Building a tack locker for harnesses and supplies

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have whip holders made from wide PVC pipe attached just inside the tack room door. I can snag one as I'm going out to ground drive if I forget to get one out earlier. I keep my holly whips in the house though.

We store our harnesses in gym bags and plastic boxes on shelves along one side of the tack room. They have labels on the side so we grab the right one. Under the shelves we have plastic drawer units that hold blankets, sheets, etc.

We have plastic drawer units for vet supplies and clipping products on one side wall. Right now I have two tack trunks stacked in the middle of the tack room with extra stuff on top of them. Time to reorganize!

I found that shopping bags for frozen items are about the right size for a full collar with the hames on, and they're padded too.

Target has plastic storage boxes with foam around the top edge so they lock air out. Better for brass fittings.

I have whip holders made from wide PVC pipe attached just inside the tack room door. I can snag one as I'm going out to ground drive if I forget to get one out earlier. I keep my holly whips in the house though.

We store our harnesses in gym bags and plastic boxes on shelves along one side of the tack room. They have labels on the side so we grab the right one. Under the shelves we have plastic drawer units that hold blankets, sheets, etc.

We have plastic drawer units for vet supplies and clipping products on one side wall. Right now I have two tack trunks stacked in the middle of the tack room with extra stuff on top of them. Time to reorganize!

I found that shopping bags for frozen items are about the right size for a full collar with the hames on, and they're padded too.

Target has plastic storage boxes with foam around the top edge so they lock air out. Better for brass fittings.
Pictures! would be lovely. I'm getting ready to set up a harness/tack room in the extra "stall" in our shed row barn. None of the "stalls" are used as stalls for the ponies.

I will take pics of all the "stuff" currently stuffed into the stall and then as I go along to set it up (have lots of "stuff" still in our shop - due to our oldest daughter/SIL/Gdaughters moving back in with us for a while, need to clear room for them to store items. Looking at doing some type of "tiny house" for them on our property for a while - hopefully one they can move when they find prop of their own. Had a feeling this would happen when we got more land/larger house, sigh. But we make it work. May portion off part of our property for them - still looking at options).

The "tack room" is not completely enclosed (openings at the top since it's between the other two stalls). It's the only one with a dutch door, though for me these days ducking under the top is difficult. It has a light that once is turned on at main switch (in other "stall" - where feed is stored) can be turned off/on by a cord. The small square bales of hay are stored in stall on the end. Not sure what this shed row was originally built for - each of the 3 is completely different sizes (same depth from front to back) - 1 was never meant to be used as a horse stall and may have originally been set up for tack/feed since it's where all the light switches and plug in(s) are. It's only about 4' wide (will measure).

I don't have a full front pic of the "barn" - just two pics that show the ends ...

This end shows the door that opens into the hay storage. It's about 8' wide (can get 2 48" pallets laid down next to each other). Right above the pony's ear is part of the dutch doors showing - that's currently storage for our harness that isn't put up properly yet...

15feb19house0106.jpg

This pic shows the other end - with the "feed room" door open and partially blocking the double dutch doors. The feed room is about 4' wide (I think?), but will measure it, too.

15oct18house175605.jpg

Latest posts

Back