Breeding Solids

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just_Rena

Reaction score
Will a solid (no white markings) colored stud bred to a solid colored mare, have a chance of any markings (blaze, socks, anything)?
default_blush.png
Thanks

The way I understand it, ANY white on a horse is a type of pinto marking. An actual solid horse is rare (at least to me LOL)

A horse might look solid but have a white spot on his/her "parts", inside a mouth, a few white hairs on their coronet band etc.

So maybe........?
default_smile.png
Depends on their genetics. I'm no help! LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no pintos in my herd (not a fan of white markings). All are either solid or roan. However pending on the background if it pops up or not. I own 8 minis, all solids BUT 4 are roaned and 1 of the roans as a teeny tiny few hairs on her forhead and a solid mare has a very tiny coronet band on a rear foot. Otherwise totally no white here.

I do have a solid buckskin mare with pinto on her sires side, but never threw me any white markings. And a few others with white markings on g-parents and so on, but again never had a foal born here with white anywhere.

So it depends. Ya never know, maybe on day a foal will be born with chrome here!
default_smile.png

Define "solid"!!

I had a mare with just a white star on her forehead, bred to my Rabbit (Red Dun with Flaxen but visually solid) she threw a full sorrel Pinto- and I threw a fit!! Secretary of the SPSBS calmed me down on the phone (he was a great old gentleman) and explained that the forehead star was quite enough, and no outlaw stallion had crawled under the fence in the night|! He forgot more about pattern than I am ever likely to learn, but he spurred my interest and got me started. That was 30 years ago, so what he was telling me was pretty revolutionary. So, as has been said, it is virtually impossible to get a true "solid" animal, and, especially where Rowdy lines are involved, I would test everything being bred for LWO as his lines in particular tend to throw up "solids" that carry LWO, with NO visual white at all. IT is all very interesting, I have learned to take what I am given, these days!

As someone TRYING to breed for pinto, I know you can breed two pintos together that each carry at least 2 pinto patterns, and end up with a solid with absolutely no white anywhere. I would say though, that your chance of getting white markings from breeding two solids WITH NO WHITE HAIRS ANYWHERE is slim. But not none, And even testing may not give you an answer as we are pretty sure that the test for 3 types of splash misses one type that produces blue eyes.

Now, if you are talking Rowdy bloodlines, your chances just increased. I once met a very wild colored foal (splash) from two "solids", but they did have some white markings and Rowdy blood. Unlike Jane (above) the owners were not all that surprised.

I have seen many times when someone breeds two "solids" with just a snip or star and nothing else and get some very "LOUD" splash foals. My grandparents used to own a mare that was solid with just a little bit of white around the coronet band of one hind leg that was actually tobiano. Bred to a true solid chestnut (all Kahoka) she produced two 50/50 pinto foals. Was a surprise! Technically they just appear solid, but are very minimal pintos themselves, thus able to produce the more visually apparent pinto foals.

I have a stallion with zero face white that produces a lot of face white on all of his foals. So to the OP-yes, I would think it's very possible that you could get some face white
default_smile.png
It's those splash and sabino genes that like to "hide".

My stud is a solid Palomino, and the mare I am wondering about is a black varnish app. Neither one has any markings on their head or feet. Thanks Guys

Im wanting to breed pinto, out of 4 mares 3 are pinto. That being said my stud (Palomino) has a wonderful attiude and great conformation, love color but wont give up quality. My app mare is my heart mini horse, onery sometimes sweet as sugar sometimes.

If any of your mares is homozygous for pinto (you can test for that) then you will always get pinto when bred to your palomino stud - or any stud for that matter. Now, just because the foal is genetically a pinto, it might not LOOK like one. Of course a horse can only be homozygous for pinto if booth parents were pinto (and same pattern) and again, they can be pinto genetically without looking like pintos. Complicated, but testing would help.

If any of your mares is homozygous for pinto (you can test for that) then you will always get pinto when bred to your palomino stud - or any stud for that matter. Now, just because the foal is genetically a pinto, it might not LOOK like one. Of course a horse can only be homozygous for pinto if booth parents were pinto (and same pattern) and again, they can be pinto genetically without looking like pintos. Complicated, but testing would help.
default_worshippy.gif

One of my mare might be homozygous, I got her this summer. Thanks for the tip.

Well, depending on what she looks like and the appy genes she's inherited, you might have OTHER surprises!!!

What are the registered names of the horses? It might be interesting to "see" what might be hiding out in the pedigree, to see what the possibilities of "hidden" genes could be. I'd love to look them up and see!
Nakar Caspers Bandito - stud I know he has a silver gene

Beeline Annie Fannie - mare I know she is a appaloosa

Annie and Bandits foal this year is a silver black appaloosa, he has white spots on his butt.
default_cheeky-smiley-006.gif

She is just a goldmine for appaloosa! Many times these "solid" appaloosas are the ones that throw the most GORGEOUS spotted babies!!! That's why so many of us appaloosa breeders have the "solid" appaloosa mares -- they generally throw just beautifully! It's just hard to explain to some people that "solid" appaloosas are the type of mares you like to see in a herd for breeding. They don't have to HAVE spots to THROW spots!

From her pedigree I see she's produced 2 appaloosa babies -- the one you got this year, and a black appaloosa in 2006! Fantastic!!

I would be expecting another "spotted" patterned baby!! I just can't wait!!!
Thanks

Latest posts

Back