CDE driving..... advice?? (posted on driving page also!)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorsecwgrl

Reaction score
Hi again!

I love showing in local miniature horse shows, don't get me wrong, but I feel like I could do more! My gelding loves to drive and so do I, he is such a pleasure to do anything with really. But I have started hearing more and more about these combined driving events and how more and more minis are taking the shows by storm! I would really like to try this! the question is.....How? I use to ride large horses dressage, so is it the same concept, just in a cart? Or are there different things to look for and train them to do since they are in the cart? My sister (who still rides dressage) and I were discussing this yesterday. does dressage in the cart require more detailed training because there is no rider in their back, pushing them with their leg, to help them use themselves properly? The whole concept is very interesting to me and I would love to find out more! Especially about hazards! Please please please help me out with ANYTHING and ANY info you have is useful to me!

Thank you!,
default_smile.png

My trainer does CDE with biggies. It is virtually the same.

You can get a lot more information on the American Driving Society (ADS) website. I hesitate to post a link but you can easily Google it). Dressage patterns are also posted there. They are similar to ridden ones except no cantering! And of course you can use voice, along with whip and reins because you don't have "leg". I also used to ride dressage and found that I can still get that same feeing of "connection" when driving a mini that is on the bit and working off their rear end.

ADS events are usually of 2 basic types: Combined Driving Events (CDEs), which seems to the most recognized and include a marathon, and Pleasure Driving shows where most classes are in the ring. There are variations and even combinations! In our area, Open Shows also offer driving classes that go by the same rules. In MOST cases (but local rules vary) you need solid wheels on your cart (no spoked wheels/bike tires), only side checks are allowed and no checks at some levels, and drivers need to wear a driving apron and brown gloves and carry a whip. Local driving clubs can be a huge help; they are listed on the ADS website. I also take driving lessons from my former dressage instructor who has since learned to drive.

I am attaching a couple of recent photos of my mare which I would like to think show collection (in one) and impulsion (in the other), which as you know are steps on the dressage training scale.

Princess_197_c.jpg

Princess_204c.jpg

I have stepped into dabbling in the CDE arena also. It is so much fun and the horses seem to love it . My husband and I still show in the round ring but this is so much more challenging, cheaper and less stressful. I don't get the oppertunity to do it very much but when I do its a feeling of total freedom. I love the hazards and the cones and I love to be able to challenge myself and my horse. . I am not crazy about the dressage but it is part of the combined event and I am forced to learn it. So its really good for me . Its so wonderful that there are so many different ways of enjoying our mins and that we do have choises. I do find it hard to cross over my country pleasure horses to the CDE arena simply because they are used to the over checks and and martingayle that are required in the breed shows but are not allowed or frowned upon in the CDE arena. . However the Country Western Pleasure /Classic horses seem to do excellent in the CDE arena. I am definately no expert but I am learning and only wish I had more time and more access to the CDEs. Good luck with your new endevors. You will have so much fun.

Latest posts

Back