Bumper or Control Bars

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowgurl_up

Reaction score
I have been having some problems with my stallion in halter. He is perfect at home, but just pushy and nippy at shows! We did jumping last year and he was much better behaved so I'm thinking it is either a bordum thing or maybe he has just figured out he could get away with it? I asked on here awhile ago for suggestions and a bumper bar was suggested. I ordered one as I figure I will try him in halter one more year. I will not force him to do something he doesn't like, but I want to make sure it is not a behavior issue first.
default_rolleyes.gif

I have never used a bumper bar before and have really never seen them used. Will someone please tell me how this works and if anyone has a picture of their horse wearing one so I can get an idea it would be much appriciated!

Thanks!!!!

Here is a photo of Esprit wearing one. I like them better than chains, actually. They do nothing at all unless you activate it, whereas the way chains are used with show halters they don't ever loosen up. You will see that it has a curve in it, and the loop at the bottom should curve AWAY from your horse's jaw. If he is getting silly just give him a little "bump" to get his attention. Just don't be too harsh with it, remember you are bumping against bone with a light covering of skin. I think it allows you to be a lot more subtle, myself. Just make sure that you practice with it at home first, don't want him to have a big surprise in the show ring the first time.

liz2.jpg

I just make a bumper out of a chain. I run it through the halter normally but when I go to snap the two ends to the buckle or snap of a leadrope I tuck the part of the chain that is tight around the chin into the buckle or snap of the lead rope. I can try and get pictures if you want.

Ive always had great sucess with regular bumpers and chain ones. Like was said earlier, the only activate unless you want them too.

Ditto. But the also put pressure on the poll instead of around the muzzle, which I've found gives me a better response as well.

Thanks very much!!!! That makes a ton of sense with how they work. So instead of putting pressure under the chin like a chain it will put pressure on the nose and poll right? I will make sure I practice at home! Thanks ClickMini for the picture! And now I know which direction to put it on!

You guys are great! Thanks!

Back