Check out my new buckskin!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren&Rocky

Reaction score
Well I colored Rocky’s mane and tail. He does look better and much more buckskin like, but what a nightmare!! I have gone through about $45 worth of color. The last straw was me going to the beauty supply and getting color with 10 volume peroxide. Today I colored him twice and STILL did not get good coverage. I even soap caped him the second time. The color was too dark and I think that is because of the blotchy color I put on him the other day. It was “just for men†and I should have gone with my gut and NOT bought it. It was over priced and there was just not enough of it in 4 bottles worth of it. After that mess Rocky looked like a leopard with all the missed spots. All this for one color class this weekend! What a night mare.

Making his mane and tail so much darker really changed his body color too. He looks like a real buckskin!! I used a level 3 brown, BTW. it is not black.

IMG_9034.JPG

allkinds014.jpg

IMG_9036.JPG

allkinds012.jpg

allkinds017.jpg

werent you the one laughing at me for coloring a mane?? LOL. Yours was harder because you didnt thin his mane and forelock down first. If you thin them down its MUCH easier to get the color in. Now having said that I do know that alot of people prefer the thick manes
default_smile.png
but in the show ring less is definately more. He looks great.

ps its BUCKEROO
default_smile.png

Last edited:
Sorry about the spelling. :eek: Does that mean you can tell I am new to minis? :bgrin

Now you tell me about thinning!!
default_rolleyes.gif
: I figured it would be easier with a lot less mane, but I like his thick. I was wondering how "Just for men" was gonna be enough!! :bgrin

Oh my, the song "Do YOU Think I'm SEXY" is playing in my head, great job he looks years younger! Best of luck at the show and do have fun!

He does look much better.

I do not understand the problem with the Just For Men.

I have used it for a number of years, on a number of horses and it has always done great.

I agree with Kay, may have been because how thick his mane is.

Besides making it easier to color, it won't make him look so bulky. Not that he is, but a thick mane makes the horse look thick. JMO

Glad it all worked out, it is a great improvement and you did a great job.

I also think there was not enough of the "Just for men" I can get Clairol colors from the beauty supply a lot cheaper and it was for gray hair too. I will use it from now on.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh he looks awesome!!!

I can't wait to see him this weekend
default_smile.png
I am going to try to be able to relax and talk more even though its the same scenario as last time (3 horses in 3 classes in a row
default_wacko.png
default_smile.png

Oh he looks awesome!!!

I can't wait to see him this weekend
default_smile.png
I am going to try to be able to relax and talk more even though its the same scenario as last time (3 horses in 3 classes in a row
default_wacko.png
default_smile.png
Well, I am having more work this time. 2 horses and 3 maybe 4 classes. I might enter Rocky in 'A' geldings once we get there. :new_shocked:

WOW THE CHANGE IS UNBELIEVABLE AND DEFINATLEY WORTH THE EFFORT ID SAY! !!!!
default_yes.gif
: HE LOOKS COMPLETLEY DIFFERENT,.............WATCH OUT BUCKAROO :bgrin

default_yes.gif
: That reminds me of coloring my best friends gelding mane and tail for a parade. We waned him to look like a dark palomino. but as we lightened them all he became a reverse app. with all the tail swishing he had light spots all over.

Beautiful. May I ask did you blend his legs too? How did you do that so it looked so natural? That takes talent. Will look forward to results. Congratulation.'Maxine

Well, I worked as a hair dresser for 10 years.
default_yes.gif
:

About his legs, I rubbed them with the color that was mixed with the shampoo just before I rinced him. I left it on maybe 3 minutes. I just wanted to see if it would make it blend in better as I felt the mane color was too dark. So, he has "Soap Caped" legs. :bgrin

Are these "Wows" good wows or bad wows? Did I do too much? IS he way too dark?

Well, if it is too dark, too late now I guess. I can't change it. I should have gone with a level 5 color. :eek:

Latest posts

Back