Breeding Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an Appy/QH mare that was "in love" with a particular stud at the barn we boarded at. We bred her to him. the next month they took her to the stud again. She acted like she was in heat and they bred her again. They did this for 4 months. They said the 4th month if she didn't settle they weren't going to breed her again. A week later a vet was out for another horse so we had her preg checked. The vet asked why we thought she wasn't preg an we told him she bred last week. He said she took with the first breeding. We got a filly that was just as dumb as her mom.

Yuppers!! That did help though!!! Ok so we did notice that when she isnt as wide she seems lower (sort of) and when she is wide she seems less low.
default_wacko.png

How is that for grammer!!! :DOH!

She's adorable, and reminds me of one of my girls... including the lopsided belly... mine is due end of April ;)

Jessi

I have another wee foal on the way, it was sent out today. Hopefully with this test my answer will be definitive. I would imagine by now she should be far enough along to get a true result if she is in fact preggers.

So If its neg again I just have to assume she isnt preggers, agree? I have had her 8 weeks today.
default_biggrin.png

Dec, 28th 07 when I brought her home:

minihorse026.jpg

Feb 13,08

newtats026.jpg

Back to your question about breeding while pregnant. I once had a mini mare who would breed repeatedly all throughout the spring and summer. Of course this stopped during winter. I was pasture breeding at the time, so I allowed it...figuring she was not "taking" each time. But every spring...she would foal out a beautiful baby from the first spring breeding!

Breeding while pregnant never seemed to hurt her.

Think about it.....does "breeding" while pregnant hurt humans?
default_wink.png

That being said....in my experience most mares who allow breeding while pregnant, do it during the 1st and maybe 2nd trimester. They don't usually allow it when they are heavy in foal. And that is because it is usually in the dead of winter during their last trimester around here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only "lopsided" I see in that photo is the sort that you get when the horse stands with one hind leg cocked or well forward--that does not look like the "in foal" for of lopsided--which I describe as the shape of an egg lying on its side.

I'd point out that this mare looks to be very narrow in the chest, and that being the case her belly will look bigger side to side as she puts on weight.

She may be in foal, but I would never look at that picture and say 'oh yes for sure she is in foal'. I'd be inclined to believe the wee foal test.

They advertise no false positives from that test, but they don't mention false negatives?

I have been in contact with a rep from wee foal. She suggested that it may have been to early, before the recommended 120 days, that we took the test. As she was 'left' out with the stallion we dont know for sure about her dates if any.

I have had her 8 weeks so she could be as little as 8 or as much as 4 months. If in fact the test was correct, which I also believe, but could have taken to early.

Her belly has been lopsided sense she started this belly thing 8 weeks ago. I have pics of other angles to show that. She is pretty narrow in the chest but not as bad as that pic looks. Also she wasnt resting a leg.

I have to wonder if she isnt preg that she is having a false pregnancy.

shybon012.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Think about it.....does "breeding" while pregnant hurt humans?
default_wink.png
Think about it... does your husband ejaculate at 35mph like a stallion can?
default_smile.png
A stallion is so forceful with his ejaculation that it has the potential of penitrating a closed cervix, especially if there is any comprimization. Its a risk that I highly advise against taking!

I didnt know stallions could do that.

I fed Bonny I dewormed her again. I am not sure where to place my hands but from what I have read on here I put my hands in front of her udder. There is a flabby type spot in front of her udder I placed it in front of that. I fed her and kept waiting but felt nothing. I am not sure if I was in the right spot to feel anything or if she is even far enough to feel anything. If there is anything to feel.

I got the second we foal test in. I am waiting on the wee.I will let everyone know what it is. Thanks again for all y'alls help!

Bonny tested positive this time around:

Bonnytestpositive006.jpg

Any help for a newbie and any suggestions on when she may be due? 1 month ago she tested neg. Today she tested positive. So I am guessing around the 4 month mark?

Thankies, I wish I knew for sure WHEN!!!

I am still in shock. I need to put her on a higher protein feed for preggers mares. I am thinking Prime 14 or SafeChoice.

Not yet! You don't need extra nutrition until the last trimester of the pregnancy. That's when most of the growth takes place which sucks a mare dry. Right now she just needs quality feed that has all the vitamins and minerals she needs. Add the extra protien later, or if you see her start to loose condition.

Actually she is only on a 10% protein. I am slowly going to switch her over to Safe Choice (14%) and it is good for all life stages. Not only that but remember we dont know exactly how far along she is. And the extra protein wont hurt her, its not that high. With her already thin condition and her needs I think it will be fine.

Latest posts

Back