Breeding question- Having some trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody7489

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a mare that has always been a consistent producer. She is 8 years old now and has been bred several times this year by 2 different stallions, always coming in heat right on time, but isn't settling as she keeps coming back in heat. Her last foal was in '06 and she resettled for '07 but lost her foal due to a stallion running her making her lose her foal at an early stage. She has had a year off since then. Any ideas as what I should do? Thanks in advance!!
default_saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
have you tried giving her smz's for a week before breeding her?? Or you could have the vet come flush her before breeding to be sure theres no infection lingering in there

Discuss it with your vet, but I would likely do as Kay suggested as in putting her on SMZ's for 10 days and I would also have her flushed and infused before breeding. Good luck!

I don't feel that SMZ's will do enough to make them worthwhile. I'd consult a vet, have an ultrasound done before and after breeding (to search for fluid), and to minimize the number of covers you do. That will help keep things cleaner and easier for the uterous to handle. A flush pre or post breeding may be indicated based on what the vet sees. If there is an infection there SMZs will not help, an infusion/flush is what you would need in that situation. There are so many potential problems with difficult mares, there is no way to diagnose anything based on the evidence you've gathered so far.

If an ultrasound is done and she is open, I am sure your vet will do a culture on her to detect any underlying infections. Then, pending on the results, go from there with antibiotics and a flush like Nathan said.

My biggest fear would be to put her on an antibiotic that is not strong enough to do alot of good, have her get in foal and miscarry again or worse yet, carry to term and have a foal born septic or with joint ill.

Carolyn

An ultrasound is an excellent idea.

There is a product called "Settle" that you might want to talk with your veterinarian about. It might help your mare.

Good luck.

Our mare was ultrasounded, cultured, biopsied, and then a three day flush for the bacteria that was found. We limited her exposure to the stud. Also, gave a shot 12 hours after the last breeding- can't remember what it was- I think to contract the uterus? Anyway, she settled on the first cycle after the flushings and we hope to have a foal come April or so! It has a strong heartbeat, at this point! We did not use oral antibiotics- the vet here said they would not be helpful for an infection in the uterus. Contact a vet and I am sure they can give you good advice.

Good luck-

Peggy

Latest posts

Back