caveletti pole distances

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am beginning to train my mini for jumping, and wish to work her over ground poles.

How far do I place my pvc pipes apart for a walk, trot and canter? She is 33 1/2" horse.

I asked that question a few years ago. It really depends on your horse's stride. You need to observe, or do trial and error with placement. There is an article in the latest World magazine about halter obstacle and it shows the cavaletti.

Thank you! I thought somewhere I read 18 inches, but I can't find the reference. Darn! I will check out the world issue, too. tx!

Guesstimate it. I also put poles in really weird striding etc on purpose. At a show the ground crew could be rushed, and you never want your horse to be off guard! I do the same thing with jumps too, even when he was learning. Takes longer to teach, but, I have an educated horse that understands how to make any line work this way!

I think 18 inches seems too close together, at least for the trot. As others mentioned, it really depends on the length of stride for your horse, so you will need to closely observe and then adjust the poles as needed. You'll want to encourage your horse to lengthen his/her stride a bit. I agree with FurstPlaceMiniatures that it is a good idea to eventually familiarize your horse with a variety of spacing, because at a show it will not be set up for your horse. I was in an obstacle class recently where the poles were unevenly spaced (I don't know if this was an accident or intentional) and some of the horses had a hard time with that, but my horse took it in stride, so to speak!

Thank you all for helping. I will watch her stride and set the poles to begin with, but then will change things around when she seems to get the hang of it. I think for warm ups I will keep them her stride, tho.

I have been competing in the neighboring monthly shows with her on the in-hand trail course, and shown her three times, for

three blues against the big horses...and she is going over the big horse poles to do this. She seems to do it easily...so I'll quit

worrying...but I do put shin guards on!

I took my mini mare to her first ever show in January. She was the only mini there and brought home two blues from the two classes we entered! Halter and in hand trail! And she had not even started being taught anything yet!

congrats to you and your mini! It's a kick to see them win against the big guys, and the look on people's faces when they watch them do the class. I feel like mine is a mini ambassador everywhere we go. I had big horses for more than 40 years, and all my horse friends said "why ever do you want a mini?" when I got mine 5 years ago. Some of them are starting to understand, and I wouldn't trade her for anything!

Latest posts

Back