Breeding Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonny

past member - Someone just shoot me!
Reaction score
If they are having a false heat will they breed?( Non Preg)

Can they have a false heat during pregnancy?

Will they breed during pegnancy?

And will they breed during a false heat during pregnancy?

I've never heard of a mare having a false heat like in dogs. But they can and will breed if pregnant, with some mares.

I have never heard of a false heat in a non pregnant mare. I have had mares show to a stallion while they were pregnant and yes they have actually accepted a stallion while they were pregnant. Mares will have non ovulatory heats. These will usually happen during the transition period between anestrous and estrous.

There is no "false" heat.. she's either in heat or she's not. "Heat" by definition is receptitivity to being bred.

She can be in heat, or passively receptive, if she's not building a follicle, as long as she has no progesterone in her system. This is common during spring and fall transition, where lots of follicles are built but none ovulate.

It is possible for a pregnant mare to show heat during pregnancy. It is also possible that she'll allow breeding during pregnancy. Both are extremely bad. Showing heat during pregnancy lends doubt to the idea that she's safely in foal, and being covered while pregnant tends to abort the foal.

I was under the impression that they will not breed if pregnant. And that they wouldnt come into heat . So now I am very confused about this whole breeding issue.

Yes they will show heat signs, but not truely be in heat. This is a hormonal issue. And if your mare shows these types of signs you should have her checked for hormonal levels. Some of these types of mares tend toward having early term and late term abortions.

Some mares are truely passive and will allow a stallion to mount and penatrate. As stated above, this is not good for the mare that is in foal. If you have any question as to whether your mare settled, have her checked before allowing your stallion to breed her.

Well here is the whole issue. When I got her in Dec. I was told she was most likely in foal. Then I watched her get wider and wider. We did a wee foal test and it was neg. So we assumed that she was getting healthy. She was thin to start with. Well yesterday I took pics and this is what I saw:

newtats026.jpg

So now I am wondering is she after all?

The stallion my friend owns is at my house and she has allowed mating. But she didnt at first, she fought him.

I was told she wouldnt allow breeding if she was pg. ASo I figured she wasnt. Then I uploaded this pic from yesterday and realized how wide she is. Now I am worried. The vets around here dont US.

I'm gonna say she's bred- look how lopsided she is!

He may be too strong and aggressive and she just gives up and submits. For her sake, separate them!

Lucy

She looks it to me also she has grown so much but her wee foal came out neg and that was 3 weeks ago!

If she is far enough along to show like this why didnt the test pic it up?

Her in dec:

minihorse027-1.jpg

I just dont know what to think.
default_no.gif

OK, you need to keep her seperate from your stallion. When was she bred, when is her due date?

OK, you need to keep her seperate from your stallion. When was she bred, when is her due date?
I dont know any of the answers to those questions. I bought her in December after Christmas. I bought her from a woman who was downsizing her herd due to illness. She said she was with a stallion for 6-8 months but didnt know 'for sure' if they bred. She wasnt very responsible.

So when I got her home she was thin. Very thin. So we started feeding her good food and right away she started putting on weight. She also started getting wider. But not lower underneath. So I started measuring her Jan she was 46 inches around today she is 50.

I tested her 3 weeks ago for pregnancy. The test was neg. But still she keeps getting wider. I have wormed her. I just dont understand. If she isnt pg what is it? And if she is why did the test show neg? Maybe its a false preg?

How are you testing her? I would have her palpated and while she is at the vets have him do a fecal check. If she was in that bad of condition one worming is probably not enough. He can also give you a rough estimate of what size fetus he feels if any. I would guess she is by the lopsided belly.

I used wee foal test.

The vet was going to charge 150 for a blood test and they dont US or palpate minis. They Blood test only.
default_no.gif

I am waiting for another wee foal test. Until then I will separate them. I just dont know what to think of her.

How could that test be wrong?

Girl, you are going through heck with this, arent you? Try another weefoal. I did the weefoal on my mare at 104 days! If you wormed her back in December, you should do that again too. She sure looks pregnant. Keep in touch, ok?

Joyce

well it used to be that way with the human kind of preg. test. I bet there are alot of women that asked that same question.......

Why don't you call some other vets in the area? Ask some other mini owners that are close to you. I sure would want to know. Maybe you could justify the charges of the blood work if you had them do a complete work up, CBC, etc. at the same time. These little guys that are undernurished can develope all kinds of problems.

Good Luck to you and your little miss.

Thanks y'all for all your help. I have called several vets in our area before I found that one. So many dont do minis. They are the only ones in a 50mile radius that even see minis. All the mini people I know use them or go way downtown. I will have to wait and test again and see what it says. Ifits still neg I will take her in then.

She acts perfectly normal, eats well and I will deworm again. I will have to use a preg safe dewormer again as I still dont know.

This has been crazy alright!
default_wacko.png

My poor Bonny.
default_no.gif

I half wonder if she just isnt filling up on hay and its causing some distention in her belly, she seems thinner again this am. I dont know about this mare. I am going to worm her again this am.

Please remember that foals will shift around during pregnancy. My mares can be wide as boats one day and then I'll go out the next day and they appear thinner. Its just the foal moving around.

Back