Can de-worming a mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marnie

Reaction score
I didn't realize Snow White was this close and dewormed them all the other day. This mare has never foaled early for me. I first turned my stud loose on May 22nd last yr so she has to be at least 2 wks early. I usually never deworm in the last month of pregnancy, I wait until they foal and then do it. Could doing this make her foal early? I should know the answer to this but I don't. She does have a good bag of milk but some of the other signs were just half way on a mare that usually shows all the signs.

The baby is fine, it's a beautiful flashy filly, typical Cheyenne baby, what a legacy he has given us, we no longer own him or plan on breeding any more, I have just Jazzman bred to him yet so this baby is really special. Camera cord is shot so can't upload pictures right now.

All our horses are wormed regularly, whether pregnant or not.

We have never had a problem.

I wouldn't expect that it would make her foal any sooner than she was supposed to...looking forward to pics of your new baby!!! Congrats
default_saludando.gif

We've never noticed that deworming in the last stages of pregnancy made a mare foal early.

I would expect that in this case your mare was just ready to foal when she did. It's not uncommon for mares to foal without all the normal signs, even if every other year they've done it by the book.

Me either, I have noticed no difference in the foaling times vs deworming.

Would love to see photos of your pretty little girl.

Beth

I believe worming before foaling, might prevent foals from getting worms through the mares milk.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. I know of a longtime breeder here who believes hand on heart that worming with Ivemec prior to foaling can make your mare foal early and used to advise her clients NOT to worm with it in the last 30 days. We have wormed our horses every 6 weeks year round, in foal or empty with all sorts of anthelmintics. Perhaps it was a coincidence or maybe there is some truth to a story I always thought was a crock...

IMO 2 weeks before day 340 is not early. It just means the foal was done cooking. If it had been too early you would have had problems with your foal. Congratulations on your new foal by the way..
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back