breeding color question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.T

Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys thought or had experiences with about breeding an appy stud to a silver black(dappled) mare. I have a mare that we will eventually breed but probably not for a few years and we already know the stallion we would breed her to but I was just curious about what color the foal would turn out to be or what people thought the foal could be.

here is the mare(don't mind the black spots on her it was treated)

24w7og3.jpg
">

and here is the stallion

Sonny2010x.jpg

What color is the appy stud? He looks kinda brown in that picture, but sometimes colors are different in pictures.

I really think the stallion is actually silver bay and not sorrel. Who are his sire and dam? The foal will have a 50% chance of getting the appaloosa gene from the stallion, but appaloosa comes in many different forms and you could get solid with characteristics or varnish or blanketed or leopard-that's the thing with apps, you just never know
default_smile.png
As far as base color, that would depend on whether or not the mare and stallion are homozygous or heterozygous for black and silver, but you'll most likely get silver black, silver bay, black, bay, and then maybe sorrel.

Has the mare been tested for LWO?

Has the mare been tested for LWO?
His owner has sorrel listed on her website but I don't know. And yes she has been tested negative for LWO. his sire is Sulphuras Red Hawk Legacy and his dam is Sulphuras Moonlite Song. her sire is kickapoo nickelodeon and her dam is rha private mischief.

The foal will have a 50% chance of getting the appaloosa gene from the stallion, but appaloosa comes in many different forms and you could get solid with characteristics or varnish or blanketed or leopard-that's the thing with apps, you just never know
default_smile.png
As far as base color, that would depend on whether or not the mare and stallion are homozygous or heterozygous for black and silver, but you'll most likely get silver black, silver bay, black, bay, and then maybe sorrel.
That's what I do. I run the possibilities through that colour calculator and then just factor in a 50% chance of appie.

Back