, it can be an interesting exercise finding just the right stallion for your mare.
default_biggrin.png

I cross appaloosas with solids all the time; as others have said, it isn't the color that matters, so much as it is the suitability of mare to stallion, conformationally.
default_smile.png

I would definitely approach the stallion owner now and make sure that they will accept your mare, and have openings, etc. That way you can have your plans made, or have plenty of time to figure something else out. You have lots of time to anticipate this foal! Have fun!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back