C-section question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

appymini

Reaction score
Northern Ontario Country( where it is winter 11mon
I am looking into buying a mare I found out had a C-sction. I also found no record for foals in the AMHA stud book. This mare has great comfomation and personlity. Was shown and did well. And has the color and pedigree that I am ever so interested in
wub.gif
But with not a good breeding record. She is 10 yrs old. Should I or shouldn`t I. Normally I would walk away. But this mare is something I have dreamed about .So I would like someones thoughts on this and if anyone rebred a mare after a c-section? Thanks, HAPPY NEW YEAR

I have a mare that had a c-section for her first foal and has had 4 more since then. I also know of several other mares that have had c-sections that have continued to go on and produce with no problems. The fact that this particular mare you are interested in hasn't had any live foals, the price would have to be good enough for me to take a chance on her.

edited for spelling

Last edited by a moderator:
Also depends on whether you are interested in her for breeding or showing...you didn't say.
smile.gif

The fact of her age & no foals worries me more than the c-section. At that age without agressive help-testing, sonograms, hormone therapy, cultures, flushings (even that might not work) you probably wont be getting a foal from her. So if it were me, I wouldnt pay more than what a non breeding horse is worth. Now if you want to show her & not breed her, she would be worth a lot more as a horse to have a good time with in the ring & one to enjoy in the backyard. but if you are buying her to take a chance on for breeding only, I would only pay pet price for her because she may be only turn out than a loving pet( nothing wrong with this, if you go into it knowing you are buying a pet). Years ago I took a chance much like this on two mares, paid high dollar than normal for them because they were direct daughters of one of the top stallions in the country. However they were older & never foaled in the past & I was only able to get one in foal with alot of expensive testing & then she would not carry to term. After the second abortion, I pulled their papers & sold them both to a loving pet home where they would no longer be bred.

I have to add I did buy 2 mares in the past. One gave me a lovely foal in 2005 and the other never. And she was placed in a home. Both mares where 13 yrs old and never foaled. I would use her for breeding and displaying the Falaballa breed at the fairs and such. She is pure falabella. Which is what I am breeding. So I am not sure what a pet price would be for me offer.

If you don't mind the fact that she may not give you any foals & you will be

satisfied with her strictly as a family pet or show horse then buy her.........

The C sections & no history of foals would steer me away from her as a breeding mare. I would keep looking for a mare with a good foaling history if breeding is your ultimate goal......... Also consider if you are lucky enough to get a foal & it is a C section, this will cost money & something you will need to plan for financially.........To me a mare with this history should be extremely cheap & if that is the case might be worth the risk..... Again foaling problem costs need to be considered.

I personally would not buy a mare that had a C-Section UNLESS I could get a written iron-clad guarantee that the mare could carry a viable foal to term successfully. I've just heard too many horror stories.

But I would note that a friend of mine bought the dam to my classic strawberry roan mare, Fever, and that mare had history of C-Section for her last foaling. She gave my friend a lovely filly this year without any problems. So it can work out nicely if you are willing to take the chance.

I'm such a 'newbie' to all this, won't pretend I'm not, but from what I've heard

about mares with a history of c-sections and no foals, I think that if you REALLY want this mare (I know the feeling- had to pass a few heart-throbbers before I found my little mare) you should get her as a pet only if she is offered at a reasonable price. I you don't want a pet-only-horse and you take the risk of breeding her, she could have problems (dead foal, another c-section,expencive vet bills,ect.) or she could deliver a healthy, beautiful little foal normally. In the end it's really all up to God, and I would just pray alot about it and go with what you feel is right.

Personally, I would NOT buy her. Even if you decided you didn't want to breed her-- Murphy's law-- the stallion or her will go through a fence-- C's are very expensive & depending on how far you would have to transport her for the operation she might not even make it.

If you just want her to demonstrate the falabella look-- try to find a gelding. Even extremely cheap would not convince me to buy her

If she had a C section and hasn't had a foal since I consider that a big risk if you want her for breeding. If the price was right I may risk it particularly for a pure Falabella mare. Must remember too though that if this mare has other problems in the foaling department that could be genetic and be passed on. I'd consider the mare poor in terms of breeding soundness from what you've said about her. We breed for soundess as well as conformationally and I'd consider this mare a risk.

Tammie

I have bought several mares that had had c-sections because people were afraid of them. Without exception, every one of them has had foal(s) naturally since then. They can be a good buy.

Latest posts

Back