Breeding problems with stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

auledasacres

Reaction score
Our 16 year old stallion has been acting terrible. He was given 2 mares end of April. He bred the one 2 months in a row. Bred the other one time in April. I removed her about 2 weeks ago. The one he bred in April is now showing all the signs of heat but when I take her in with him, he gets all excited like he is going to breed her, sniffs her, smiles and walks away putting all his parts away.

I

know our other stallion would breed her but I wanted her in foal by this stallion.

The stallion has been crazy this year. Biting any horse that gets near his mares or his pen.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Traci and FAmily

It sounds like you have a very experienced stallion since he is 16 and know what pasture breeding is. Many times a mare will show signs of heat, but will still be pregnant. The funny thing is that many stallions know when a mare is having a false heat cycle and will not breed a mare that is already pregnant by him. Get your mare preg checked to know for sure. I honestly think this stallion knows that she is in foal from his earlier breeding.

You need to trust your stallion! that guy is worth his weight in gold! He knows sh is not really in a true heat.

Take his word for it, trust him, and don't let the other stallion breed her, she is probably already bred, or not fertile.

Congratulations on having a stallion that knows his stuff!

Bonnie

I am thinking I know what the problem is. Last year he pasture bred 3 mares. All had foals this year. This year he doesn't seem to like the pasture breeding. I pulled the one mare left with him this morning and put the mare I was trying to breed in a stall. I just took her out there and he bred her very nicely.

The people we bought him from a few years ago always hand bred. Maybe this is what he prefers and last year was just plain hormones in overdrive. He bred 2 mares the year before(2004) by hand breeding. Before that he went 3-4 years not being able to breed at all as his owners decided to stop breeding.

Thanks for your help. He just had me so puzzled.

Traci and Family

It sounds like you have a very experienced stallion since he is 16 and know what pasture breeding is. Many times a mare will show signs of heat, but will still be pregnant. The funny thing is that many stallions know when a mare is having a false heat cycle and will not breed a mare that is already pregnant by him. Get your mare preg checked to know for sure. I honestly think this stallion knows that she is in foal from his earlier breeding.
I agree with the above. I would get her check, you don't want to abort this baby if she is in foal.

We had a mare last year. Bred her once. She was in heat on and off through Nov. And then in Jan.

she started again. I did not breed her. Well 3 weeks ago, she had a beautiful leopard filly for me.

Sure glad I did not breed her and abort this baby. I would so have died. This is my dream filly.

Vicky

We have 1 stallion who is a nightime breeder for years there was no way this guy would touch a mare if it was light out. What a quirk for hand breeding till l got fed up and decide to stick the mare in with him before l would go to bed and let her out in the morning before feeding till she was out of heat. He must have liked it that way he got all his mares settled and we never for years have actually seen him breed a mare but we can hear them at night and l'd just mark the dates on my calender. :lol: :lol:

Oh YES- Rabbit's father was eleven years old when I bought him. He had bred around ten- twenty mares a year for most of hos life (owner was a BIG breeder) and he had NEVER been seen to breed a mare- yet he had ten - twenty foals on the ground every year!!

Breeding in hand came as a bit of a culture shock to him, but he did get the hang in the end- and I also compromised!!

He always knew when a mare was in true heat.

Rabbit has hand bred only all his life and he would breed ANYTHING at any time if I told him to!!

I have a mare, Rabbits grand daughter, who is showing signs of heat but I am NOT convinced.

I let Rabbit breed her today as he does not push himself in where he does not fit, if you get my drift.

She did stand for him but he could not make a full entry, so he didn't. (Good Boy!!) I think the mare is set- I know this line of mares does return in false heat.

I would get your mare checked, I really would, before I covered her again.

there are only a few days in the heat cycle that the mare is ovulating and a good stallion knows when that is. He wont waste his time with a mare that isnt ready. Tamale is like this and i love it. saves time and wasted energy on a mare thats not ovulationg

Stallions usually don't lie- I have never had one anyhow.... I would have the mare checked to see if she is already bred... or a possible infection or other problem.

We had tried breeding a full sized mare for several heats- had the vet out- gave shots, etc... no luck. Each heat cycle the stallion was less and less enthusiastic. The vet was at wits end, but that mare never did settle and stallion finally completely lost interest in her.

I think they know more about breeding than we do!!!

Back