Cellulitis from bad foaling?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sassy1

Reaction score
My mare Sassie had a really bad foaling on 7th of October. I nearly lost her then. It was 5 hours before the vets managed to get the foal out. Needless to say she is badly bruised etc internally. It took about 2 weeks for her to start eating and passing manure normally. (And for her huge bag to go down!) She was then fine for 3 & 1/2 weeks.

Last Wednesday she looked like she had impaction colic and had two vet visits, and was taken to the vets on the Thursday afternoon. Vets had lots of trouble getting a vein to IV her. She was constantly lying down and straining like she was foaling. She was straining to pass manure if she was standing up. She was very nearly put down on Friday (the 13th!) Then the senior vet at the practice and I started thinking outside the square. We believe she possibly has Cellulitis around her pelvic area! As I have an area of Cellulitis on my leg from falling down a step a couple of months ago, I could relate really well to this. Sassie is home again and all the vet has prescribed atm is Bute. She is meant to have 3ml daily. I still have about 2 weeks supply of Trimidine powder available and I am tempted to give her that too.

Has anyone had a mare with Cellulitis from foaling? Any suggestions?

Why isn't the vet treating for the cellulitis? Bute is only for pain. Does the vet think the cellulitis will take care of it's self? Also, from what I have been told, Bute is not good for minis. There are other options for pain.

Also, I am very sorry for the loss of your foal. I am praying your mare gets better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im so sorry for your mare!

I have never seen this in a mare so not much help.

I know when my neice had cellulitis she was on antibiotics for a month.

Bute is better for swelling then banamine but please be very careful and give the lowest dose possible. It can lead to ulcers etc very quickly

Sending prayers for your girl

She possibly has scar tissue or a hematoma causing pain and pressure. I'd go easy on the Bute, too and look for other types of pain reliever/anti inflammatory medications. Do keep her on ulcer medication while she is being treated. Good luck and I hope you get her through this!

I don't know about cellulitis but we had a similar type of symptom with a mare after a bad dystocia.

Upon further examination they discovered she had a tear higher up in the vagina that was infected.

The vets cleaned the internal area, flushed, and did the "caslik" procedure.

I believe I would get another opinion. And NO, on the BUTE! I had a Vet OD my colt on Bute that he insisted was better for horses than banamine. The horse died of liver failure and believe me that is a painful and ugly death! I will never forget that. Find something else to give her, it not only effects the stomach but liver/kidneys as well.

B

I believe I would get another opinion. And NO, on the BUTE! I had a Vet OD my colt on Bute that he insisted was better for horses than banamine. The horse died of liver failure and believe me that is a painful and ugly death! I will never forget that. Find something else to give her, it not only effects the stomach but liver/kidneys as well.
B
I agree, not Bute.

We use banamine when warranted.

Latest posts

Back