Calling All Aussie Owners

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniaturePrincess429

Reaction score
I've decided Im purchasing my first dog on my own, and really want an Aussie. I know they are a very demanding, active, and intelligent breed, but that is honestly what I want. I've done my research, and I'm pretty aware of the costs of owning a puppy, Im in contact with a Breeder and plan on going down to their place over my college winter break to meet with them and meet the parents. Im not concerned about color or sex I just want the right Aussie for me.

So I'd love to hear from you Aussie owners, the good, bad and ugly. Pictures, stories, etc are more than welcome. Also if any of you have any breeders you think i should get in touch with; I live in Maine, so New England is kinda my prefrence.

Thanks guys

I lost my Aussie Fall 2009, I loved her, best dog ever. High energy, but so smart and mine was so sweet. I miss her terribly, and will have another Aussie someday, currently have a blue heeler cross, she's a nice dog, but not Aussie.

When I got mine many years ago the advice I got was to get a pup from a show dog instead of a working dog. This was AFTER I got my pup. The show dog pups may be more laid back than the more intense pups from working dogs.

She was a fine dog; we lost her at 11 years. I love my lap dog rat terrier, but an aussie is hard to beat.

badger.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Aussies are wonderful dogs, in the right situation. They are high energy and need a job to do. Not a dog to leave at home all day if the owners work. The become bored easily and can be destructive. They really should have a good course of obedience training with the owner. Wonderful dogs to work in agility. They don't tire easily. Lots of grooming of course and not a dog to have if you don't like hair.

I'm definitely not a fan of the new (fad) mini Aussies. Many have been bred down from being mixed with several other breeds, so at the moment, they don't breed true as a group. Their types are all over the place.

When you decide upon a pup, make absolutely sure that both parents have been tested and passed with flying colours, for Hip Displasia and their eyes checked. (Both via the OFA) Some lines are also prone to epilepsy.

Lizzie

I can say as a respected Miniature Aussie breeder here in the Houston Texas area they are a wonderful breed. We have been raising mini aussies for over 5 years and have sent pups all over the US... Honest and repectable breeders of miniature australian shepherds would never compromise the breed by crossing another breed of dog into their program nor would they ever choose size over conformation and disposition. Our dogs are best described as knee high and weighing- 16-25 pounds they still have the original aussie look and never the yappy personality sometimes found int he smaller size dogs. Our dogs also have extensive pedigrees with bloodlines tracing back to AKC dogs.... I grew up with aussies and found them to be extremely intelligent- loyal and the perfect family dog- the only complaint i ever have is the fact they shed horribly but most dogs shed so this isnt a big issue..

I was somewhat shocked to see a statement about the mini aussie breed as a whole not breeding true and being portrayed as negative breed= this is a very false statment made by someone who has not done their research... I agree there are bad breeders in the breed just as there is in the horse industry but please dont group every breeder into this statement.. My dogs are well balanced- nice heads and body structure- I DO NOT breed the toy size-- i think they loose the aussie look and I am just not a fan of this size- but i have seen some very nice toy size aussies But this size is not what i prefer.... My dogs are true mini aussies-- same as the big ones just in a smaller package...they are just as content to lay around all day as they are to work

I am told once you own an aussie you will never want to own another breed--- they are THE PERFECT FAMILY DOG.......

GEDC0723.JPG

I did the same thing as you almost two years ago.... I asked on here what people thought of the mini aussies. It was all favorable since you realize they need to run and chase balls and play. I did get one. And he has been the best dog that either my husband or I have ever had. She is fantastic and smart. You do have to put time into her training and I do recommend crate training. Or they get themselves into trouble. They need to be doing something! Like a baby.

I actually am thinking of getting another one someday.

I lost my heart-dog aussie at the age of 11, three years ago. I wrote her obituary here on the back porch the day she died, June 12, 2008. I can honestly say I still think of her every day. I don't know why everyone doesn't have an aussie, they are such good dogs. Mine was a bit of an anomaly because she was quite mellow and didn't require a ton of exercise to keep her happy. She's was also not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but she was the most kind and sweet dog you would ever want to know. She loved everyone (human or animal and even reptiles) she ever met and never hurt a one. She did, however, irritate the cats to death by holding them down and licking them. I quit defending them because they knew that would happen if they got too close to her (she never sought them out for this) so I figured if they were dumb enough to walk right by her, then they could suffer the tongue bath she would give them.
default_smile.png

I am incredibly torn about wanting another aussie in my life. There is no way another dog could compare to her, but maybe my heart would have enough room for another one, but I'm still not sure. We have her companion still here, a 15 year old golden retriever/border collie mix, and we won't even consider adding another dog until she's gone to her great reward. Sometimes I think I'd like another herding dog, like a corgi, but then I wonder if I would spend too much time comparing it to the awesome qualities of an aussie.

I don't think you can go wrong with an aussie. Of course pictures and stories are required when you get yours!

~jayne

Sorry Bev66, but if you know the history of the breed, you will know that the early miniature Aussies, came about by breeding true Aussies to Shetland Sheepdogs and a couple of other iffy crosses. Before the advent of DNA, many of the early crosses were registered with the AKC as purebred.

Actually, on our dog forums, the mini Aussies have been discussed a lot, and for many years now. I suspect if you read the Gazette, you will know of the recent poll between the Australia Shepherd people and those who are fanciers of the minis. The Australian Shepherd people wanted the minis taken from their stud book, since they do not meet the Standard in many ways (height, coat type, prick ears etc). Here's a little of what was discussed.

The AKC Board of Directors has approved the request submitted by the United States

Australian Shepherd Association to open the stud book of the AKC Australian Shepherd

to voluntarily re-home dogs to create a new breed to be known as the Miniature

American Shepherd.

The AKC Board additionally approved the designation of the club formerly known as the

North American Miniature Australian Shepherd Club of the United States of America

(NAMASCUSA), to be the Parent Club for the Miniature American Shepherd. The name

of the designated club will be changed to the Miniature American Shepherd Club of the

United States of America, (MASCUSA). Dogs currently registered with the Parent Club

and other registries as specified by the Parent Club will also be eligible for enrollment in

the AKC Foundation Stock Service.

I believe it was early this year sometime, that MASCUSA was selected to be the parent club of the Miniature American Shepherd.

As you can imagine, this has caused untold concern within the dog fancy as a whole. Personally, I would like to see the minis as a separate breed. I have trained one Australian Shepherd and shown a few for others, although have never owned one myself. I have no quarrel with those who like the minis, but really do think they should be separated from the Australian Shepherds.

Lizzie

I am incredibly torn about wanting another aussie in my life. There is no way another dog could compare to her, but maybe my heart would have enough room for another one, but I'm still not sure. Sometimes I think I'd like another herding dog, like a corgi, but then I wonder if I would spend too much time comparing it to the awesome qualities of an aussie.

~jayne
Me, too! I know I want another Aussie, someday, but I know they will all be compared to my precious Bridgette, who was definitely one in a million. She was a black-tri, and when (definitely when, not if) I get another Aussie, I think I'll try a different color and see if it helps reduce the comparisons. I have a blue heeler cross now, and while she's a nice dog and starting to understand what a cow dog should do on a cattle ranch, she is no Aussie. [bridgette was a town dog, so didn't get cows when I married a rancher and moved to country, but she was my constant companion and shadow for barn chores.]

When I got mine many years ago the advice I got was to get a pup from a show dog instead of a working dog. This was AFTER I got my pup. The show dog pups may be more laid back than the more intense pups from working dogs.

She was a fine dog; we lost her at 11 years. I love my lap dog rat terrier, but an aussie is hard to beat.

badger.jpg
My Aussie was also a black-tri, just lovely. I was lucky, I had Bridgette for 13.5 years; I feel fortunate and blessed to have had her that long. She was something else.

Bridgette.jpg [i crashed my computer,yesterday, so all I can find right now is this puppy pic. I hope I have her pics on disk somewhere, cause they obviously weren't on the thumb drive.]

Ok, so her pics are someplace weird on the computer, now, I couldn't find them in documents, but did a search and came up with some of them. Wonder what file they are hiding in. Anyway, here is a cute pic of Bridgette, showing how tolerant she was.

bridgette and sami - dec 10 2005 - cap 1.jpg

Well my husband Mel owned, bred and trained Aussies for over 20-years and he has a wealth of knowledge, plus having an excellent eye for the correct dog. We still have an older bitch, Ami who had lots of puppies for him.

Pick a puppy who will come to you and is not shy with other pups and you. One who is very happy. A short blocky head, with ears that fold down just a little. One that is preportionate to body size and conformation. Blue eyes are fine and they can see just as well with the blue eyes as dark eyes. Don't get a puppy that has white around it's eye/eyes or ear/ears. This would indicate being blind and/or deaf...If you want a black tri pick one that has lots of copper points and A full collar is nice, but not necessary at all.

If you want a future breeding dog, make sure of the points above. Check sire and dam for conformation and looks. Make sure the have been tested negative for an eye disease and hip dyspasia. Ask also if they have had any puppies with seizures as we have had and seen a lot of dogs who will develop seizures as they get older. Mel found out too late that his best breeding male produced a few pups with seizures and believe you me it's NOT a pretety site to see. His son Kirk has a stunning male who developed them at 2-years-old and he is on seizure meds and phenabarbital<sp>...the older he gets the more he has them, he is starting to run into things and is generally slow...might be also because of the meds, But on the whole he is a happy and well behaved dog
default_yes.gif
....also check for missing or no teeth between the front teeth and the back teeth, this also is heritary. Also check the pedigree closely..many, well most dogs are in-bred and the more of this there is in the pups pedigree closer, the more likely they are to have the heritary problems above.

You are picking a very excellent and wonderful breed and we highly recommend them. We will getting a mini Aussie female in a few years when Mel's son Kirk has puppies from his mini Aussie female...so it will be fun to have a little young one around again!

Good luck and if you want anymore info please call us
default_saludando.gif

Blessings on finding the right puppy for YOU
default_yes.gif

Jenny

[if you want a black tri pick one that has lots of copper points and A full collar is nice, but not necessary at all.

Blessings on finding the right puppy for YOU
default_yes.gif

Jenny[/size]
All great information, thanks for sharing.

My Bridgette had almost a full collar and lots of pretty copper points. I'll see if I can find a good picture on the computer...

bridgette smile.jpg

Not as nice as I would like to share, but all I could find (lucky to have it after the crash this week).

I love aussies, they are the only dogs I have grown up with. My current one I have is not social at all. He is fine with my mom thats about it. Does not get along with my dad. So my advice do as much socializing as you can. I think that is one of the disadvantages with aussies is trust with other people.

I love mini aussies, I think at Nationals this year almost everyone had a mini aussie, don't know why but my gosh they were everywhere. I want to get a female as a playmate for my lil long haired chihuahua male, he loves the females, guess thats why his name is Romeo and my other aussie is just too big to play with. This time I'm going to start training early and lots of socializing. I have no problems with the looks of most mini aussies, its the toy aussies that I don't care for. I may have seen a few that looked real nice but most I would not want.

Latest posts

Back