What color is our new leopard appaloosa colt?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is beautiful but he is a bit of a conundrum. Basically, IF the dam is Palomino and the sire chestnut (base) then he can only be red (chestnut) base. So I would test the mare ASAP, and if she really is a Pally, you need to test the stallion. Buckskin is not a possibility form those two colours.......

Gorgeous boy!! Congrats!! Dam must not be palomino if sire is chestnut (double red) as palomino would be double red and cream gene, but then they wouldn't have black to throw (black + agouti = bay and then add cream you get buckskin. But 2 sorrels/chestnuts shouldn't produce a black based foal, as they wouldn't have black to throw... so Maybe mom is a silver buckskin, & mistaken for pally...

I LOVE spots!!

My goodness, he's beautiful. I'd love to have that eye candy in my pasture--as a gelding.
default_laugh.png

Your gorgeous little guy does appear to be Buckskin. One of the parents would have to have thrown him the black gene and the cream gene. The Chestnut sire, obviously cannot carry either one. So, I would guess that his dam is not actually a palomino, but a Silver Buckskin (as someone else already suggested.) Silver Bucksins & Silver Bays often get mistaken for palominos.

Something else to consider....Is there any possibility that another stallion could actually the sire?

I'm not a huge fan of most appies, but I would love to have this gorgeous little guy in my barn!
default_wub.png
Congratulations, he is certainly a looker!

What a cutie.

As to color; the sire could be a silver bay instead of chestnut, so either parent could be listed as the wrong color.

Do you have pics of both sire and dam that you could post for color analysis.
default_yes.gif

Here are pictures of his dam and sire. The one of his dam was taken last summer. I knew then she was getting dark splotches of color. She is much darker now than she is in this picture. Is it the hormones of pregnancy that brought about her change in color, or just her aging? I will take a current picture tomorrow, but if you look closely at the colt's pictures above, you will see enough of her to see her color.

215418_1764832599593_1202488577_1614993_1628485_n.jpg

Here is the picture of his sire. Could he possibly be silver bay?

Apache_002eb.jpg

Here are pictures of his dam and sire. The one of his dam was taken last summer. I knew then she was getting dark splotches of color. She is much darker now than she is in this picture. Is it the hormones of pregnancy that brought about her change in color, or just her aging? I will take a current picture tomorrow, but if you look closely at the colt's pictures above, you will see enough of her to see her color.

215418_1764832599593_1202488577_1614993_1628485_n.jpg

Here is the picture of his sire. Could he possibly be silver bay?

Apache_002eb.jpg
I'd say he's silver bay, look at those dark, dark legs.

And, yes, pregnancy hormones (and the high plain of nutrition, at least if she's getting proper pregnancy diet) can darken the coat. My palomino mare was so dark two years ago when she had her first foal, she looked like a silver black, but she is not.

here she is right after foaling:

Caddyfoal-June92009.jpg

And two months later:

Caddyanddolly-summer2009.jpg

I'd say he's silver bay, look at those dark, dark legs.

And, yes, pregnancy hormones (and the high plain of nutrition, at least if she's getting proper pregnancy diet) can darken the coat. My palomino mare was so dark two years ago when she had her first foal, she looked like a silver black, but she is not.

here she is right after foaling:

Caddyfoal-June92009.jpg

And two months later:

Caddyanddolly-summer2009.jpg

Wow! With all those splotches on your mare, she looked dappled. But she did turn lighter again? And yes, when I posted that picture of the stallion, I saw the dark legs. I do not know why I did not think about that before. I bought him as a 2 year old and the breeder said he was a chestnut. Looks kind of obvious now that I look at the picture
default_doh.gif

Wow! With all those splotches on your mare, she looked dappled. But she did turn lighter again? And yes, when I posted that picture of the stallion, I saw the dark legs. I do not know why I did not think about that before. I bought him as a 2 year old and the breeder said he was a chestnut. Looks kind of obvious now that I look at the picture
default_doh.gif
Right now, my mare is nearly white, her winter woolies are so light, but I can see palomino peaking out of the fuzz.

Perhaps when the stallion was a colt and being registered he just looked plain red with no noticeable dark on the legs. But with him likely silver bay, your colt can easily be buckskin.

Sire is definitely a Silver Bay base, which is where your colt has acquired his Black form!

Dam is a Palomino and, I have to say, not necessarily Appy as Palominos do get those splodges and even very convincing spots, without any Appy heritage at all.

This little leopard appaloosa colt was born this morning at about 12:45 am. His dam was registered as a palomino by her breeder, her sire was a chestnut leopard appaloosa, her dam a palomino and this mare has heavy appaloosa characteristics. This past summer, after she was bred for the first time, I noticed she started getting darker in color or getting darker splotches. The last few weeks she has been shedding her winter coat and now she is almost completely shed out. She is definitely a lot darker in color than she used to be and she has darker splotches of coloring everywhere. Her mane and tail look alot more silvery white than they used to. This mare was bred to our chestnut appaloosa stallion whose sire was a leopard app, though I cannot find what color and his dam was a sorrel I think.

When this colt was first born, I thought he was a bay leopard, but when I started drying him off, I changed my mind. His rump and lower back are bright white with black, brown and tan spots, his shoulders, chest, upper front legs and upper back legs are a light, light tan or beige in coat(I thought he was dirty in these areas at first)with the brown and tan spots. His head is very dark with the lighter tan hairs along his jaw, bridge of his nose and mixed evevly with the darker hairs all over his forehead.

He is just a few hours old in these pictures and still has his front foal slippers on. I had to use a flash for these pictures, but hopefully they give you a good enough idea of his color. If someone could affirm what color he is, I would greatly appreciate it!
default_saludando.gif

215650_1762461500317_1202488577_1612804_7766190_n.jpg

206649_1762462460341_1202488577_1612807_2641584_n.jpg

216134_1762462620345_1202488577_1612808_3356016_n.jpg

207313_1762464860401_1202488577_1612813_7686649_n.jpg

215965_1762465180409_1202488577_1612815_6072086_n.jpg

Oh My HE IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sire is definitely a Silver Bay base, which is where your colt has acquired his Black form!

Dam is a Palomino and, I have to say, not necessarily Appy as Palominos do get those splodges and even very convincing spots, without any Appy heritage at all.

Yes, the mare does not have any appy spots, just appy characteristics. She has the sclera eyes, striped hooves, and mottled genitals.

So those spots are called, "splodges"? Do these splodges also show up in the males or mostly mares in foal? My little palomino stallion is a year older than my mare and he has never done this.

Thanks so much for all the info!
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back