Cart Sizes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
Hello All!

It has been a long time since I have gotten to get on much! I have a cart question. I have found a very slightly used (4 times!) easy entry cart that would be perfect to start my two boys out driving with, problem is I don't know a whole ton about what size I might need. I know the wheels are 24 or 26 inches. I will get shaft measurements tomorrow. My question is what is the needed space to be left between the horse and where the cart it? I measured both of my boys tonight from the point of the shoulder where the ends of the shafts would sit to their back ends. The one measured 35" and the other closer to 37". They are both B horses. What would be a safe shaft length? I'm really hoping that this cart will work for me!

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

For B size minis, I believe shaft length should be around 54"... A size minis fit better in the 48" carts. I've had B minis in the 48" carts if they were very short backed but it was a tighter squeeze for sure and not as comfy for the horse.

Andrea

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 37" mare who has a HUGE stride and she drives in a 56-58" Shafted cart. (Special order)

I'm far from an expert so- Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe from the rear end to the cart should be 12 inches or can be little more. I have read 8-12 inches depending on the stride.

How tall are the horses? You may have to adjust the wheel height if they are indeed 26 inches especially if the horse is a short B. I would check the shaft width also, that is where I had the most problem. I think they should be 17-20 inches apart where the shaft loops would go. Metal shafts can be bent in or out easy. Balance is another thing to watch out for.

Is the cart homemade or from a place that specializes in mini carts? (no offense to anyone, but just because it says "Amish made" doesn't mean they know what they are doing) I dealt with 2 homemade ones and ended up getting a new one from Ozark. Good Luck! hope it works for you!

Candycar made a good post and I agree with her whole-heartedly. I was thinking 12-15" depending on stride length of the horse, but 8-12" could be reasonable too. It just depends on the horse.
default_smile.png
Either way, your one horse might be okay in the 48" mini shafts (35"+12"=47"), but it sounds like the other horse might need longer pony shafts to be comfortable.

If this is a name brand metal easy entry like Frontier or CTM, you can order pony shafts and different wheels until everything fits properly and then you'll be all set!

Leia

Thanks everyone for the answers! The cart is a custom built (not for one horse in particular) so I don't think the shafts are removable. Waiting to find out tonight. I sure hope I have a new cart this weekend! I've been dying to get my stallion behind a cart for awhile now!

Back