Can any one tell me about...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvmycritters

Reaction score
[SIZE=10pt]I bought a riding horse ( hope this post is in the right erea ) and come to find out she has been trained in parelli - does any one know any thing about this method of training? The only thing I can find on line are books or videos that require purchasing...Just thought I would give it a shot here... Thanks in advance,[/SIZE]

Lori

Parelli is one of those 'Natural Horsemanship' programs. It was started by Pat Parelli and is 'run' by him and his wife Linda.

This is a very popular NH program, due in part to the 'homestudy kits' that they sell for their first three levels. There are ten levels, which Pat Parelli says he hasn't even reached the tenth level, I believe he says he's on the 8th level.

Here's a sort of rundown on the first three levels:

Level One- The focus is more on training the person than the horse. It consists of almost all groundwork, with tools such as a rope halter, 'carrot stick,' and other expensive dodads that can be conviently purchased on their website
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol: . There are seven games(all on the ground).

Level Two- The focus shifts a tad more towards riding, and working with your horse rather than against. There are exercises to get your seat lighter and having a seat that works so it doesn't hinder your horse. You also work more on the seven games, but making it more difficult.

Level Three- At this level, you can find people riding bridleless, doing the seven games sans halter and rope, and being able to communicate with your horse with very subtle movements.

It is a great program, but if you don't know how to do Parelli yourself, the horses previous training is basically of no use to you. It does give them great manners and ways to handle their emotions when frightened so they are better horses, but you wouldn't be able to do any of the fancy 'tricks' a horse is trained to do unless you already know how to do Parelli.

[SIZE=10pt]Thank you CMR. I have heard pretty much what you mentioned. This horse is only five years old and a joy to ride, pretty much bomb proof already. I just wish I new more about how she was trained, but the person who had her last didnt know any thing about how to follow through with the training eather. Guess we'll just keep on as we have been. Thanks again for your input - it is much appreciated![/SIZE]

Lori

Here's a website to a forum that is all about Natural Horsemanship programs, mainly Parelli. You do have to register, but it doesn't cost anything and they don't send you any spam in your e-mail.

Forum

Parelli used to have a quick description of the seven games on their website, but I guess they removed it. So here's just a brief description of each game-

Game 1- 'The Friendly Game' Just a technical way of sacking your horse out. They tell you to play the friendly with any object your horse has issues with, and also to play it inbetween all the other games, to insure the horse doesn't develop a fear of the carrot stick.

Game 2- 'The Porcupine Game' Teaches your horse to yield to steady pressure. There are four phases of pressure, 1- press the hair; 2- press the skin; 3- press the muscle; 4- press the bone.

Game 3- 'The Driving Game' Teaches your horse to yield to rhythmic pressure. You do the same exercises as in Game 2, but instead of pressing the horse with your fingers, you use body language more.

Game 4- 'The Yo-Yo Game' You get your horse to back up straight on the lead, and then come forward.

Game 5- 'The Circling Game' This is just a fancy name for lunging. However, you do not lunge your horse in circles endlessly, in the beginning you only do about two laps. You are supposed to stay still, and let the horse revolve around you, but do not turn. You also have them 'hide their hiney' or yield their hindquarters when you want them to stop.

Game 6- 'The Sideways Game' As the name says, you get your horse to go sideways. In the beginning you have your horse face something solid such as a fence, and then play either Game 2 or 3 to get them to move sideways. First you have them yield their nose, then their hindquarters, then their nose, etc.

Game 7- 'The Squeeze Game' It is Game 5, except you are now asking your horse to go inbetween a small space, be it between two barrels, or between you and the fence.

All of the games play off of each other, and there are many ways to make the games more difficult.

After you get through the games, you progress to saddling your horse, and then work on lateral flexion before you mount, and after you mount. Then once you mount you play the 'pushy passenger' game, which helps you move with your horse. You put your hands on the horses withers, let the horse go wherever they want, and just focus on your seat.

If you want to know anything else about the programs, I'd be happy to try and answer them. I have Levels 1 and 2, and I have nothing against 'sharing the secrets' :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back