Cataract surgery-anyone have any experience?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
So the medicine I take to keep my breast cancer from coming back causes cataracts. Sigh. Went to the eye doctor couple of times and don't you know, I'm developing some in both eyes but mostly in my right eye. So he says I should maybe consider surgery and I say not until medicare kicks in (mainly because all this cancer stuff has cost us a small fortune) and he just throws out that I may be blind by then. Um.......not exactly what I wanted to hear. Sigh. I just can't catch a break, healthwise.

So I did some research and it seems like it's pretty straightforward. They take out the lens with the cataracts and put in a new lens. But they do it under a local. How in the world do you let them operate on your eye while you are awake? I mean, don't you blink or flinch or something? Surely someone has here has had this done. Wanna give me some feedback?

Yep! I had it done. Mine, I think, was caused by these shots I get in my eyes, which help a retina issue I have (due to diabetes). I get shots of Avastin (sp?) in my eyes, and one of the side effects is cataracts.

I had surgery on both my eyes about 2yrs or so ago. Do NOT look at the images you can find on the internet. I was in KNOTS worried but it was not a big deal. They did one eye first, then the next like 2wks later.

The results were AMAZING! I couldn't get over all the colors I could see but hadn't in so long!

For me, really, the worst part was that they gave me this shield that had to stay taped over my eye for like 1 day, and it was itchy. Seriously, that was the worst part.

It was a "miracle" for me because previously, I had to wear glasses for distance and reading, but I was able to get these "Toric" lenses put in, vrs. regular lenses. They are corrective lenses. I still need to wear glasses to read, but my distance vision is spot on and just could not get over what it felt like to SEE again. After the first surgery, I was amazed that I could see so much detail on the way home, loved that I could see so much more detail with our aquariums but dismayed at how much dust and dirt was in our house that I literally never saw before LOL!

If you do need glasses for distance, I would say to look into those Toric corrective lenses, or other brands which may be available now. It's beyond amazing, either way. Just being able to see all the colors is huge and with cataracts, it comes on slowly and you don't know really that you're missing out until they are gone. I think I spent several nights up way late because I couldn't get over how pretty and nice the stupid TV is. It's just incredible, but if you look online, it (for me at least) just makes you feel anxious about the procedure. I must have been quite "wired" before the 2nd surgery because I remember the nurses telling me to be quiet LOL! I remember feeling things going on but in a detached way. Nothing hurt. The only form of discomfort for me each time was the itchy feeling from the eye patch that you have to keep on for a day or so until you go for your follow up appointment.

Best of luck! For me, it's been a miracle to have it done.

PS I do think that Avastin is a drug for breast cancer, so maybe you had that as well? I had thought that it bothered me because it came in the form of a shot to the eye... But either way, I am sure that the cataract surgery will make your life so much better -- you'll be floored -- so I hope you will do it!

Sorry, I meant to say they did mine under a light sedation. I was aware of what they were up to the 2nd time, but not the first. But the 2nd time, I didn't even really care. I knew what was going on, but wasn't worried.

Same with my Mom. She is a very anxious person. She had light sedation. Didn't remember anything and says it was a breeze. The patch was slightly annoying. She only wears store bought reading glasses now and thats it. Except for sunglasses yet, because things are lots brighter!

My right eye is ready to be done, and I have met my out of pocket so I have until the end of June to get it done. I HATE to have anything messing with my eyes, need drugs! but guess I'll be doing it soon. A friend did it and said it was a no brainer. We'll see.

I had both of mine done, and my experience was like Jill's. I actually enjoyed being aware of what the eye surgeon was doing, but then I'm a sicko! I told them funny stories about our horses, but the surgeon made me stop because he couldn't operate while laughing. (I wanted local when i had to have my broken wrist operated on, but they wouldn't do it.)

I also love having good distance vision due to the corrective lenses, although they don't straighten out my crooked eyes.

A funny story: The nurse told me that they had one woman who asked why cataract surgery made her face wrinkle -- she didn't believe that her face was wrinkled all along, but she could only see it now!

I know I was pretty dismayed to how dirty looking some of our house was once I could really see all that I'd been missing
default_blush.png

Latest posts

Back