Cat people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h2t99

Reaction score
A friends cat is drooling and cannot close her mouth, has been seen by a vet and no broken bones. Has been on antibiotics for several days. Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks for any help!!!!

A friends cat is drooling and cannot close her mouth, has been seen by a vet and no broken bones. Has been on antibiotics for several days. Has anyone got any ideas or suggestions??

Thanks for any help!!!!
My Aunt's cat had the same symptoms. Unfortunately, her cat had cancer developing all the way back on the pallette where the nasal passages meet at the back of the throat. It was very difficult to diagnose but when cultured it came up positive for cancer. The vet gave her some medication that did help but of course the cancer grew too much and she had to have her cat put to sleep. Hopefully, this isn't the case with your cat but I thought I'd throw it out there since it was so hard for my Aunt's vet to come up with what was causing the symptoms.

Linda

Roxy's Run Miniatures

I am not sure, it is my friend's sisters cat, that is what I said, she did say the cat has always been indoors and is uptodate on vaccines. She was gonna ask her about bloodwork!! To me it sounds like a broken jaw, but xrays show nothing. She got home from work and the cat was like that.

If the x-rays didn't show anything, how can it be a broken jaw? It could be many things. It could be poisoning (certain plants etc.). Cats will drool and hold their mouths open and froth when something nasty is in there (have you ever tried to give a cat a pill...FUN
default_wacko.png
). Like "h2t99" said, it sounds like she needs some tests done, not just sent home with antibiotics
default_no.gif

I definitely agree with Matt.....and he knows cats!

Your friend needs to have the cat check for toxins, perhaps from a house plant if the cat is an indoor cat only.

If the cat is an indoor/outdoor cat you could be looking at all sorts of poisons and the cat should be treated with charcoal to start.

Your friend needs to give the vet a bit of a boot on the butt and get some tests going!!!

Hopefully it isnt this but we had a cat do that many years ago and he had a tumor in his throat.

Thank You everyone for the replies I have forwarded the info!! Hopefully all will be ok!

One of my cats looked at me one day with his mouth half open and couldn't close it. I thought for sure he had broken his jaw. Turned out to be something as simple as a tooth that needed to be pulled. I sure hope the vet checked his teeth closely. This was almost too simple to post but sometimes you just never know.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I saw something like that, it turned out to be a fine bone wedged across the back of the mouth/throat.I once heard of a cat that got a needle down her throat because she chewed on the thread it was on. Kitties get in trouble!

But I'm sure one of those things would have showed up in the X-ray? I hope they find out what's wrong and help her!

Latest posts

Back