Calling All Color Experts.............

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2Minis

Reaction score
I have had this filly since Feb. and she turned 1 year old Feb. 28th. I thought she was a typical bay until I clipped her and she definately has a dorsal stripe. Is that common for a bay or is she some sort of Buckskin?

Her dam is the palomino in the back ground and her sire is a pictured below, I think he is a black silver dapple or something like that, lol. All these colors get me so confused!
default_wacko.png
: :eek:
default_wub.png
:

Lacey with Momma:

100_3990.jpg

Lacey's dorsal stripe:

100_3982.jpg

And her Sire:

100_3890.jpg

Thanks so much!

Pictures were taken today, the date on the photos are wrong!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, since no one else has responded, I'll give it a shot.

It's possible that she's a bay dun or she could just be a bay with a dorsal, some bays do have countershading down their back that resembles a dorsal. Hers seems awfully dark and distint to just be countershading. One parent would have to be dun for her to be dun. The pictures of her parents make it almost impossible to tell if one of the other might be dun. Does she have any other dun characteristics? Bars on her legs (resemble zebra stripes around her knees and hocks), shoulder bars (I really don't know how to describe this characteristic), cobwebbing on face.

Very pretty girl.

With that picture, I'd call her a Bay. Pretty filly so congratulations.

Joyce L

I would also say bay. I have 3 bays with the dorsal stripe.

Thanks, she is a sweety! Momma is a palmino but has a faint line down her back. I don't know if you can tell from this photo. Is that normal for a palomino?? She is also unclipped in this photo, only belly clipped.

100_3996.jpg

The filly has no other dun factors that I have found.

Last edited by a moderator:
A countershaded dorsal is normal for any color. They do tend to show up and stand out well when clipped.

The Dam looks as if she has something else going on and, although I agree lots of Bays have false dorsals, that does look like a dorsal to me!!

Have you got better photos of her before she was clipped, in particular showing her head colour???

I agree with Jane.
default_yes.gif
: The second photo of the dam (from the rear) looks more like a Silver Red Dun, with some roaning going on as well..... or some strange combination with Dun. That looks like a definite dorsal on the filly and the mare. And the mares lower legs (in the 2nd shot) is showing shades of gray that would be typical with the Silver gene.

Not sure what color genes the mare has ....but I don't think she's a straight "Palomino". (but, could be carrying the creme gene along with whatever else she has going on.) :eek:

Here are the two pictures of Lacey I was sent before I got her and before she was clippped. You could definately see her dorsal stripe before she was clipped also. :bgrin

100_0174_0001.jpg

100_0173_0002.jpg

From the second picture the filly is Bay base- probably Bay Dun.

I see no Cream but if you are interested you can always test for it.

Latest posts

Back