What color is our new leopard appaloosa colt?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnadams

Reaction score
This little leopard appaloosa colt was born this morning at about 12:45 am. His dam was registered as a palomino by her breeder, her sire was a chestnut leopard appaloosa, her dam a palomino and this mare has heavy appaloosa characteristics. This past summer, after she was bred for the first time, I noticed she started getting darker in color or getting darker splotches. The last few weeks she has been shedding her winter coat and now she is almost completely shed out. She is definitely a lot darker in color than she used to be and she has darker splotches of coloring everywhere. Her mane and tail look alot more silvery white than they used to. This mare was bred to our chestnut appaloosa stallion whose sire was a leopard app, though I cannot find what color and his dam was a sorrel I think.

When this colt was first born, I thought he was a bay leopard, but when I started drying him off, I changed my mind. His rump and lower back are bright white with black, brown and tan spots, his shoulders, chest, upper front legs and upper back legs are a light, light tan or beige in coat(I thought he was dirty in these areas at first)with the brown and tan spots. His head is very dark with the lighter tan hairs along his jaw, bridge of his nose and mixed evevly with the darker hairs all over his forehead.

He is just a few hours old in these pictures and still has his front foal slippers on. I had to use a flash for these pictures, but hopefully they give you a good enough idea of his color. If someone could affirm what color he is, I would greatly appreciate it!
default_saludando.gif

215650_1762461500317_1202488577_1612804_7766190_n.jpg

206649_1762462460341_1202488577_1612807_2641584_n.jpg

216134_1762462620345_1202488577_1612808_3356016_n.jpg

207313_1762464860401_1202488577_1612813_7686649_n.jpg

215965_1762465180409_1202488577_1612815_6072086_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Im rubbish with appy colouring but I would guess possibly a buckskin appy ???? what ever he is e is GORGEOUS !!!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah

default_yes.gif
Hes pretty! And flashy color! I say buckskin. I have a couple here that are the same color and I KNOW they are buckskin.

I'm at work and our monitor needs replaced (colors are off, even text is getting hard to read, LOL), so I won't comment on his color, but what a pretty, eye-catching foal! Lucky you to have arrive with spots!

Thank you so much for all the sweet compliments!! I was very pleased when he was born. I just knew this mare was going to throw me a beautiful appaloosa and I really did think it would be a leopard.
default_wub.png
But I never dreamed he would come out with a black mane and tail when both his dam and sire and all four grands are flaxen or silver!

Since most all of you agree that he is probably a buckskin, that is what I am going to call him.
default_biggrin.png

BUCKSKIN!!!

and a handsome one at that! OH he can come live with me!

CONGATS!!!

OH I JUST SAW HIM!!! What a beautiful--I'd call him a--Buckskin Leopard!!! Especially with those socks and dark points -- gorgeous! I wanted to say a Bay, but I'm looking at the jaw line and thinking Sooty Buckskin Leopard, as my Sooty Buckskin mare has that dark face and buckskin stockings, mane & tail, a light buckskin body, with buckskin and dark chocolate spots on a white blanket.

I remember one buckskin colt that I had born here that was a buckskin, but he had a couple of really dark/almost black spots on his butt. Like the Spot Sprite and Appaloosa Angel couldn't decide what color he should be! I just call those extra dark spots a bit of "ICING ON THE CAKE!"

He is VERY, VERY nice!!!!!!!!!

You can send him to Florida, any time!

HE ALREADY IS IN FLORIDA!!
default_laugh.png

Thank you for the lovely comments. I love that his spots are 3 different colors - as you say, the black ones are icing on the cake!
default_biggrin.png

WOW!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_wub.png

Can't comment on the color.... but can comment on what a looker he is....

Very nice! He would fit right in at our place.
default_yes.gif

Kim

Congrats on your new spotted baby! Wow, what color! I would also say he is buckskin! Hot dog!

Hot Dog! is a great response Laurie..Hot Dog is what I say too

I think Buckskin and what a handsome one at that

so Very Nice!!

Congrats on a healthy handsome appy guy
default_wub.png

edited to add: I think he wants to come to NJ
default_biggrin.png

I'd go with buckskin also. I must say he is beautiful. An appy breeders dreamboat. Congradulations.

Latest posts

Back